Page 1 of 3
Are your parents the "I will love your musical ability to the death!"

Or are they "It's not piano, and you're not a football player, GTFO."

Mine are supportive, but not to the extent of "Sure we'll loan you $100 for a guitar, it's for a good cause."

I can't expect them to, so it's not a bad thing altogether.
My parents aren't to keen on me spending all my cash on gear.

Not that I''m very talented at the guitar or anything though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
yea pretty much same as the above they don't like how much i spend on it but my mom is much more supportive of it then my dad which doesnt take much
they help support me and actually like how i play(i think they are just making that up to make me feel better though )
Well, when I started, my parents were supportive, especially considering my dad likes Death metal and grindcore, and recently black metal, so he was basically all for it, and my mom didn't really care.

Now, they don't give two ****s.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
My dad plays, so yea, but to an extent. Its mostly the money thats the problem. Thank good ness for commissioned salesmen, or else i would have a very bad sub-$100 amp, instead of a Peavey VK on layaway. And volume. My parents like a relatively quiet house, which is kind of a problem, esp. with tubes.
Yes very much so, they always have trust in me (in the long run, atleast).
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

my grandma bought me my first guitar when i was 12-- it was a samick acoustic
ever since then i've paid for my own ****. it's not that my parents aren't supportive... but they pay for a good amount of **** that's not musical equipment (ie. college.) so yeah i'm not all that against paying for my own stuff.

Though when i blast my amp and my mom comes home from work, she gets pretty pissed
my parents are cool with it, they dont give me money, but that enjoy watching me spend my money on my hobbies. i have quite a few of them...
CARVINITES UNITE!

7th

IV
my mom is like ya keep playing

my dad is like i'll buy u **** but you gota keep playing football you too good 2 quit
Quote by jakewynnrocks
marshall has half stacks for only 600, but i dont know if theyre any good. seems like a good deal....
Well yeah seeing as im not really good at anything else my parents are cool with it.My dad doesnt show any interest in my guitar playing or my other kind of playing for that matter but every now and then he will come in and listen if im playing one of the tunes from back in his day.But my mom is way more supportive.they are better than most but they werent to happy when i told them im gonna play music as a career(and no its not the rock band pipedream,im a classically trained brass player so studio musician).
In our attempt to seek individualty,we have all become the same

Im so hardcore I could kick a puppy right now
i dont think they really care that much. i mean like they dont say "YAY! YOU ARE SO SPECIAL AND AMAZING!" but they also dont say "YOU SUCK! GO KILL YOURSELF!" so yea. its kinda like they dont really care
Quote by campbell92
Do you actually dance after each post you make?

...that would be so badass.

!!PanterA!!

Memeber #7 of the Altar Of Slayer!!
Here's my situation:

Dad: Wow, that was a cool riff, teach me that! *picks up guitar and starts playing*

Mom: Roooon! Put that down and come watch Idol!

Dad: Another time, Mark...

OR

Mom: Ughhhh turn it down!
No.

Well, they ESPECIALLY hated it when I first got one, but now that I actually don't suck they've changed their tune. My dad honestly didn't object to it ever, but my mom was intent on the fact that it would be a waste of money and that I had to take lessons and all this other nonsense. Since then I've received a Morley wah from her for Christmas... that's the extent of support, besides her being nice about it now instead of such a downer.

Probably the turning point was when we got into an argument and she asked me "Why can't you play any songs all the way through?" As if that's a true measure of skill. I mentioned to her that I do that with friends and that I spend alone time practicing. Then I belted out an extended version of Paranoid for five minutes with a solo that was not half bad for someone who had been playing five months, and yelled to her "THAT GOOD?"

I then mentioned that it was boring and repetitive without singing or without any other instruments. And that's about it.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
They're supportive but not to an extent where they help me purchase my equipment. Lets see how supportive they'll be when I get my amp already.
my parents support my playing. they would pay for my lessons when i didnt have the money
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
yea, my dad's a luthier, so hes pretty much ok with it. my mom plays some too.
I have no opinion on this matter.
My mom loves that I play guitar. She used to play back in the day, and she asked me to re-teach her, and it is fun. I just taught her a Aerials on guitar, and it is fun to watch a 50+ woman playing that song, but awesome.

My dad likes me playing too, but thinks I spend spend too much of my money on gear, which I do.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
My parents are fine with it. They don't give me money, and they hate when I spend money on gear but there is nothing they can do about that since its my money, plus I told them that I plan on music being somewhere in my future(luthier, session guitarist, anything). My parents flipped the F out when I got my H&K, my mom heard the price(1500) and thought I was ridiculous, I still haven't told my dad how much I paid(I told him I got it for $600 ) because I know he would just give me a lecture about responsibility.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Well my mom isn't like, "Oh my God Mario, you're so amazing let's go buy you a JCM800 right now!" but she is supportive. If I play something particularly nice and she notices she'll give me a compliment and she tells me, "Mario if I had all the money in the world I'd buy you whatever gear you want, I wish I had that money to." It's a shame that we're not rich but we're not poor, just getting by .
both my parents hate that i play music =/ they always put me down everytime i pick up a guitar
I breathe air.
My mom brags about me to all of her friends, I hate it.

My dad's a musician, so he's really supportive, and I'm pretty sure my mom wants me to be famous so I can pay for her for the rest of her life.
Quote by AngelOfHatred
My mom brags about me to all of her friends, I hate it.

My dad's a musician, so he's really supportive, and I'm pretty sure my mom wants me to be famous so I can pay for her for the rest of her life.

Pay for me too!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by CarbonDeath
My mom loves that I play guitar. She used to play back in the day, and she asked me to re-teach her, and it is fun. I just taught her a Aerials on guitar, and it is fun to watch a 50+ woman playing that song, but awesome.

My dad likes me playing too, but thinks I spend spend too much of my money on gear, which I do.

Oh My God. Your mom loves SoaD? Or is it that song only? Either way, she rocks. And you rock for liking SoaD and teaching her that.
My mom keeps telling me to focus not on music but more on a degree for a surefire job. My dad wants me to get a degree on a more prominent job also, but he's more suppoertive of my music. He bought me a new amp and keeps pushing me to continue with my music
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Oh My God. Your mom loves SoaD? Or is it that song only? Either way, she rocks. And you rock for liking SoaD and teaching her that.

Lol, she doesn't mind System, I am trying to teach her Roulette from Steal This Album. I really wanna get her to the point that I can teach her Stabwound from Necrophagist, but I highly doubt that will happen.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
I'm picturing a middle aged, 5 foot tall, stocky woman shredding on a Rhoads.

Is this accurate?
Yep
Quote by LuthierofTexas
my parents both really support my guitar playing to the extent that my dad helped my buy basically all of my gear (check my profile for the list) and my mom straight up bought me my acoustic. it's awesome to have such supporting parents, as long as i keep my A average in school they have no problem helping me buy guitar related things.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
well my parents just bought me a Jackson RR1 and a 240 watt randall amp so yeah i guess they are
My parents are, they pay for half of my guitar lessons each month, though in addition I am supposed to play piano everyday (I play maybe every other day lol).

Also, they went halfsies on my acoustic guitar purchase, which was a $1000 guitar. They wont do it again though, so when I get a new electric it will be all me
Well my Dad is the reason I started playing, and since he plays, usually he'll get anything as long as it's musical/ good quality. He's 44 and he's been playing since he was 15 or so.

My mom likes my playing, they both encourage me. My dad forces me to learn scales xD because I can be lazy at times >.>
My Mum's always been supportive of my guitar playing, especially since my college put me on the 'gifted and talented' scheme.
My parents are very supportive of my musical abilities. Too be honest, I wouldn't give a crap if they weren't.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Page 1 of 3