http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-TB-Precision-Bass?sku=519758

Does Fender make a copy of this bass? I like them and hope there is a higher quality bass out there. And no, I'm not saying Squiers blow balls, I'm just saying I would rather have Fender quality.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
I don't know, but I have played one of those.

It played fine, but it was through a REALLY sh*tty amp, so I can't say much about the tone.
Moser Custom Shop 5-string Scimitar
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
Holy shit... buy that now! It's a whole 40 cents off!

Anyway, no, Fender does not make a bass like that. Nobody in their right minds would pay any more than that price for a bass like that. It's really a niche bass and is as good as one like that is going to get.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by RockinPorsche
It's called a Fender '51 Bass:
http://www.music123.com/Fender-51-Precision-Bass-511249-i1146769.Music123

Also the Sting artist model bass looks the same, if you want to search for that.

The '51 Precision has a completely different pickup and therefore completely different sound.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I kinda like that bass. But Fender hasnt made one of those in a while, and doesnt make one now. I havent played that particular bass, but the Vintage Modified basses seem to be verrrry good for the price, and for being Squiers.
Quote by thefitz
Holy shit... buy that now! It's a whole 40 cents off!

Anyway, no, Fender does not make a bass like that. Nobody in their right minds would pay any more than that price for a bass like that. It's really a niche bass and is as good as one like that is going to get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10C68Gzd5GM
Aha, you cannot tell me that sounds bad.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
The closest thing Fender makes to that is the Big Block, which has a humbucker at the bridge, not the neck.

If you really want that sound, you'll have to go with Squier. But the quality on the VM series basses is pretty good, so don't fuss too much.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by JobyByTheNight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10C68Gzd5GM
Aha, you cannot tell me that sounds bad.

The recorded version of a song doesn't always use the instrument used in the video- example: Dirk Lance never used his Warwick Infinity in the recording of Drive, even though it shows him playing it in the video.

EDIT: And that was a sh*t cover version. That man's voice annoys me to high heaven alongside that bass tone.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The recorded version of a song doesn't always use the instrument used in the video- example: Dirk Lance never used his Warwick Infinity in the recording of Drive, even though it shows him playing it in the video.

Man, got my hopes up too. I love that tone.

EDIT: And that was a sh*t cover version. That man's voice annoys me to high heaven alongside that bass tone.

Hey man, I don't wan't to fight my opinion, But it's what you think and I think you're wrong. IMO Cake is the sh!t and that tone is too. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Quote by JobyByTheNight

Hey man, I don't wan't to fight my opinion, But it's what you think and I think you're wrong. IMO Cake is the sh!t and that tone is too. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.

You posted the video, obviously looking for opinions on the tone. I gave you it.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

yeah the same thing when steve harris used his lado unicorn on the ace high video but he used his trusty p bass
That probably is the tone of the (ash) bass in question. Dude, that's about as muffled as a bass tone can get, and that's about as bright as that bass gets, too. It sounds like the amp is hidden underground.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSW2cDqTvAY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpH0xJvL4C4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SlJdlYcpGg&feature=related
You really want a bass that sounds like the above three clips?

EDIT: Don't start that nonsense "if you don't like it don't watch it" bullshit, please. You posted the clip for us to watch. That arguement makes as much sense as "if you like it, don't post it."
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Apr 9, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You posted the video, obviously looking for opinions on the tone. I gave you it.

yeah, your right, it was my fault for posting the vid. But the voice thing was a tad bit unneccesary.

Edit: Sorry Fitz, I'm apologizing for jumping on Delirium. I posted the video, And I shoudn't have expected everyone to like it, that would just be ignorant.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Last edited by JobyByTheNight at Apr 9, 2008,
Quote by dude-1
Don't worry, we all know Squier blows balls.

You must not have played the VM Jazz and a lot of other Basses. Squier does make some very solid basses. I do not like how they always get a bad rep with certain people.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
In that first video, is that the one of the P-Bass tones? I'm in love...

awesome bassline too
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Quote by BassRichardson
You must not have played the VM Jazz and a lot of other Basses. Squier does make some very solid basses. I do not like how they always get a bad rep with certain people.

Well, you're talking to someone who's jammed with Alembic basses and guitars for hours on end, so...
Quote by dude-1
Well, you're talking to someone who's jammed with Alembic basses and guitars for hours on end, so...

Really? Usually people who've played with Alembic basses and guitars have some class and don't talk about how an instrument "blows balls."
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Really? Usually people who've played with Alembic basses and guitars have some class and don't talk about how an instrument "blows balls."

Never said I owned it.
the forum's been testy of late...

ON TOPIC: I think the closest thing youre gunna get is the Sting or Dirnt Basses
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Quote by dude-1
Never said I owned it.

Don't recall using that word either.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Don't recall using that word either.

Well, then I guess I should say that just because you've played an Alembic does NOT mean you have class. But seriously, Squier is "The other child" in the Fender family.
Quote by dude-1
Well, then I guess I should say that just because you've played an Alembic does NOT mean you have class. But seriously, Squier is "The other child" in the Fender family.

Who said I've played Alembic?

Look, the point is, if you're going to talk down on an instrument, you gotta do better than that - especially with a brand in general. And if someone questions you on that, don't think dropping a company name's gonna do it. You can't have the notion of "I have standards" following "it sucks balls."
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Who said I've played Alembic?

Look, the point is, if you're going to talk down on an instrument, you gotta do better than that - especially with a brand in general. And if someone questions you on that, don't think dropping a company name's gonna do it. You can't have the notion of "I have standards" following "it sucks balls."

Standards are a bit different from class. Like, I can have standards as far as the women that I'm attracted to, but I can also be a fat-ass like Noah Hill and have about as much class as a bum. Also, I didn't mean YOU played Alembics.
methinks this needs to be closed, or taken to PM
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Quote by dude-1
Standards are a bit different from class. Like, I can have standards as far as the women that I'm attracted to, but I can also be a fat-ass like Noah Hill and have about as much class as a bum. Also, I didn't mean YOU played Alembics.

Fair enough. I just think if you're going to have standards, you should have standards with word choice, as well. I'm not a big fan of one-sentence flame responses followed by a hint of elitism.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Fair enough. I just think if you're going to have standards, you should have standards with word choice, as well. I'm not a big fan of one-sentence flame responses followed by a hint of elitism.

Well, I'm not totally an elitist. I mean, I myself play the lower-end Ibanez basses/guitars. I'm just not a huge fan of Squier (although their Deluxe J-bass seems pretty sweet).
Quote by dude-1
Well, I'm not totally an elitist. I mean, I myself play the lower-end Ibanez basses/guitars. I'm just not a huge fan of Squier (although their Deluxe J-bass seems pretty sweet).

Try their Vintage Modified series.

Squier serves the purpose they are made to serve. They are, for the most part, starter instruments, designed to be inexpensive, as far as guitars and basses go. Mission accomplished.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by Mongoose87
Mission accomplished.

HIGH FIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread needs to be closed.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
The vintage modified line of squire is definitely fender quality.

Some even compare them to MIA fenders, so I don't know what you're talking about.
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"
What the **** are lady lumps? What does she have, breast cancer?

Bacchus basses FTW!
www.japanvintageguitars.com
Quote by aixelsydevahi
If you want a Fender version of that bass, you're going to have to go vintage.

Nope...http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-reissue-51/9659

ok, its not 100% the same, but shape, etc are the same

In regard to a sunburst one, the sting signature precision is in the same shape as the '51 reissue but in a sunburst finish
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Quote by stevo192
Nope...http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-reissue-51/9659

ok, its not 100% the same, but shape, etc are the same

In regard to a sunburst one, the sting signature precision is in the same shape as the '51 reissue but in a sunburst finish

The pick-up is different. The Squier has a humbucker, while the Fender has a vintage style single coil P. And as thefitz pointed out, they may look the same, but they will sound different.
Quote by benco
The vintage modified line of squire is definitely fender quality.

Some even compare them to MIA fenders, so I don't know what you're talking about.

They're good but I wouldn't go so far as to say they compare with MIA basses. They definitely give the MIMs a run for their money though.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!