I have this blues band and it seems like they only want to play upbeat fast songs. We just started jamming seriously and we only know a few songs like House Is Rockin', Johnny B. Goode, Crossroads, etc. just some generic 12 bar blues. While the 12 bar blues is fun, it gets so boring doing it over and over. Let me introduce my band a little bit.

My bassist is VERY into the "rules" of blues. Whenever a root chord DOESN'T go to the 4 chord, he thinks the song is messed up. He is very good with theory, and a good bassist, very experienced, BUT he is too into generic stuff. He also ALWAYS wants a bass solo, most songs just don't call for it. He isn't even that great at improvising

My keyboardist is awesome. Very good at soloing and knows more theory than anyone I know. He really isn't too much of a problem.

My drummer is fine. He's a decent drummer.

Ok, now to the problem. It just seems like my bassist and keyboardist want to play lead a lot. I am sick of those 12 bar blueses so I decided that we should all learn Gravity by John Mayer (we have a system in picking songs to practice over). When we started to play it, it seems like everyone was whining. They were saying how they were all getting bored because its a slow song. I took a lot of soloing time and my keyboardist took some solos but I am a bass solo in that song just DOESN'T work! My bassist is always saying how all hes doing is playing a few notes. I told him that in some songs, thats what bassists do like in some songs I just play a few chords. No one wants to play the song anymore because they feel like they don't have a part. What do I do? Its rediculous to say that every song needs a solo for them! Same as its rediculous to have a billion guitar solos.
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

what you gotta do i lay it on the line that bands must progress and you guys are at a standstill. maybe you should try a faster rock song. something by like the police, bon jovi, early beatles, etc
you just witnessed the heart-stopping, door-locking, history makin, pants-droppin, earth-shakin, body quakin, lip-quivering, body-tickilin, love-makin fang
yea but sometimes a slow groove is exactly what I need. I don't mind playing their songs that they want to play, but my bassist will just NOT let loose. He has these friggin rules he has to follow. Gravity isn't that kind of song. I told them "ill solo until I get bored, you solo after me until you get bored, etc" and my bassist is saying "Well I need to know how many bars!" It just isn't that kind of song. It is very open
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Look at each other when you're practicing. Nodding to the bassist and/or the rest of the band when you decide that this run through of the chord progression is that last you'll solo over is all it takes - instantly, everyone knows they only have 8/12/etc bars left of your solo, they know when the song is coming back in, your drummer is forwarned so he can put a quick fill in at the end etc.

It really is that easy, especially for relaxed songs - the rest of the band can kind of switch off into the groove until that signal from you. And the best thing is that it works on stage too...
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
yea like instead of counting or timing the lead singer can well lets go, put their hand up, nod their head, etc.
you just witnessed the heart-stopping, door-locking, history makin, pants-droppin, earth-shakin, body quakin, lip-quivering, body-tickilin, love-makin fang
I think somebody needs to call a band meeting...
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
^definitely. & if they refuse then it's time to move on bro
Well, I'm a bassist, and I would love to have a major part in every song, but it just doesn't always work. Sometimes I just have to hold back for the sake of progression. The band wouldn't get anywhere if I didn't. Just explain that to him.
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
Maybe try to get them to play some bluesy sounding songs that are not 12 bar blues?

Bassists (and rhythm instruments in general) need to realize that they are not always going to have the most interesting part of a song. Of course it is fun and sounds good to create parts in songs that are more than just basic root notes of chords, but too many solos and fills really sounds too cluttered and unnecessary.
exactly like a rock blues song by like stevie ray vaughn
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
I have this blues band and it seems like they only want to play upbeat fast songs. We just started jamming seriously and we only know a few songs like House Is Rockin', Johnny B. Goode, Crossroads, etc. just some generic 12 bar blues. While the 12 bar blues is fun, it gets so boring doing it over and over. Let me introduce my band a little bit.

My bassist is VERY into the "rules" of blues. Whenever a root chord DOESN'T go to the 4 chord, he thinks the song is messed up. He is very good with theory, and a good bassist, very experienced, BUT he is too into generic stuff. He also ALWAYS wants a bass solo, most songs just don't call for it. He isn't even that great at improvising

My keyboardist is awesome. Very good at soloing and knows more theory than anyone I know. He really isn't too much of a problem.

My drummer is fine. He's a decent drummer.

Ok, now to the problem. It just seems like my bassist and keyboardist want to play lead a lot. I am sick of those 12 bar blueses so I decided that we should all learn Gravity by John Mayer (we have a system in picking songs to practice over). When we started to play it, it seems like everyone was whining. They were saying how they were all getting bored because its a slow song. I took a lot of soloing time and my keyboardist took some solos but I am a bass solo in that song just DOESN'T work! My bassist is always saying how all hes doing is playing a few notes. I told him that in some songs, thats what bassists do like in some songs I just play a few chords. No one wants to play the song anymore because they feel like they don't have a part. What do I do? Its rediculous to say that every song needs a solo for them! Same as its rediculous to have a billion guitar solos.

Blues doesn't have rules. Look to John Lee Hooker, with his changing rhythms and one chord songs. Your bassist seems... idk how to put it exactly, but ill informed.

Gravity is a good song for those transferring into blues from a lighter genre, but I find it a little too light. How bout something like Spoonful or Smokestack Lightning? You can work with those songs because they are very simple, so different solos can be added anywhere.
i think that you can find a more rockin song than gravity
you could make "lead" bassist parts here and there. With what you have, you could make some very interesting stuff yourselves, where everyone get's to be a part of it.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Try to write your own song where everybody can have their own opinion and then everybody should be happy...
exactly if you write your own song showing off the bassist & u & the drummer then you would be in good shape