Hi i was wondering if there is Anyway to Make an Amps less loud. I dont want an attenuator as they are expensive but i wanted to get an Peavey classic 30 (30 watts) because it has all the features i want, but its too loud for me to really be able to get natural overdrive. I was wondering if there is any way to make it quieter without an attenuator. Thanks for the help
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
Higher ohm load if its selectable. Go up to a 8 or 16 ohm speaker. Also a EQ pedal in the effects loop might work my MXR 108 has a volume slider that i use from time to time if i have a ton of level and gain going into the front of the amp.
Loud was my problem too. i got a Valve Jr and am very happy with it. I use a POD XTL with it and the modeling takes to it very well and the volume is perfect for my needs. If you don't want to go the modeling route, there are alot of mods that can be done to the Vj. You may want to see if can be voiced in the classic 30 style.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Higher ohm load if its selectable. Go up to a 8 or 16 ohm speaker. Also a EQ pedal in the effects loop might work my MXR 108 has a volume slider that i use from time to time if i have a ton of level and gain going into the front of the amp.

So that goes after the pre amp and affects the overall volume not the amount of gain? Are there any other EQ's that arent as expensive but include the volume slider? 110's a little too much if i only want to change the volume. Also, how much can that change the volume? Can it make it go all the way to zero and back up?
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
Quote by dzaerpoor
So that goes after the pre amp and affects the overall volume not the amount of gain? Are there any other EQ's that arent as expensive but include the volume slider? 110's a little too much if i only want to change the volume. Also, how much can that change the volume? Can it make it go all the way to zero and back up?

Dont know which other ones.. Hit up the GC, American Musical, MusciansFriend, or other website and have a look. And yes i can take the volume to complete zero it basically takes the volume from the preamp stage and adjusts it before it goes to the power stage. When im running my gain stuff full out at night i didnt have much play in the volume area i had to try and adjust it 0-1 on the volume knob on the amp which sucks because the amp is silent till .5 then gets loud as well so i was working with .5-1 lol so with the EQ i was able to put the amp at like 2 and have the slider there for finer adjustments. But mind you i didnt have the amp cranked to like 5 or 8 so i wouldnt know what type of effect that would be . Just know it works well for low volume work if you need to fine tune your volume. The same might be able to be done with a volume pedal or something..
like by keeping the pedal in one position while you play. If you still have that amp and eq and fell like doing me afavor, do you think you could see if it works with louder volumees too? If not whatever. I wouldn't have much use for a volume pedal so the eq would serve me much more purpose.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
^ attenuators have to be hooked up to the amp wierd right? or does it just go in the effects loop? also why not the 25 watt one? Will that only cut 25 watts?
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
I believe they make tubes that are designed to give more "Cranked" tone at lower volumes, must be lower powered or something.

A guy I talked to said he took a couple tubes out of his '70s plexi and ran the rest "hotrodded," I don't know it that's actually possible but w/e.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
turn the knob that says "VOLUME" down. lol. just kidding around. you can always try an eq
Here's the thing: that amp has a master volume, so anything you put in front of the amp or in the effects loop to lower the volume is going to have a worse or at best the same effect as turning the master volume down. Your only options would be a less efficient speaker (greenback is good), mismatching impedance, hotter tubes and/or bias, or an attenuator (by far the best option for you).
Attenuators go between the amp and the speaker. You would need a 50w or 100w one, you can't go any lower because your amp would blow it up. I'd get a Weber.
There's a million methods, but when it comes down to them sound enough better to warrant the expense, when a decent overdrive pedal can achieve very saimilar effects. Pedals like the venerable Tubescreamer, and more recently the Fulltone OCD, were designed to get around this problem.
Get the most dynamic, transparent overdrive you can buy - setup right it'll sound just as good as an attenuator. Or else get yourself a smaller amp. 15W is fine for gigging provided you don't want crystal-clean tones at bigger gigs.
well see the classic 30 has all the things i want. i have a practice amp and if im getting another I want it to be a great and really long lasting one. This one has some great sounds and it has an effects loop + more than one channel. Things very few 15 watt amps have. I actually have never seen a 15 watt amp with those features.

I was thinking of getting an eq to lower the volume of the amp and i was wondering how much would a 16 decibel cut be? If its a 30 watt amp now, how many would the 16 db cut sound like? I just want to know what it would sound like in more basic terms.

Also, does a attenuator need to be hooked up weird? Would i need to get someone else to do it?
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
ive played the classic 30 multiple times, and i think it had plenty of gain with just preamp distortion, but yeah, an attenuator for a 30 watt amp should be that much money.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by marvelboy_04
ive played the classic 30 multiple times, and i think it had plenty of gain with just preamp distortion, but yeah, an attenuator for a 30 watt amp should be that much money.

It has plenty of preamp gain, but it's an issue of quality of tone. A 30 watt valve amp like the C30 will sound better cranked, hands down.

But we all knew that.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
i thought it sounded great with just preamp gain. of course my main amp is a crappy valvetronix (even though i do have a killer fender vintage silverface princeton that sounds great cranked.)
im not used to a heavier tube amp.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

If you use the EQ to drop you're volume, it will be the SAME as dropping the volume on you're guitar, which in turn involves less tube gain. You need an attenuator for what you're describing, otherwise people would just drop there volume on there guitars lower.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Ok thanks danyellenik. So again, with a combo amo, does the attenuator need to be hooked up specially?
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
an eq or even a boost pedal that you can turn down in the loop or up when in front are the best bets imo. a volume pedal might get bumped and kill you and are more likely to have a tonesucking circuit.
Quote by boardsofcanada
an eq or even a boost pedal that you can turn down in the loop or up when in front are the best bets imo. a volume pedal might get bumped and kill you and are more likely to have a tonesucking circuit.

Those would have the same effect as using the master volume, which is apparently not working.
You need an attenuator. It goes in between the amp and the speaker, it's not hard. Read my first post, I explained all of this before.
Quote by dzaerpoor
^ attenuators have to be hooked up to the amp wierd right? or does it just go in the effects loop? also why not the 25 watt one? Will that only cut 25 watts?

1. No it goes between the amp and the speaker. That's the thing, you can crank the amp and then you control the volume from the attenuator. You don't have to wire it to the amp, all you need is to disconnect the speaker cable, plug in another speaker cable from the amp to the attenuator and then one from the attenuator to the speaker.

2. The 25W will not cut. You obvisouly doesn't know about output. I'lll simplify it for you. When people say an amp is 30W, it's not it's max output, it's the clean output, the amount of volume BEFORE the amp starts to distort. This means that when you get powertube distortion the amp is pushing out more effect. Sometimes it's up to twice as much. Generally though it's at the most 1,5 times the normal. So a Classic 30 when cranked will push out 50W. And the point of having an attenuator is to be able to crank the amp and then control the volume, this means you need an attenuator rated at 1,5 times the least for your amp.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
ok thanks but im talking about a combo. I would have to disconnect the speaker and that requires some desoldering? then make/solder some new cables and such?
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
Perhaps it would, but were speaking basic soldering. It's VERY easy to do it...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009