baritones have a larger scale length, which evens out string tension, or something like that, right?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Baritone guitars can be useful when you have to play notes that you can't hit on a guitar. Do a research and see the tunings baritones come in.

EDIT:

Yes, they do.
Last edited by Andrusho at Apr 9, 2008,
26.5-28" scale length more tension for lower tunings
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
Quote by Andrusho
Baritone guitars can be useful when you have to play notes that you can't hit on a guitar. Do a research and see the tunings baritones come in.

B E A D F# B
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Lower pitches with a bigger sound, but without the low tension you would get on a normal guitar because baritones have longer scale length. Tuning is a fourth below a normal six-string, BEADF#b. Allows you to transpose parts down (really helps out if the vocals are really high and your singer can't reach it) without changing fingerings.
a 7 string guitar in standard is also a more common baritione
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
Quote by Lefty7Stringer
26.5-28" scale length more tension for lower tunings

I've seen a few with 29", even a 30". Scales from 27" to 29" are the most common.
ugmung, it increases the space between the frets since it's a longer scale length but the fret wires themselves won't necessarily be bigger.
would it be better to get a baritone or a 7-string?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by ugmung
doesnt it increase the size of the frets?

Well, of course.

Larger scale length = Longer neck

That means, bigger frets

EDIT:

It depends on what are you gonna play, baritones and 7 string guitars are very different..

You can hit high notes on a 7 string, but you can't on a baritone guitar.
Last edited by Andrusho at Apr 9, 2008,
Quote by ugmung

yes longer scale=larger frets

great example, bass guitar, 34" scale (i think) and has considerably larger frets
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

Quote by ugmung

a 7 string is a type of baritone. a more appropriate question would be do i want a 6 or 7 string baritone

6=BEADF#B

7=BEADGBE
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

so which should i get a 6 or 7 string baritone?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
depends, a 6 has all of your standard chords as on a regular 6, just a 4th down, and a thinner neck, it extends your range down a 4th and decreases your upper range a 4th

a 7 is just like a 6 in standard but with an extra low string. your regular chords work fine provided you don't use the extra string, it extends your range down a 4th and doesn't decrease your upper range
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

Quote by ugmung

Whichever feels better to you. I personally don't use those highest notes, so I could get a baritone and lose nothing but gain low notes that I would use. Part of the reason I don't use those high notes is that I don't like the really high notes, but the big reason is that I have big hands, complete with long fingers. My fingers feel cramped with the frets so close together, so it's actually uncomfortable, but with the longer scale I can play the higher frets comfortably. The Schecter 7 strings are 26.5" scale, which is long enough that it's comfortable, but I prefer smaller fret wire. X-Jumbo is just too big for my taste.
On the other hand, the wider neck of a 7 string feels d@mn good in my hands. It's a toss-up, really. I think I'm gonna go for a baritone eventually, probably the Fender Jaguar Baritone HH, but I may get a 7-string as well. Of course, this would be after I get a decent 6-string for standard tuning... I really need a job At least I have my acoustic
Oh, and they're both good for most any style. You can see them in everything from jazz to metal.
Quote by Lefty7Stringer
depends, a 6 has all of your standard chords as on a regular 6, just a 4th down, and a thinner neck, it extends your range down a 4th and decreases your upper range a 4th

a 7 is just like a 6 in standard but with an extra low string. your regular chords work fine provided you don't use the extra string, it extends your range down a 4th and doesn't decrease your upper range

There are books of chords for 7-string. I haven't looked through them, and the one I remember right off hand was a jazz chord book for 7-strings, but you can do chords on the full 7. They'll often be inversions or omit a string I think, but it's completely possible.
i dont think i would use the higher notes...not all the time. there are things i could see myself using them, but not all the time, not to write stuff.

the longer frets could prove useful for solos, but i cant solo.

so what are the pro's and con's of both, in different scenarios?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Last edited by ugmung at Apr 9, 2008,
Quote by Lefty7Stringer
yes longer scale=larger frets

great example, bass guitar, 34" scale (i think) and has considerably larger frets

not true at all. My bass has the same size frets as most of my guitars and a couple even have slightly larger frets than the bass.
Quote by ugmung

if you keep the 22 frets then it will make the fret gap huge but generally people use +27 frets on baritone
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by Kill Rockstar
not true at all. My bass has the same size frets as most of my guitars and a couple even have slightly larger frets than the bass.

baritone not bass there is a huge difference
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by BAoxymoron
baritone not bass there is a huge difference

I'm very aware of that, but he used the example that a bass will have much larger frets than a guitar I was simply saying that in not the case. Same with baritones you can have the same exact size frets on a guitar, baritone and bass.

Just like radius and back contour, it's a matter of preference.
uh, i was thinking about either getting the Agile 6 string baritone or the Agile 7 string baritone the one with the LFR.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo