Page 1 of 2
What do you guys thing bout shecters basses. Complaints, Praise??
What kinda genre do you like it for?
Oh god Delirium, you made me crack up.

A thousand internets for you.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
inb4fanboys

Schecters are solid specifically mid-range instruments that most fanboys say are all they'll ever need - until they try some proper modern American/German basses.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I would guess they wouldn't be good for country, but they are perfect for what I play. It sucks that no local shop's have any. EVER.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
i can't say anything about their basses, but their guitars are spot on. you pay half as much as you would if you bought a guitar of simillar quality from a larger company
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
Quote by thefitz
inb4fanboys

Schecters are solid specifically mid-range instruments that most fanboys say are all they'll ever need - until they try some proper modern American/German basses.

What would you recommend?
Quote by thefitz
inb4fanboys

This, without the strong negative vibe. I own a studio, and IMO it is much better than your typical MIM Fender. Its not too difficult to get one fairly cheap (less than new price), yet they hold their value well. If you like the sound, then get one. If you think its going to be as good as that 2000 dollar Warwick, you're kidding yourself. It makes a good gigging bass, and although the pups are quite hot, its not as if it can't be tamed. With a soft technique and smart EQing I can get a jazz (not Jaco) tone out of it. Its not a Jazz bass, its not a P bass, so if you want one of those don't get a Schecter.

IMO they totally kill MIM Fenders, but with the price raise on them, they are more in the category of Highway One, where it really comes down to personal preference.

Note, if you love humbuckers, and love the neck, this COULD be your last bass. Replace the pups and electronics, and you potentially are set for life.
Quote by thefitz

Schecters are solid specifically mid-range instruments.

+1

I've got an Elite-5 and it's good for the price but definitely not the best bass out there, but if you're looking for humbuckers and an active preamp(at least I think most if not all schecter's have these? except like the diamond J) then schecters are where its at
Member of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.

Member of the "Schecter Stiletto Players Will Rule The World" Club. PM Your41Plague12 or Fett13 to join.
i have yet to play a Schecter bass that I actually like. It seems the ones I have play never have a good set-up. This doesn't mean they are a bass instrument, its just very hard to like a company when all I get is fret buzz.
Quote by Lemmings311
What would you recommend?

Schecters are great basses in a certain price range, but there are a lot of options in that price range - you should check everything out you can.

For the post $1000-$1200 range, there are much better options. They are solid intermediate-level basses.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
inb4fanboys

Lol, this is exactly what happened to me . I was all content with my Shecter Custom-4, then I found a used American Jazz for $500, which I knew I would buy after about 5 minutes of playing it.

Schecter's basses, though, are very good for their price. The build quality on mine was very good, much better than almost any other bass in its price range. It also looks better than everything else in the price range. I'm just not a huge fan of the tone that the EMG hz humbuckers give... it just sounds so bland and neutral. So try one out and compare its sound to other basses; maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Not to highjack this thread or anything, but while we're on the sibject, how the hell do you pronouce 'Schechter'?. I don't wanna walk into a store and sound like a 'tard is all.
I really dislike the finished neck. Just gets too sticky. Go with an unfinished/wood stained neck. They're fast
Quote by Froggy McHop
Not to highjack this thread or anything, but while we're on the sibject, how the hell do you pronouce 'Schechter'?. I don't wanna walk into a store and sound like a 'tard is all.

I assume its like School.

Sk-eech-er
Sk-eecht-er
Sk-eech-ter

Its the T that gives me troubles.
Quote by terb
i have yet to play a Schecter bass that I actually like. It seems the ones I have play never have a good set-up. This doesn't mean they are a bass instrument, its just very hard to like a company when all I get is fret buzz.

i love mine. but it did need a truss rod adjustment. i have c 5 elite. its great
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
I played a Schecter Extreme in soundcontrol. Now, 'Extreme' sounds awesome, just with the name, but the bass had no 'zing' whatsoever, in comparison to the Spector. It was too warm for me, and I felt it had a bland tone. So I'd only recommend Schecters over £350 or so, starting with the Extreme and the Custom, even though they didn't have any in stock.

EDIT: and I pronounce it 'Sheck-ter'
signature
Quote by terb
hmmm i pronounce it
"sh-ek-ter"
kinda like Shrek (the movie) but no "r"

Ditto
Quote by Anti-bucket
Ditto

I've only ever heard it pronounced that way.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
I've only ever heard it pronounced that way.

yes but as you can see, some people are 'special'.
Go into a music store and pronounce it the way you think it is. I've never met a music store employee who wouldn't implicitly correct your pronouncation. Like I asked for some "shawler" strap locks, and they said "here are your SHALE-R strap locks". I was talking about my old "Charvull" guitar, and they said "Yeah, CHAR-VELLE is a cool company."
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Go into a music store and pronounce it the way you think it is. I've never met a music store employee who wouldn't implicitly correct your pronouncation. Like I asked for some "shawler" strap locks, and they said "here are your SHALE-R strap locks". I was talking about my old "Charvull" guitar, and they said "Yeah, CHAR-VELLE is a cool company."

I'll test that out and ask to try out a "Lay - Paul" guitar.
Quote by thegiaco2112
I have a Stilletto Custom 5 string and its good its not the " omfg its the best bass guitar in the word " but it works for the music I play

High five! I share the same feeling...I love my Custom-5, but of course I recognize that there are much better basses out there
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
If your set on a schecter, please get one with EMGs in it. They may be bland, but IMO they are much much better than the schecter own pickups in their other basses now.

I went to Sound Control in Birmingham (had a day out ) and tried The Hell-raiser 4 string which had emgs (which was pretty good, i prefered the tone from it to the thunderbird, and the other shecter basses, and a J bass through a random line 6 amp, other basses where through an ashdown ) and a 004 series bass, which now has those schecter pickups i was on about. Bleargh is my only response. That bass itself was fantastic though, if out of tune a heck of a lot.
Quote by IndianRockStar
This, without the strong negative vibe. I own a studio, and IMO it is much better than your typical MIM Fender. Its not too difficult to get one fairly cheap (less than new price), yet they hold their value well. If you like the sound, then get one. If you think its going to be as good as that 2000 dollar Warwick, you're kidding yourself. It makes a good gigging bass, and although the pups are quite hot, its not as if it can't be tamed. With a soft technique and smart EQing I can get a jazz (not Jaco) tone out of it. Its not a Jazz bass, its not a P bass, so if you want one of those don't get a Schecter.

IMO they totally kill MIM Fenders, but with the price raise on them, they are more in the category of Highway One, where it really comes down to personal preference.

Note, if you love humbuckers, and love the neck, this COULD be your last bass. Replace the pups and electronics, and you potentially are set for life.

this is pretty much the way i feel. Obviously there are better basses out there, but for the price, i think it's one of the better basses in the 5-600 range. It mostly depends on if you like the coated neck, and the humbuckers, some people don't (*cough*Jazzy*cough*)
Personally, the neck doesn't bother me at all, (i don't even notice it) however, i'm not a huge fan of the humbuckers. I like their sound, but sometimes i just feel like they're a bit limiting, they make it difficult to get to get a huge range of tones. But like Indian said, i can still get an ok jazz tone out of them.

Now you guys might criticize me for not being *omg Schecter=teh sex, lulz best bass ever* like i was when i wrote my BOTM review, but that's because I know a little more about EQing. The only idea i've had that's changed is about the pickups, i wish they were a little more versatile, so when i'm actually equing to get a specific tone, it would come out a lot better. So, i've cooled off a lot on my schecter fanboyism (i don't think i ever said they were the best, but i'm sure i've recommended them several times, so i'm sure some of fitz's comments were directed at me). I'm still sticking to my stance that they are one of the best in the $5-600 price range (although it's a bit tougher with that price raise) and that that the custom is one of the sexiest basses i've ever seen.

and yes, it's pronounced shek-ter, not Skekter. But like the fitz says, music shop employees will be happy to politefully point out the fact that you are the biggest idiot in the whole world for not understanding how to pronounce the name of a brand which is probably named after someone's last name, which would have a distinct pronunciation based on region dialect. Obviously, knowing brand names differentiates your status among elite musicians.

I pronounced I-ba-nez as E-ban-yez once, and all hell broke loose. Obviously the fact that i didn't realize that it didn't have the spanish diacritical mark to make my pronunciation correct, mad me stupid.
Last edited by Zar938 at Apr 10, 2008,
Directed at you? Since when am I remotely subtle?

I don't think I ever read your BOTM fully - but the point is there was a time in this forum where a Schecter was the only recommended bass under $1200. Some can make the arguement that it's the same now with Jazz basses, but to them I say "go back and play your Thunderbird."
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by |Heretic|
If your set on a schecter, please get one with EMGs in it. They may be bland, but IMO they are much much better than the schecter own pickups in their other basses now.

I went to Sound Control in Birmingham (had a day out ) and tried The Hell-raiser 4 string which had emgs (which was pretty good, i prefered the tone from it to the thunderbird, and the other shecter basses, and a J bass through a random line 6 amp, other basses where through an ashdown ) and a 004 series bass, which now has those schecter pickups i was on about. Bleargh is my only response. That bass itself was fantastic though, if out of tune a heck of a lot.

birmingham alabama?
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Quote by thefitz
Directed at you? Since when am I remotely subtle?

I don't think I ever read your BOTM fully - but the point is there was a time in this forum where a Schecter was the only recommended bass under $1200. Some can make the arguement that it's the same now with Jazz basses, but to them I say "go back and play your Thunderbird."

oh, definitely. however the schecter love has worn off recently, but a few months ago, everyone was all over schecter anytime anyone mentioned an intermediate bass. But then directly after that, everyone was all over Carvin any time anyone mentioned a quality amp. (not a knock on carvin, btw, as i've never played one) don't really know if it's changed, as i haven't been here over the last month or so.

i guess this forum is just full of followers. case in point, my thoughts on schecter changing. I hate to feel hypocritical, but the fact that my p.o.v. is now in line with the rest of the thread pretty much just proves that i am.
I think the folks who get annoyed at the alleged "hive mind" stigma that some products have typically tend to have something against the product or take someone making a "hive minded" recommendation over their own personally. Like a lot of T-Bird supporters complaining that people only recommend Jazzes, or don't tell you a Jazzes (nonexistant) downfalls.

If someone calls me a follower, I'll tell them that I can factually back up every single thing I believe in. If someone calls me a follower-spawner, then I'll tell them that my factual backing up is very convincing. I really don't believe that people have beliefs because it's cool or because a certain person said it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
schecter body shapes confuse me. it's bizarre. they sound okay but the body shape really bugs me.
maybe I was deprived of something while young.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
No offense to all of the fan boys, but I prefer Spector over Schecter. I tried a Schecter out at GC, but for some reason it just did not fit me that well, it felt small in my hands and the bridge looked too spread out.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Well, if there was ever a thread for me to post in, this is it.

I play a Schecter Elite-4. I love my Schecter Elite-4. Sure there may be "better" basses out there, but I've never played one. "Better" is is a purely personal opinion that is generally based in fact (ie. a Thunderbird can never be "better" than anything else unless you are really, really, really, really, really REALLY drunk and/or high to the point of not even knowing what bass it is you are discussing because it has no positive qualities to speak of) and quite frankly I don't see what is so much "better" about and of the assorted other basses people like (Warwick, MM, etc.).

I've not found a more comfortable bass, a better sounding bass, or more versatile bass since I began playing. Every time I go into a guitar store, I make sure to try out as many basses as I can, of many varieties, but my opinion has not changed. I've played Highway 1 Jazz basses, I've played Stingrays, I've played assorted Warwick and Spector basses, but none of them compare to my Schecter.

You can call me a fanboy all you want, but I stand by my opinion and always will. I've had this bass for at least two years, maybe longer, now and I still have yet to play anything else that made me even stop for a second and think it might be a better choice. I didn't just buy the bass, refuse to play anything else and say its the best, I did, and still continue to this day, play other basses to see what else there is, but nothing has changed my mind yet.

As for "proper American/German basses," well, Schecter is an American company with all quality control and setup done in the USA, for all of their instruments. That's more than even Fender can say, and I doubt anyone here would hesitate to call them a proper American bass.

And finally, no one can say I'm a follower seeing as how I started the whole movement myself quite some time ago, what, two years maybe? More even? In fact, that was all before your time Fitzy, wasn't it? Ah, damn, there I go again, makin' myself feel old in front of all you youngins.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by scawti
I'll test that out and ask to try out a "Lay - Paul" guitar.

My friend insists that Les Pauls are "Lay Pauls." For the past 4 years.

And to the threadstarter, you may also want to look at G&L Tribute basses. They are excellent, excellent instruments for the price - they have the exact same electronics as the standard G&L basses, but half the price.

They're probably one of the most versatile basses I've ever played. I'm seriously GASing for one.
Quote by thefitz
I think the folks who get annoyed at the alleged "hive mind" stigma that some products have typically tend to have something against the product or take someone making a "hive minded" recommendation over their own personally. Like a lot of T-Bird supporters complaining that people only recommend Jazzes, or don't tell you a Jazzes (nonexistant) downfalls.

If someone calls me a follower, I'll tell them that I can factually back up every single thing I believe in. If someone calls me a follower-spawner, then I'll tell them that my factual backing up is very convincing. I really don't believe that people have beliefs because it's cool or because a certain person said it.

I get extremely annoyed at hive mind and follower stuff. And you know I'm not a T-Bird supporter Although I do side with agathis, but I never try and throw my opinion across as fact (I don't think...).

Thing is, in the past, both you and Fett have put across opinion as fact.I may be wrong, but that's the way I've perceived it at times- for example "...a Jazz's (non-existant) downfalls"- complete opinion, that you've put through as fact. Someone, somewhere will have a problem with a Jazz bass. I don't like them. To me, they haven't got the tone I want, and that's a downfall. It's all opinion. When people go around spouting opinion as fact, that's what starts the mob mentality. It's a pain in the ass. The thing happened with Thunderbirds. I may also have gotten a little zealous about pointing out flaws as well, but f*ck it, if someone likes neck dive and a tone that I don't, great. Good for them. They shouldn't have to endure people jumping down their throat. As I said, I'm guilty of quoting opinion as fact, but I'm attempting at cutting down. Mainly by refusing to post in those godawful "OMGZ WHAT BASS SHOULD I GETZORZ!" threads. It just seems that the vast majority of people don't grasp that people's needs are extremely individual when it comes to an instrument, and the only way you should make a decision is with the bass in your hands.

As it's all about opinion, should we really be giving such opinionated views on basses when people ask for help in choosing one? I hate those kinds of threads. They defeat the purpose of going out and trying them yourself. Probably because of the internet. By all means, point out design flaws, things that may be a little misleading (infamous Behringer wattage, anyone?).

I know that may have sounded a little aimed towards you and Fett, Fitz... but it kinda trailed off into general ranting using you, as one of the most vocal members of the forum, as an example
To Fett: Yeah, I was going for "bombast" with that statement, but I was getting across that I think Schecter has it's foot in the mid-range market and I don't think they compare or are supposed to compare with MIG/CIG Fender/Warwick. And to compare Schecter to the brand that is Fender isn't really fair. There are many Schecters better than Fenders. None of which are MIA. Hence the distinction.

To Ben: We should all know by now that I don't subscribe to the PC philosophy. I'm not going to disclaim every single statement I make with "this is opinion, not fact", especially considering that pretty much EVERYTHING on this forum that isn't a quantity is opinion. Of course it's opinion! If you don't take every line you read on this forum with a grain of salt, you're a total idiot. It doesn't matter how persuasive the arguement is. I'm not going to NOT say something because it might be "understood as fact" and I'm not going to put a disclaimer on everything I say - a disclaimer that's bloody obvious to begin with! And while we're here (and maybe my latest blog will shine some context onto this), compared to a bass like the Thunderbird, the Jazz's flaws are just negligable. Really. "I don't like it" isn't a flaw. As far as the functionality and construction goes, there's really nothing to complain about it, other than a personal greivance with the instrument as a whole. I think it's really, really, really ****ing stupid to have to say "well you might not like the tone or something else about it so there" as the only problem with an instrument. And, for the record, I've said several times on-forum and in-blog that some people just don't get along with the instrument for some reason or another.

Should we really be giving our "opinion as fact" (again, pretty much EVERY SINGLE NON QUANTITY POST IS OPINION) to those who have no idea about anything? Uh... YES. I don't want ONE bassist going to a store not knowing anything about feel, construction, and tone because they heard "do whatever makes you happy at this exact moment, forget about where you might be in 2 months" which results in them owning a bass that feels and plays awfully, resulting in a tone that they eventually may not like, and them giving up on the instrument as a whole (and maybe even taking up guitar!) because playing the bass was a struggle, having to fight the instrument all the time. I think the "do what you want, I won't say anything unless it's 100% proven by everybody" view that to me a lot of people have does not help ANYBODY in the long run - even at that instant. Whether it be with technique, gear, or sandwiches, when someone asks the forum a question, they want a decisive answer. When someone wants to know something about technique, believe me, they're past the "just do it how you like " stage. They've been doing it that way already and it's not working. They could be much better in 2 months by taking someone's OPINIONATED advice than by doing what they were doing. I just can't support that and I simply refuse to keep quiet about things that I think (and probably do) help and apply to the vast majority because there might be a strange counterexample or because it might confuse the super-minority for 15 minutes. You really think it didn't occur to someone to just try crap out until they find something they like? Like... really? And if they ask to weed out the duds, you think we should keep quiet about what we think of certain basses JUST IN CASE they might like them, even though they might share our opinion? Like, why bother posting at all? If someone hounds a n00b to get a Jazz, they'll get an instrument that they won't have to fight with. They'll get the feel and the playability down. If it's not giving them a sound they want, they can play around with it until they get a sound they like. If they CAN'T, they'll at least had the experience of playing a properly-designed instrument. They can go to a store and LISTEN until they can get something they want. If that something is a T-Bird, great - I think they're bonkers, but great - but they'll KNOW that the instrument is something different and they'll be able to decide whether or not the downsides are worth it to them. They'll at least had the proper playing experience down before that. That makes a thousand times more sense than not saying anything because someone somewhere might not have it apply to them.

So, in conclusion, everything that's said on-forum that doesn't have a quantity attached to it is an opinion, and I don't think there's a need to redundantly state it all the time. If someone's too stupid to take it as anything other than that, at least he'll have some sound advice that'll take care of him until he smartens up and forms his own opinions. And for the record, every "LOL WUT bass should I get" post I respond to has a three letter response.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Apr 15, 2008,
Page 1 of 2