I discovered recently I can't HEAR the fire alarm in my block of flats. Now this alarm has been set off quite a few times by accident recently and I'm now scared incase something REALLY does happen and I end up hurt or worse because I can't hear the bell and can't escape in time.

Anyone know what I should do?
Replace the batteries? Get a new one? Purchase some sort of hearing aid? Purchase some sort of visual alarm that sets off along with the regular firealarm sound? Buy a monkey that can alarm you of fires? Start fires yourself? Train the monkey to start the fires then tell you about them so you can escape in time? Train the monkey to take the fall for any eventual murder trial? Buy the monkey's parents some condo in florida?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Lay a mattress on the floor outside the window permentantly, as soon as you smell burning leap onto it.

That way you are always prepared.

Don't burn your toast.
Quote by Kensai
Replace the batteries? Get a new one? Purchase some sort of hearing aid? Purchase some sort of visual alarm that sets off along with the regular firealarm sound?

The alarm is a mains one which runs through the entire building and is controlled by a keypad downstairs.

And visual alarms don't work when I'm asleep do they?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
The alarm is a mains one which runs through the entire building and is controlled by a keypad downstairs.

And visual alarms don't work when I'm asleep do they?

Well they help when you're awake, DON'T THEY?

Connect your right index finger to some sort of electrical device that goes off with the fire alarm. Oh and you might have to stop taking showers because of the electricity.
Quote by Kensai
Well they help when you're awake, DON'T THEY?

Connect your right index finger to some sort of electrical device that goes off with the fire alarm. Oh and you might have to stop taking showers because of the electricity.

Yeah, and in the Uk at least most fires start during the night....
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Yeah, and in the Uk at least most fires start during the night....

Well how am I supposed to know that? I'm not the... british fire inspector.
Quote by Kensai
Replace the batteries? Get a new one? Purchase some sort of hearing aid? Purchase some sort of visual alarm that sets off along with the regular firealarm sound? Buy a monkey that can alarm you of fires? Start fires yourself? Train the monkey to start the fires then tell you about them so you can escape in time? Train the monkey to take the fall for any eventual murder trial? Buy the monkey's parents some condo in florida?

that ended well, i liked it
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Quote by cerveza
that ended well, i liked it

I like happy endings.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
True....

He's so dreamy...
Flat=Apartment in the U.S., soooo, I'd say your landlord is responsible for maintaining your Fire Alarm system, correct? Ask the man you pay rent to. Good luck. A lot of landlords here are tightasses that don't want to spend money to maintain their properties, I hope yours is more responsible.
Quote by n2dabloo
Flat=Apartment in the U.S., soooo, I'd say your landlord is responsible for maintaining your Fire Alarm system, correct? Ask the man you pay rent to. Good luck. A lot of landlords here are tightasses that don't want to spend money to maintain their properties, I hope yours is more responsible.

Strictly speaking, wouldn't this be an issue for the fire brigade?
I live in a college dorm and the last 3 times the fire alarm has gone off (it's just been a drill or something) when I'm asleep, I haven't heard it and my roommate has had to wake me up to get me out of the room.
Fire alarms serve no real use to me. If I was awake, I'd notice the fire, and if I'm asleep I'll never hear it. (I'm a deep sleeper)
I don't need a sig....
Quote by n2dabloo

Yes, it's vital maintenance that your landlord has a legal duty to perform. You should talk to him/her. If your landlord doesn't act promptly to fix it, then they are breaking the law. If your landlord kicks up a fuss, just remind them that if anything happens to you due to the malfunctioning alarm, their insurance won't cover it and they will be held personally liable.
Quote by sunshowers
Yes, it's vital maintenance that your landlord has a legal duty to perform. You should talk to him/her. If your landlord doesn't act promptly to fix it, then they are breaking the law. If your landlord kicks up a fuss, just remind them that if anything happens to you due to the malfunctioning alarm, their insurance won't cover it and they will be held personally liable.

I've never even met my landlord......so how am I supposed to go and talk with this guy?
you should just connect a big bright flashy light above your bed to the fire alarm...and add a speaker to screech loud enough so you could hear it if it goes off....

or you could get the monkey
Quote by redwood13
you should just connect a big bright flashy light above your bed to the fire alarm...and add a speaker to screech loud enough so you could hear it if it goes off....

or you could get the monkey

Hmmm...............maybe a siren would do the trick..
Quote by saxaxe
Step 1: batteries
if that doesnt work
Step 2: Landlord.

problem solved

If you read the OP, you'll find the alarm is MAINS powered.