Ok my friend and i started a band. He plays guitar i play sax. But for some reason when he plays , it doesn't sound like ska, like the way the guitar sounds isn't right. What can you do to give it that ska sound?

If you want to hear a recording to see what im talking about go here

www.myspace.com/runmarty

its just me and him on the recording but just listen to the guitar.
Hahaha your in the same boat I was in 3 years ago when I started my ska band. Now we play big shows everywhere so I think I can help you.

Sometimes it's as simple as your equipment. Some guitars are more suited for ska than others...Art-Cores by Ibanez...Les Pauls which are good all around... etc. Amps also. Fender deluxe offers amazing clean tones. If your running a 15 W amp now...your gonna run into problems when you crank it on clean. EQ and tone can also play a part but thats to your liking. When I started ska-punk, I listened to the greats such as Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, Op Ivy etc.

Theres no magic pedal, magic guitar and amp combo or w/e. You should have mid-range equipment though if your looking for a good sound. Good things come with money.
bleh i gotta find out what he has. I know he has a strat which sounds better. The amp is complete ass, which may be the problem.

Maybe we should just go acoustic, lol.
Quote by Zycho
Mute the down stroke and hit on an upstrokes.

He knows how to play. He isnt getting the sound.

It's frustrating I know, but you have to feel around with it. The amp will deff be a problem. Even if its 50W or something, it'll be a lot better than what you have now. You can really fool around with any guitar to give you a good ska sound but, with money comes quality.

EDIT:

P.S. If theres anything a good ska band needs, it's a good bassist. Find one! :P
Last edited by J6strings21fret at Apr 9, 2008,
have him try playing lots of major barre chords on the upstroke and mute the down stroke (like previously mentioned) its should be very mellow and up beat. in terms of EQ i have no clue how to get that ska sound, I'm working on it myself. also i play bass and am very interested (to say the least) to play in a ska band so if you live in the east coast around the maryland area and are looking for a bassist, give me a shot. i hope i helped!
The guitar's too trebly/amp doesn't have the highs, and you need to play a more ska-y rhythm.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
You guys need the rest of the band, get a bassist, get the rest of your horn section get a singer get a drummer and get a second guitarist who only plays acoustic preferably the singer
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
obviously we need more band members. But that wont magically make his guitar sound better. Btw is the strumming and stuff fine? Like does it sound like ska, the rhythms and stuff?
It won't make him sound better, but he won't have to try to cover so much ground. The rhythms strike me as a bit too pop-punkish, should be more muting IMO.
Quote by 9sam1
obviously we need more band members. But that wont magically make his guitar sound better. Btw is the strumming and stuff fine? Like does it sound like ska, the rhythms and stuff?

Get a drummer and then he'll get a beat to go along with. But if no drummer I suggest upstroking on power chords on a slow rhythm with the sax following in the same sort of rhythm.
Last edited by TheCatAndMouse at Apr 12, 2008,