Hey whats up guys! I've posted here before and you guys have been a lot of help. So I'm getting my Mackie satellite any day now in the mail and I wanna order a nice set of headphones cause right now mine are pure ****e. I'm willing to spend $100-$200. Any recommendations? Also I plan to be wearing these while singing sort of close to my mic, so is it necessary to get closed headphones? Or will semi-open/semi-closed be ok? I'm new to recording if you cant tell haha
Closed would work well with vocals. If you don't listen at high levels though, you could get semi-opens.

There are many good choices...Audio Technica's ATH M40 and D40 are very cushy and accurate. Also, many people swear by AKGs or Ultrasones...the AKG 240S and its Mkii variant are good semi-opens, while the 271s are the closed varieties. The AKGs and Pro versions of Ultrasones even have replaceable/detachable cords ($30 for the AKG, any 3.5mm cable for the Ultrasone)...handy if things get damaged often. Finally, you may want to look at Kosses, since their lifetime replacement means, for $6 you can replace any of their headphones, no matter its condition. Headphone.com has a series of good reviews...check that site out.
Sennheiser HD280's are a nice set, which you can pick up for $100. Good sound, plus you have the advantage of being able to replace any part should it get broken, saving you having to buy another set.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
Sennheiser HD280's are a nice set, which you can pick up for $100. Good sound, plus you have the advantage of being able to replace any part should it get broken, saving you having to buy another set.

+1

Excellent set of cans.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Don't mix with phones. Save your money a bit more and get a pair of proper monitors.

I have a pair of AKG 240's that I bought with hopes of mixing on (but don't), but when tracking, I've got a couple of pairs of loud-as-bombs closed headphones that I picked up for $20. You're tracking. Isolation and volume are more critical than evaluative sound quality.

http://www.itrstudio.com/moreme.html

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Apr 10, 2008,
Quote by knivessout
Hey whats up guys! I've posted here before and you guys have been a lot of help. So I'm getting my Mackie satellite any day now in the mail and I wanna order a nice set of headphones cause right now mine are pure ****e. I'm willing to spend $100-$200. Any recommendations? Also I plan to be wearing these while singing sort of close to my mic, so is it necessary to get closed headphones? Or will semi-open/semi-closed be ok? I'm new to recording if you cant tell haha

MF has some KRK monitors for real cheap right now, the RP5s can be had for $100 each at this time. I suggest getting those as they sound fair even for small monitors.

I also suggest closed headphones if you are singing and monitoring at the same time, they will keep any noise out of the new track which is a problem I have with my current phones...(Grado labs SR80)
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 11, 2008,
Audio Technica's ATH M40

I have a pair of M40's and accurate isn't the best word I'd use to describe them. They're good for listening and tracking, but I certaintly wouldn't mix on them any too often.
Yeah, I have one too. I'm suggesting he use it to record vocals, and I do like the fact that each instrument is neatly separated with a M40. If he wants to mix, open headphones may be better at recreating the proper sound (Grado SR-60's are very popular).
Hey thanks for the input everyone! I may end up getting monitors (actual speakers) eventually, but right now it's not within my budget.. Also I live in an area where I can't be extremely loud.. at least at my house. So some good phones would be great. I'm not sure if I should get open ones (which are better for mixing and all) or get closed cause I plan to sing with them on.. I'm not too picky tho, and my music is just a hobby and not seriously pro or anything right now. Is there a big difference in the sound of open or closed phones? Cause if not I may go with closed to make sure I dont pick up noise in the mic. Then again I could just turn down the volume on open ones.. hmmmmmmm
If you use a dynamic mic just keep the monitor source low when recording at the mic.
Grado Labs SR80s are what I use and they sound great. I still have yet to get monitors myself so I'm always mixing on them but I've gotten used to it so I've produced some great mixes.

For $100 they are a great buy, my only complaint is they need more padding on the head band.

I think open design sounds a little better, nice bass response and such but I'm sure if you get a good pair of closed phones like the Sennheiser HD280s or Sony MDR-7509HD they would sound good.

I dont know if GC has headphones to test but if they do, go try a few out and see which you like best.