Which ones do you guys think are better and more practical for home practice and gigging?

I like the bigger sound that my friend's half stack has, and it can definitely compete with a drum set. Unfortunately, I'm not to well versed in the area of combos. I know there are some loud combos out there, but when I'm stuck with a 15w during band practice, I don't seem to be satisfied.

Could you guys help me get better informed about both sides?
Signature
Quote by Aeroblast
Which ones do you guys think are better and more practical for home practice and gigging?

I like the bigger sound that my friend's half stack has, and it can definitely compete with a drum set. Unfortunately, I'm not to well versed in the area of combos. I know there are some loud combos out there, but when I'm stuck with a 15w during band practice, I don't seem to be satisfied.

Could you guys help me get better informed about both sides?

Half Stacks only sound "fuller" if they are 2x12 or 4x12. If you really insist on having that full sound, then look into the realm of 2x12 combos. What are your styles? Whats your budget?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
unless you're touring, or playing anything regularly, don't consider a half stack, or any kind of stack. a combo will suit you just fine. if you want more sound, just mic the amp, and play through a house system at a venue.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
home practice-combo, band practice-large combo (100W or more) or half stack, gig-half stack.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
Quote by opticon
home practice-combo, band practice-large combo (100W or more) or half stack, gig-half stack.

Wait... are you saying you need more than 100Ws for a band practice situation?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by opticon

50W is fine for band practices, and Orange makes some f*cking loud 30W ones, too
EDIT: and you don't necessarily need a half stack for gigs either. With a good enough p.a. system you could use one of those little 5-watt Marshall micro amps.
buy once you start getting into larger venues in front of a lot of people, then yes, a hald stack is likely necessary
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Last edited by cerveza at Apr 9, 2008,
your going to at least need 150 watts of solid state amp to practice with a drum kit and half that power in tube.

If you are only playing to practice with a band Crate makes a great amp for the money, with nice tones tube or solid state. A half stack will set you back anywhere from $800 to thousands and youll never use the volume past 2 in the house. I guess it all depends on what your using it for.
2x12 combos are great, i actually ended up getting a half stack but its low wattage stack. some great amps for 2x12's are fender twins and marshall bluesbreakers
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
my 60 watt deville drowns out any drummer i play with by the way

i have to turn it down so they can be heard
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
i'd say get a combo.
With my 5150 combo i could easily play with drums at around 3 or 4.
when people are home, i can turn it past 1.
plus you can hook up a 2x12 cab to it iff you want
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
yeah its surprising how loud a tube amp can be....at the bar i work at there is this regular costumer that has jammed with buddy guy and les paul...and whenever we have open jams at the bar all he gigs with is a vertical 2x12 and an orange tiny terror
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by mike.h
Half Stacks only sound "fuller" if they are 2x12 or 4x12. If you really insist on having that full sound, then look into the realm of 2x12 combos. What are your styles? Whats your budget?

why are you still alive dammit? you were sposta be dead and we'd all have a story to tell. dang you mike.h!
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
Quote by Bigl89
your going to at least need 150 watts of solid state amp to practice with a drum kit and half that power in tube.

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

So you're saying you have to turn a 150 watt ss amp all the way up to be heard over a drummer? yeah right....even 30 watts is plenty for practice.
Quote by steel337
wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

So you're saying you have to turn a 150 watt ss amp all the way up to be heard over a drummer? yeah right....even 30 watts is plenty for practice.

+1 this guy wants to destroy the drummer or anyone else that gets in his way.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Get whatever you want and think sounds good.

They both have ups and downs. Halfstacks allow you to buy different heads but keep the same speakers, allowing more versatility. Combos are easier to move around.

Some amps only come in head form.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
To everyone who says you dont need a halfstack to gig.

Duh this is true, however alot of people judge you and your band based on equipment. There's a reason like Laiho doesn't play a hello kitty squier and use a mesa combo.
So when you gig i'd say you need a stack.

Volumewise, 30-50watt tube is sufficient. I have 120W and its pretty useless at home. Also its an absolute **** to log around a head AND a 412 so in terms of practically a combos good for practice.
Quote by henza_x
To everyone who says you dont need a halfstack to gig.

Duh this is true, however alot of people judge you and your band based on equipment. There's a reason like Laiho doesn't play a hello kitty squier and use a mesa combo.
So when you gig i'd say you need a stack.

Volumewise, 30-50watt tube is sufficient. I have 120W and its pretty useless at home. Also its an absolute **** to log around a head AND a 412 so in terms of practically a combos good for practice.

Only wankers judge a band on their rig, and who gives a toss what wankers think? Most normal people tend to judge a band on the sound they produce, more commonly referred to as "music".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Only wankers judge a band on their rig, and who gives a toss what wankers think? Most normal people tend to judge a band on the sound they produce, more commonly referred to as "music".

Sadly, this isn't true in the case of record labels; as a lot of them will look into a bands looks more than music.