ok so my parents are offering to let me "help" pick out a new guitar for my b-day. i would LOVE an SG type guitar but i want the versatility of let's say, an ibanez w/a floyd rose bridge. so i spose my real question is can i get a floyd rose bridge put into an SG model, or even a similar build like a ESP LTD Viper or something
You can't put a Floyd-Rose in an SG because they're too thin. But, ESP does put out one of their Vipers for Travis Miguel from Atreyu, and it has a Floyd Rose in it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Okay, so we were at guitar center today and they have a really nice LTD Viper there used and it's within their price range, so if i was to buy that do you think i could get a FLoyd Rose installed in it? and i thought some SG's were thicker than others, say Epiphone vs Gibson
is this ur first guitar, cause if it is i would recommend not getting a floating trem
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
it would be my second, i've had a squier strat for about three years, but i can't do much shopping, thas y im kinda a newb at the limits of guitars
well then you probably know what you want... I just thought to make a point in saying that cause floyd roses can be bitches, epsecially to beginners. If you know what your messing with and what you want then its not a problem...

but someone suggested that a floating trem is an awesome idea on a starting guitar. But they are a bitch to change tunings and not what a beginner needs, they need the versatility of being able to tune easily and switch between tunings for different songs and artists...

but if you've been playin for 3 years ill retract my previous statement. Just though id give my two cents :P
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
but to answer your question, no not really. I have seen it done before, but typically the SG is way to thin. Can't really be done without an intense amount of modding from what i've been told. You could always get a vibrato unit likee a bigsby though, but it doesn't have nearly the same range as a floating trem
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial