Hey guys. I've got a new problem. See, I'm eventually going to get a tube amp (I don't have anything as I'm still an electric virgin) because I can't go past the tone. However, as we all know, 99% of all tube amps are without a headphone jack.

So, I want to know if the couple of methods that are rarely talked about are any good?

1. Can I get a multi-effects unit or something, turn everything off, have no loss in tube sound quality whatsoever and plug my headphones in? I want to emphasise "no loss in tube sound quality". I know that many people complain about the quality of multi-effects units, and that's fine because I don't really want one. Maybe the little pocket pod or something? How are they?

2. Do those headphone things from Weber work?

3. Off my topic, but if I can't get a headphone solution, do the Weber attenuators allow me play cranked but quiet? I don't quite understand how they work. And are they good? Do they affect tone?

Btw, I'm aware of the amplugs, I just wanted to have the tone, settings etc. of my own amp.

Thanks in advance.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Last edited by syk3d at Apr 9, 2008,
If your amp has a Line Out jack, or a 16 Ohm speaker jack(altho im really not too sure about that), and you have a headphone->1/4" jack converter, you can use your headphones from that. SkullCandy includes that jack in the package with the larger, DJ-style headphones. And they make some rly good quality stuff, too. That should work, and on the package, the impedance is listed at 16 Ohms, so that might work as well.
Is using headphones in the line out bad for the amp? Wait, I might be thinking of something else. But wouldn't the sound still come out of the speaker? (I don't know much about amps)
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Um sometimes if I can't use my amps I go guitar-(line in)-MultiFX-(line out with 1/4" to 1/8" adapter)-headphones. I use the Korg Toneworks series and they sound amazing for the price. I can't honesty recommend you to spend too much on multi-efx but try using a quality headphone plugged into a Korg Toneworks pedal.

EDIT: I do it direct input, no amp line-out is used.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Quote by qotsa1998
If your amp has a Line Out jack, or a 16 Ohm speaker jack(altho im really not too sure about that), and you have a headphone->1/4" jack converter, you can use your headphones from that. SkullCandy includes that jack in the package with the larger, DJ-style headphones. And they make some rly good quality stuff, too. That should work, and on the package, the impedance is listed at 16 Ohms, so that might work as well.

While not to knock on this guy's opinion. I highly recommended you test out Skull Candy headphones before you buy them. I have listened to a few buddies skullcandy headphones and they sound like crap to me. I'd rather not listen to music through them at all. You can get same quality for 1/4 the price. Or good quality for similar prices. They are all about image.
If you primarily going playing with headphone then you're better off forget the idea of buying a tube amp.

Get yourself a POD unit from line 6. They make the best amp simulations with some of them are pretty close to of a real tube sound.
Pocket pod is a good unit but I would suggest you to go for a XT or even X3 version. Pocket POD is made for being portable. No direct USB recording. Bad battery time (4~ hours for one set of 4xAAA), power adapter is not included but u can still buy one. And to be honest, this unit gives me some headache trying to navigate the settings menu.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by SQHero
Um sometimes if I can't use my amps I go guitar-(line in)-MultiFX-(line out with 1/4" to 1/8" adapter)-headphones. I use the Korg Toneworks series and they sound amazing for the price. I can't honesty recommend you to spend too much on multi-efx but try using a quality headphone plugged into a Korg Toneworks pedal.

EDIT: I do it direct input, no amp line-out is used.

I do the same thing as well with my toneworks processor. I also record from the pedal's lineout and use a 1/4 to 1/8th adaptor and plug into my computer for recording
Headphones and a tube amp are not compatible, as is tube amp and quiet playing. I can't play my 5W valve junior in the house because it is too loud. I practice with my toneport and headphones and it is ok, it just doesn't satisfy. I would try the weber attenuator they get great reviews, I was about to go that route but instead am building a little 1/2 watt amp.
Epi SG G400 Lefty
Modded Valve Junior
Noisy Cricket 1/2 Watt

Toneport GX
I was wondering one thing. I have a Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb and there's no headphone output on it but would it be possible to plug my headphones into the int. speaker output?
no...get a weber minimaxx attenuator or a multieffects unit...it is a power to magent thing and plugging headphones into a speaker output is not going to do it unless it is a solid state amp with jack...

right? i need to know myself

search on Headphones and Tube Combos idk
;
Some tube amps have a line out which basically makes the amp function as a pre amp (I'd remember some Engl, Blackmoore I think), in this case you could connect it to e.g. a MFX unit and use it's speaker modelling. This is more of an exception than a rule though. Mostly you always need to have a load connected to the amp, in most cases this is in the form of a speaker. If you want to get your sound to a pair of headphones, while the amp is quiet, then you'd need a load box with either a line out (which you send to something with a headphone amp), or just a direct headphone output. You'd also probably want something which functions as a speaker simulator.

The Weber Headphone Tap would work straight to headphones (although I don't know if it even has a speaker simulator in it), while I believe the MASS has a line out.

Some other products you can take a look at, which you could either plug a headphone straight into, or get a line out from:
- Palmer PDI-03 and PGA-04
- Koch Load Box
- THD Hot Plate
- TAD Silencer
... and similar products.
Last edited by whoismilan at Apr 12, 2008,
tnx on the summary of other options. period. +1 whoismilan
my challenge/research has been as to what is a true tube amp with sound out versus hybrids that claim to be tube and happen to have headphone jack.

hybrid - i understand. pure tube? - no cause the preamp and power tubes is what loads the speaker (and as you can imagine would melt a pair of headsets if tone was accomplished in desired result)

right? -still learning- but it seems to me that if you have a true tube amp for preamp and power then you can't get automatic headphone jack. most hybrids these days can accomodate for that because they have a certain amount of solid state circuitry...too tired and need to use the Search button more
it's all there-

I'm a fan for example - but the Vox Valvetronix should not be posting their product on GCs web site as BOTH Hybrid and Tube combo. Wrong imo, you are either one or the other.
nuff said - night
;
Thanks for the help there guys, but I think that I'm going to scrap the headphone idea. I would rather have that beautiful tube tone. Besides, tubes are meant to be played loud and proud right? I might get a little Valve Junior and OD pedal, then I can play relatively quietly. It isn't that big of a deal really.
Quote by imthehitcher

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.