hello, i'd say my range is no more than 700$ (MABYE 750). im in a band that plays progressive rock, a little like saosin. but i also like to get a good avenged sevenfold tone, and occasionally something like paramore or from first to last. whats a solid stack i can get that is in my range, durable, and has qaulity options for me. i need at least 100 watts. i was considering line 6 spider 3 150 watt stack, i heard it was good but im not sure. also are the cheaper marshals any good? if you know of any other amps i would appreciate it, thankyou.
Oh god no. No Marshall MGs. No Line6 Spiders. No Crate Flexwaves. You should be looking at something like a Peavey Windsor.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Randall G3
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
for 700, you could get something so much better than a spider...
you probably don't even need 100 tube watts though, unless you're playing large venues.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Randall RG50TC
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
bahh! coming from the guy who has a Digitech Bad Monkey...lets talk about wasting money..

any stack that is 800 is cheap as hell and horrible. I agree the flexwave is not my cup of tea either, but i own a 120 watt Crate VTX series and its been great. Guitar World gave it great reviews and you can easily play with a full band. Plus now it will only run you $450.

Save the line 6's for practice amp. They are digital junk.
$300 dollars more and you can get an ENGL Thunder... But I'd go with Randall RG50.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
(saosin is not progressive. its emo. don't beat around the bush. same with paramore.)

i like: peavey, randall, marshall. models? eff if i know. just avoid the marshall mg series.
You might be able to get a _half_-stack for that, but not a stack thats worth getting (1/2 stack is head and 1 cab, stack is head and 2 cabs)
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Quote by Bigl89
any stack that is 800 is cheap as hell and horrible.

+1
a good cab for me costs more than that
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
i've been monitoring Peavey Classic 50 2x12 combos on ebay and I'm shocked at just HOW cheap they're going for. That with some kind of EQ pedal and maybe a pickup swap (Gibson pickups=balls) and you have something very sufficient for what you're looking for imo... monitor your local craigslist as well... Today in mine I'm staring at a Peavey XXX 2x12 Combo for $450... Keep your eyes open, avoid solid state at all cost.

If you lurked around a bit anyone here will tell you 100W is really ludacris, if you had 30-50W tube you'd be blasting hair off the front row.
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Silverburst)
Marshall JCM 900 4100 Dual Reverb
  • (2) Vintage 30's
  • (2) G12H30's
  • X Pattern
Ya on my SS amp once you get past 5 on the master volume (if that) it sounds horrible. Once you get to 5 on my tube its just starting to come alive lol. I was worried going from a 100W SS to my 30W tube because of sound differences but, i can tell you the 30W tubes blows my 100W SS out of the water hands down on tone and volume
Epiphone LP Standard
MartinDCX1E
Peavey Classic 30
Marshall Mg100DFX
Quote by rseiberos2002
I was worried going from a 100W SS to my 30W tube because of sound differences but, i can tell you the 30W tubes blows my 100W SS out of the water hands down on tone and volume

testimonials such as this are everywhere supplementing the thousands of daily posts on this forum urging the MG series to be brought to the ground
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Silverburst)
Marshall JCM 900 4100 Dual Reverb
  • (2) Vintage 30's
  • (2) G12H30's
  • X Pattern
Dude, you can get a used Mesa F-50 combo for like 600 dollars. Your out of your mind for even thinking of a Line 6 Spider HS.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by Bigl89
bahh! coming from the guy who has a Digitech Bad Monkey...lets talk about wasting money..

any stack that is 800 is cheap as hell and horrible. I agree the flexwave is not my cup of tea either, but i own a 120 watt Crate VTX series and its been great. Guitar World gave it great reviews and you can easily play with a full band. Plus now it will only run you $450.

ROFL... and you own a 120 Watt Solid state amp. Fucking irony anyone?

Why the hell are you on UG acting like you know what you're talking about. You're amp is not much better than a Spider incase you didnt know. You spent $450 bucks on a shitty amp, and you think my purchase of a reputable analog overdrive is a bad one? GTFO please. Go back to musiciansfriend reviews or wherever you lurk. You're not welcome here. Youre complete ignorance and utter stupidity just baffles me.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by Bigl89

Digitech Bad Monkey is not a waste of money. I'm sure many people on here would back me up on that one.

Hell, how is anything that cheap a waste of money?
*points to sig*

its yours shipped and all for $675, unless its all the way in washington/cali/ny. then $700 beceause shipping is really high

Quote by lemonsquares42
Digitech Bad Monkey is not a waste of money. I'm sure many people on here would back me up on that one.

+1 ill agree with him. the BM is on par with some TS-9s and the like. great OD pedal for cheap.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by mike.h
ROFL... and you own a 120 Watt Solid state amp. Fucking irony anyone?

Why the hell are you on UG acting like you know what you're talking about. You're amp is not much better than a Spider incase you didnt know. You spent $450 bucks on a shitty amp, and you think my purchase of a reputable analog overdrive is a bad one? GTFO please. Go back to musiciansfriend reviews or wherever you lurk. You're not welcome here. Youre complete ignorance and utter stupidity just baffles me.

+1

My bad monkey beat out my Stock and modified Tube Screamer. So it is far from a bad purchase.

And +1 on the SS comment... How retarded can you be to have enough cash for a tube amp and you go out and buy a SS... Thats the equivalent of being able to feed a starving child in africa for 450 days... How can you live with yourself .
http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-LS100-and-LS412A-Half-Stack-482088-i1385190.gc

it is a b-52
which is really good for anytone or style 100 watts solid state
is really good for a beginer to intermedite stack

i use a mesa boogie markIII full stack
and a ibanez rg 220

and i love the sound i went from the b-52 to this and it wasnt a big jump
i still play with the b-52 at band practice and use this at my house and for big shows
are you insane^
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Quote by FLCLcowdude
Dude, you can get a used Mesa F-50 combo for like 600 dollars. Your out of your mind for even thinking of a Line 6 Spider HS.

+1

Look for a used F-50 and an OD pedal.
Mike H..buy a Gibson you cheap ****. I love that you tell me where to go yet if anyone took the time and went to your profile and heard you play they would **** themselves for taking any advice from you.

Save your money and buy a metronome.
Quote by Bigl89
Mike H..buy a Gibson you cheap ****. I love that you tell me where to go yet if anyone took the time and went to your profile and heard you play they would **** themselves for taking any advice from you.

Lol.

Mike H is actually a decent player. He's better than me :P.
He's giving advice on gear, and last time I checked, you don't have to be a great player to know what good gear is.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Bigl89

You really show how big of a ****ing idiot you are.

First, you tell me that I waste my money by spending $50 dollars on one of the best overdrive pedals. And then you go on to say that you spent $450 DOLLARS on a 120 WATT SOLID STATE AMP. Pretty ironic if you ask me. You say that people would shit themselves for taking advice from me, when you go and recommended what is arguably one of the worst amps you could possibly buy for $450. Again. Quite ****ing ironic.

Then you change the topic to me not having a Gibson guitar.. and saying I'm a cheap shit, what the hell does that have to do with anything? Its well known that the good G-400s with a pickup swap are very close to Gibsons.. oh wait, you have a knack for not knowing things that are supposedly well-known...

You also talk about my guitar playing. I know I'm not an amazing player. I'm not that bad either. That demo was something I learned by ear 20 minutes before I played it, and when I played I wasnt listening to the song. Why dont you post something if you're such a great guitarist? It was just a demo of the ****ing amp. Get your panties out of their bunch, douche.

Come back with some 12 year old, generic comeback, that doesnt relate to what we're talking about at all. Go ahead.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h
You really show how big of a ****ing idiot you are.

First, you tell me that I waste my money by spending $50 dollars on one of the best overdrive pedals. And then you go on to say that you spent $450 DOLLARS on a 120 WATT SOLID STATE AMP. Pretty ironic if you ask me. You say that people would shit themselves for taking advice from me, when you go and recommended what is arguably one of the worst amps you could possibly buy for $450. Again. Quite ****ing ironic.

Then you change the topic to me not having a Gibson guitar.. and saying I'm a cheap shit, what the hell does that have to do with anything? Its well known that the good G-400s with a pickup swap are very close to Gibsons.. oh wait, you have a knack for not knowing things that are supposedly well-known...

You also talk about my guitar playing. I know I'm not an amazing player. I'm not that bad either. That demo was something I learned by ear 20 minutes before I played it, and when I played I wasnt listening to the song. Why dont you post something if you're such a great guitarist? It was just a demo of the ****ing amp. Get your panties out of their bunch, douche.

Come back with some 12 year old, generic comeback, that doesnt relate to what we're talking about at all. Go ahead.

\Clicky!

Yes, valvekings are good amps. And easily upgradeable once you think your tone needs an improvement.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Lol.

Mike H is actually a decent player. He's better than me :P.
He's giving advice on gear, and last time I checked, you don't have to be a great player to know what good gear is.

+1

Hartley Peavey started out playing guitar and always knew he wouldn't be one of the greatest guitar artist's but he was well versed in gear. So he created his own company and his product was used by many of the greatest artists around.
Quote by lemonsquares42

i'll back you up. i payed like 30-40 bucks for mine. it does everything i expected it to do for 40 bucks. it's solid construction too. i'm usually a boss fan, but the bad monkey gives me that scratchy tone. not extreme crunch or anything, nothing too overdriven, but just a little bit.

it's called tube overdrive for a reason..

when you think of a tube amp do you think of heavy metal distortion? or do you think of a crunch sound? think about it.
Quote by jordanvota
http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-LS100-and-LS412A-Half-Stack-482088-i1385190.gc

it is a b-52
which is really good for anytone or style 100 watts solid state
is really good for a beginer to intermedite stack

i use a mesa boogie markIII full stack
and a ibanez rg 220

and i love the sound i went from the b-52 to this and it wasnt a big jump
i still play with the b-52 at band practice and use this at my house and for big shows

That doesn't look good to me
Quote by Bigl89

Bigl89, gtfo. nobody likes you here. I suppose i'm also a cheapass just because i can't ****ing afford a gibson either? Well, i'll tell you what, I live in a crap city where there are no decent jobs available, and all the crap jobs go to illegal immigrants so cheapass employers can pay them below minimum wage and get away with it. American made guitars cost a ****ing insane amount of cash over here. the cheapest i've seen are the Highway One series by Fender. They cost around £450-£550. that would be around $1000 US. Gibsons on the other hand, well the cheapest Gibson costs about £600. need i say, a Les Paul standard costs about £1.6k. How the **** are some people supposed to be able to afford that? But that doesn't mean i don't know what a good tone is. I'm under the impression that you're just a spoilt brat who insisted that your daddy bought you the amp with the highest wattage.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
spider valve
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
listen man, i dont even consider emo a word. i mean saosin is NOT an emo band. i dont even know what the hell that is. they are definitly progressive rock. and paramore is just pop punk. im getting sick of that word, 9 years ago blink-182 was punk, but if they wre around today they would be considered emo. people just make up words cus they get bored, theres no bush to beat around
When I got involved with this thread I had no idea it would shift so badly from personal experiences turned advice to a gear pissing contest.

The common thread that we share on UG that draws most of us here daily (or more often) is the love of guitar and music in general. UG is the quintessential spot for the guitar enthusiast - at least it is for me.

I have been active in the forums for over a year and a half. When I started I had a Squier Affinity Tele and Microcube. Nearly 2 years later, my current setup can be found in my sig. It is a big upgrade, but certainly pale in comparison to most. But I love it, partly because I busted my butt hour after hour to get it, and also because I have tailored it to fit my style. I realize that it probably wouldn't be the ideal setup for most memebers of UG, but it works for me nonetheless.

Learning and playing guitar is hard and often frustrating. I can personally fess up to "gear fever", that is, when you reach a dull level in your progress you often look to new gear to spice things up, like pedals and even new amps and guitars. I have spent so much on gear it is comical. And the really funny part is that my progress has suffered. Had I aimed my frustration in my learning's progress at what it was, I probably would not have gotten so many pieces of gear that didn't help me, in fact, they just complicated things and made learning progress even harder.

I see where my rambling is taking me, and I am going to end it here. But the point that I think I am trying to make is that even the best gear is no substitute for the players skill and technique. At least I know this is the fact in my case.

We are a group bonded by a common passion, regardless of gear. Just like when I had a crotch-rocket motorcycle, when I passed a Harley we waved. Not because we may have like each other's bikes, but because we share a passion.

So, I know I will continue to acquire much gear, as will most of you. But don't let the size of your pile of gear establish a pecking order. A guitar player is a fellow regardless.

Rock on,

Greg
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Quote by Bigl89

You're done now. In the past few years, I've spent as much time building, repairing, and customizing as I have playing. Is being well read in gear matters and handy with repairs, at the detriment of a small ammout of practice time, so very bad? But I'm sure you have a guy who provides repairs and oral sex for you, so I guess it dosn't matter to you.
for $600 you can get a Traynor YCV50 Blue on ebay. Preety sure it's new!