Alright so here's the story. I'm pretty new to this whole guitar thing. Been playing and taking lessons for a little over 2 months. I bought a Epi LP Special 2 beginner pack, which was stupid I know. I have wanted to upgrade for a few weeks and I think I'm going to pull the trigger this weekend. The guitars I've been eyeing are the Epi LP Studio, or the Fender Strat (i think it's the mexican one - $399ish). I like the feel and sound of the LP, but I've screwed around on some Strats too that sound awesome. I also like the idea of the tremolo on the strat. I'm pretty new to guitars, so I dont know, maybe I could add one to my current set up...but the way I look at it is this. I have a very very basic guitar now. I don't really want to throw a whole lot into this one with pickups etc when I"m just going to get rid of it soon.

So, I am thinking of selling my current LP Special 2 (I'll be lucky to get $100) and maybe my Boss BluesDriver 2 pedal and putting up the rest of the money to buy one of these guitars. I know I have to go in and play these babies, but I want some feedback from you guys and gals, more experienced players that aren't trying to sell me anything. I'm playing through a small Marshall MG15CD, which I know also needs to be upgraded lol, but I think the guitar is first. I "play" mostly blues, classic rock, rock etc...so fire back some replies and thanks in advance for all your help.
Id say check the Epiphone LP Standard, i wouldnt waste my time or money on any thing less. if you like the Strat thar would be ok also. If you like the feel of the what you got id say you'd love the Standard.
Epiphone LP Standard
MartinDCX1E
Peavey Classic 30
Marshall Mg100DFX
Just get a new amp. It is a very good majority of your tone.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by rseiberos2002
Id say check the Epiphone LP Standard, i wouldnt waste my time or money on any thing less. if you like the Strat thar would be ok also. If you like the feel of the what you got id say you'd love the Standard.

I found a guy selling a used Epi LP Standard Flametop with hard case for $250, in great condition. I think I'm going to hop on that. He has a Fender Mexi Strat for $250 too. I might offer $400 for the both. But if I had to choose, I guess I'd go with the Epi...so hard to choose!
When you say upgrade, what are you looking to upgrade more? your tone or your playability? If you are more concerned about your over all sound and tone, upgrade your amp, if you are more concerned about playability and feel, the physical playing, upgrade the guitar.

If the guitar is the answer, for around $400, I would agree with your choice of the MIM strat or Epi LP standard, but keep in mind those guitar brands are very mainstream, which isn't a bad thing, but its never a bad thing researching new guitar brands that are just as good, different, or even better.
Right now I'm looking for playability. That's why I'm upgrading the guitar first. I know I have to upgrade the amp next. That will come within the next month or 2. I just want a guitar that I'm happy with and want to play. I play mine enough now (about 2 hours a day), but I have really wanted a Strat or nicer LP since day 1. This is not going to be my last guitar by any means, and I plan to buy one of each of these as well as other brands and makes. I like the feel of the LPs and haven't had a real chance to sit with a Strat for over like 5 minutes. I'm buying one or the other tomorrow night so I want to make up my mind. I found a craigslist listing from a guy local selling a LP Standard and a Mexi Strat for $250 each...I just dont know about buying used from someone I dont know...