Well, i am new here... and im getting back into guitar its been about 3-4 years, and i only played for one year with a no name brand wal-mart kind of guitar package...

but now that i am keen on guitar, and its actually somthing i WANT to do now just for myself.

But if any one would like to help me give me some opinions it would be GREATLY appreciated.

ok, so basicaly im gatting back in to guitar i will list some bands i like as well as guitars i Like at, feel free to recomend any equipment.

Bands:
The Spill canvas
kill switch engage
as i lay dying
avenged sevenfold
LoveHatehero
Silverstein
Scary Kids Scaring Kids
The Sleeping
Saosin
alexisonfire
From autmn to ashes
Flyleaf
Excape the fate
And BlessTheFall
(those are just some)
i like more punk/metal also i like i dont know what i would call it? it sounds... verry calm... but extravagant? like the zakk wylde "Farewell Ballad . (link below)

also my favorite guitarists would be...
Zakk wylde ( him playing ) ((This sounds sooo good to me...))
Kevin thrasher (of LoveHateHero )
Michael Angelo Batio.

Guitars i have looked at (not many...)
Some Ibanes mostly the Rg370
an epiphone sg special
some esp guitars

i liked the Rg370 but im not shure about the Floyd rose thing... it seems cool, but a pain to use... and im not shure of the quality of it either. the guitar is used" and has minor pick scratches it sounded really good to me, but i wasnt shure if the guy was suckering me in to it, he played it on the Line 6 spider II amp.

im also thinking of getting a "Line 6 Spider II amp"

and i did read the guitar info thread.

My buget is around 400$ canadian for the guitar, and around 200 for the amp. im mostly getting this for my 16th birthdaw which is in about a week and a half, i have done alot of reading about guitars in the last couple of weeks, i don't want to buy a cheep starter guitar. i suppose i could throw a bit of my own money into the guitar or amp.

if you need to know somthing more, just ask i will gladly give info in exchange for help =)
My advice is to stay away from the Spider series amps.

If you want a good modelling amp, I suggest taking a look at the Vox Valvetronix series amps.

The Ibanez guitars are a good choice. They play very fast and are quite versatile.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Ibanez are pretty good, but be careful the edge III tremolo is a piece of junk. I got an ibanez RG350dxgp3 and within one week the edge III crapped out on me even after i got it repaired. I dont know if it was defective but i will not buy an Ibanez with an edge III again. As for the amp look into Orange if you can find them. they have some pretty nice amps. Although mine is a practice amp it is really loud and sounds great.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
Quote by metalhead_c-1
Ibanez are pretty good, but be careful the edge III tremolo is a piece of junk. I got an ibanez RG350dxgp3 and within one week the edge III crapped out on me even after i got it repaired. I dont know if it was defective but i will not buy an Ibanez with an edge III again. As for the amp look into Orange if you can find them. they have some pretty nice amps. Although mine is a practice amp it is really loud and sounds great.

My old Ibanez had an Edge III and I had no problems with it whatsoever.

Stayed in tune better than the Jackson I had.

And WHERE do you find quality Orange amps for 200 bucks? That's a deal I can't pass up!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
A Vox would be a bad choice, as most of those bands use lots of distortion.

For a guitar, I'd say an Epiphone G-400 would be good.

For the amp, Cube 30X would be good, it has several different settings for different styles.

Good luck
Quote by flamingmarble27
A Vox would be a bad choice, as most of those bands use lots of distortion.

For a guitar, I'd say an Epiphone G-400 would be good.

For the amp, Cube 30X would be good, it has several different settings for different styles.

Good luck

I don't see how it's a bad choice since the Valvetronix has heavy settings too due to the fact it's a modeller like the Cubes.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Don't go for the SG Special
The Ibanez is better, or an Epiphone G-400 if you want an SG.

I paid $150USD for my Line 6 Spider II 75W amp.
Not a bad deal at all.
I hear Vox isn't good for metal
But, then I hear different.
I haven't ever tried one though

Just check out stuff at a local shop
See what best fits you

What about the RG2EX?
That's a pretty good metal guitar.
Thanks guys, and that G-400 looks fantastic is there a model a bit higher quality? not that im saying its bad but i dont want to get it if there is a better one for say.. 100$ more or so... and
but since i hardly know how to play anymore it will be hard to decide which guitar i like better. and as for amps... im totaly lost now... appraently spiter amps arn't as good is i thought.

i just want an amp with various effects to play around with and that sounds good... *sighs* ill just have to go pack to the store and find a good amp...
Last edited by TYL3R3268 at Apr 9, 2008,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
My old Ibanez had an Edge III and I had no problems with it whatsoever.

Stayed in tune better than the Jackson I had.

And WHERE do you find quality Orange amps for 200 bucks? That's a deal I can't pass up!

orange crushes
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Artist
IbanezGXR20
Line 6 Spider ll 75
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Small Stone
Alvarez FF60WR

Labyrinth Within
Quote by ibanez_2892
orange crushes

Notice how I said 'quality'

The Crush amps blow. I'd much rather practice on a Cube or a Valvetronix. Much more bang for the buck.

I thought he had a juicy new Orange valve amp that was under 200 bucks.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I suggest RG2EX1 or RG321MH (god damn stupid EDGE III only usable after impeccable setup but stays in tune well afterwards...). Another choose is to practice on quality stereos or headphones with a multi-efx unit.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
dont get a line 6, I reccomend getting a nice modelling amp such as vox, the spiders sound horrible.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
or a Tiny Terror (orange is awesome!), except i wouldnt get the crush series, cause theres much better solid state amps
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
Quote by jordy-77
or a Tiny Terror (orange is awesome!), except i wouldnt get the crush series, cause theres much better solid state amps

Over buuuuuuuuuuudget.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Instead of making a whole 'nother thread ill just ask this here

ive decided im gona get the Ibanez Rg370 NOT the Rg370DX because they have none and the rg370 is discontinued so i get more money off of it to go towards an amp. It IS used though and i dont kow if that is good or bad. i dont know if the edge pro II is good or not because it may be broken in? im not shure if any one could give me an insight to the pros and cons of the edge pro... and i am a beginner who knows almost next to nothing compared to most of you.

This guitar has 24 frets (jumbo), a rosewood fingerboard, a Wizard II neck, an Edge Pro II tremolo bridge, pickups are H/S/H, I believe they are Powersound pickups, 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob, and a 5-way selector

and if you own/owned one share your oppinions =)
now all is left is the amp... :S
EDGE PRO II is complete CRAP. EDGE III is better than EPII. Powersound pickups are also horrible.

Quote by SQHero
EDGE PRO II is complete CRAP. EDGE III is better than EPII. Powersound pickups are also horrible.

well then... Could you possibly point me in the direction of a good 400$ ish guitar?
Ibanez S320 or RG4EXQM1. With the RG though you might want to spend time setting up your Edge III. After that the tremolo would be great, for a while...

if you wanna listen to some inspirational an innovational guitar check out radiohead's jonny greenwood.
he the best "musician" type guitarist. comes up with some of the most amazing tones for every single song.
Jonny Greenwood has so many effects in his chain that it's not even funny.

i like the s320... but it has no fret markings, that will screw me up... because ill have to count every fret.... man... choosing a guitar is soo hard.... -.-
I call BS. First I thought that I'd be doomed playing JEM or any Sharktooth/fin/whatever but it was really easy after I learned it. Plus, there are dots on the side.

well, "SQhero" do you think that guitar is suited for playing like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYMupc564zE i absolutly love that sound... if i could make that sound some day, i would be VERRY pleased.

and im guessing id have to order it... which would take about 6 weeks probaly....
I say you should get a cube if you play a lot of metal, the Vox i have the valvetronix doesnt have as good of a metal tone as a cube...
MY GEAR!
Fender Starcaster
Epiphone SG Custom Shop LE
Vox AD15VT
Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell

Kirk Hammett = my half filipino metal idol :P
yeah, the little spiders sound bad
And a wise man once said:

"7 Strings are more brutal than 6"
i played one of those Vox modeling amps. they sound better than the cubes, i should know, i own one.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
If you're gonna seriously play, it isn't gonna be cheap for a good set up.

Epiphones are never worth it. Weak pick ups etc. My first guitar is an epiphone explorer, and my Father also has an epiphone. They just cause more problems they will need to be fixed. Both of them had un even frets, the nut was messed up. The truss rod will probably be wrong as well.

Fenders are durable, good quality for the price guitars. Although you want get a humbucker sound, strats are versatile.

I have a Vox AC 15 right now, the cleans are amazing, but you'll need a pedal for distortion. The Natural tube distortion is only one style.
Quote by TYL3R3268
well, "SQhero" do you think that guitar is suited for playing like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYMupc564zE i absolutly love that sound... if i could make that sound some day, i would be VERRY pleased.

and im guessing id have to order it... which would take about 6 weeks probaly....

It's not much of the guitar, it's in the fingers.

Anyway, in that video it sounds like he's using atleast Reverb and distortion.

The best sounds, are usually from pedals. Good ones range around 60-100+

But you can get an amp with 'em.

Don't think "well I play metal it doesn't matter if I get a good clean" Because Clean affects the distortion big time.

A good clean + a good distortin pedal = Good distortion = happy player
You can't go wrong with an Ibanez & I own a Vox amp and its great.