I was just wondering if there is a trade off for adding a J-pup in the bridge position. I read somewhere that it takes away from the tone, even if its rolled off. wasnt really a good source however

Your thoughts?
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
The only thing i could think of was pajamas, but that's not very relevant at all now is it.
Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the f***ing car.
I love pulp...
Someone told me there's a girl out there
With love in her eyes and flowers in her hair...

I will find this girl.

I've never heard that before, and frankly, I can't imagine a solo'd P-pickup on a PJ bass sounds descernably different than a same-spec'd bass with just a P-pickup. Frankly, I don't believe the extra routing for the pickup itself would change your tone to the point of it being unacceptable, especially considering the tonal flexibility you're awarded.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I own an active P/J bass and the P solo'd is exactly the same as a normal P, no question.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
i love P/J configured basses, mainly for the J pickup. i like to just use that one pick up for a neat sort of warbly sound.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
On a similar note, I have a friend who can tell what types of batteries are in effects pedals by how the batteries color the tone. Is the guy for real or just good at guessing?

EDIT: My thoughts on the actual topic: there's probably little difference. That guy I mentioned above could probably tell the difference, but not the normal music lover listening to your music.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Apparently the contents of 9V batteries are totally different, and I've seen Roland batteries made especially for instruments. I forget what the contents are, though.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
there would be less wood, due to the necessary routering... but one of those bass sustainer things would make up for it. you know, screw on to the headstock
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Personally, I can't see the wood routed out for a J p'up making that much of a difference in sustain. Then again, I can't tell the difference in between batteries in effects pedals.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I think it's rather bull, telling the batteries in effects pedals. If you have it plugged into your wall, can he tell which electric company you use?

I don't see the wood routing to fit the J pup would have a huge effect on sustain. Doubtless it will- less mass leads to less sustain- but I don't think it'll be anything to fret about.

And yes, those basses just sound awesome. Classic P punch with some J cutting with the bridge pup. Heck yes.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Last edited by Pink Muse at Apr 10, 2008,
I had to cut a slot for the J pup to go into my BCR; and as the body's about 2" thick, and tho I took about 1/2" out, it made no discenible difference. Maybe if you'd got something with a Kate Moss/balsa body, it might be an issue...

FWIW, I prefer cheapo Panasonic batteries in my wah pedal. It sounds 'mellower' with them. Tesco Value ones will do at a pinch! You'd have to have a truly encyclopaedic knowledge of pedals to be able to just name the battery brand straight off tho. Surely?
Quote by Pink Muse
I think it's rather bull, telling the batteries in effects pedals. If you have it plugged into your wall, can he tell which electric company you use?

Oh, but sure, the different chemical structure of the batteries can definitely colour the tone of analogue effects. You can probably tell the difference between adaptors, but it just so happens that adaptors like that do not vary in structure as much as the batteries do.

For digital effects, there's no difference. It's either on or off. Or, a combination of on and off very quickly. That's why digital kicks ass. However, when using a lesser-powered adaptor on a digital effect, you can have a weaker output - my micro POG requires a 9.6V adaptor, and using a straight 9V results in an octaver that can get "confused easier" and sounds much more wobbly than with the proper adaptor.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
chemical structure would have nothing to do with it, its the output which matters

EDIT: instead of starting a new thread, ill ask it here. Is the bass tone in this song the P-bass tone? [or one of them?]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10C68Gzd5GM

yeah, its the same song from the other thread

PLUG: you guys should check out their other stuff
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Last edited by InvaderRen at Apr 10, 2008,
Yeah, that's a P-Bass tone, but it's quite dark. it's a P-Bass with some EQing done to the treble.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
mucho thanks

Ive been falling in love with PBasses lately
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Actually, upon listening to it more, I think he's playing the Precision he recorded with. A P-Bass isn't THAT laboured.

Keep in mind, though, that if that bass wasn't at the front of the mix, you'd barely hear it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
With my semi-limited experience with PJ basses, the combination of the P and J pickups give a very solid "modern" tone that has some grunt to it as well as some clarity.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
i used to have an old 5 string samick that had an active P/J configuration.. like i mentioned before i always just used the Jazz pickup while playing with an EQ pedal. it was far from a practical tone but i loved it anyway.

i have an ibanez SR505 which has 2 active soapbar bartolinis in it.. its just not the same..

if i could find a good bass with a P/j setup i'd straight up trade for it anyday.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by thefitz
With my semi-limited experience with PJ basses, the combination of the P and J pickups give a very solid "modern" tone that has some grunt to it as well as some clarity.

That's a good approximation. I often watch bassists on tv shows like Later with Jools Holland, and the guys are standing posing with $5000 2xHB customs making nice noises, and can't help thinking that a good PJ would be just a bit more...rock'n'roll!?!

It's like the Chuck Norris of bass.
question about the wiring

are both the P and J single coils or are they both split? I dont see how If the P was split and the J was single would work, b/c theres nothing to cancel the hum. [not sure if i have my physics right, feel free to blast]
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
On mine, there's a pup selector switch. Just one, the other, or both. There's also a series/parallel switch for the P, because it's a humbucker, as all P-types are.
Some modes are a little noisier, but as mine has Lace Sensors, I have to be standing near a TV to notice much.