So this weekend we're going to be recording drums for one of our songs, and we're thinking we're going to use about 6 mics for the set. sm57 on the snare, audix kick mic for the bass drum, two overheads, one sm58 or other for the toms and the last one for the floor tom.

We're using Garageband and I know you can record up to 8 tracks simultaneously on there, and i've managed 2 simultaneoulsy so far (from two inputs, mono 1 and mono 2).

this is going straight from the mixer to the audio in, so do you think with say a behringer xenyx 1222fx which comes with the usb interface would be able to send all 6 different signals to the computer via usb so i can set each mic to a different tracka dn edit more precisely?

so pretty much i'm just wondering if its possible to send 6 separate signals to be picked up by garageband so i can split up the different mics into different tracks....
GEAR:

Jackson Dinky DX-10D Amber Sunburst (W/ EMG-81, EMG-85)
EHX Metal Muff
Line 6 PODxt Live
B-52 AT-212
Martin D12X1
I don't think that will be possible with a low end USB setup. You usually need Firewire to be able to send every channel to it's own track in the DAW, as it can send more data at the same time.
There is poetry in despair.
all right, do you know of any firewire mixers that will allow this?
GEAR:

EHX Metal Muff
Line 6 PODxt Live
B-52 AT-212
Martin D12X1
You are recording on a computer. The software is designed to be able to mix the audio, not to mention the fact that the computer is NOT a multitrack recorder, but a complete workstation. For these reasons, you do not need and should not buy a mixer. Get an 8-channel audio interface like the PreSonus FireStudio or a MOTU equivalent.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
well they do sell mixer with firewire or usb capability so that you can record multiple tracks at once. i know firewire mixers can do this, but I'm wondering about this usb mixer.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-MultiMix-16-USB-2.0-16Channel-Mixer?sku=801472

it seems as if on the comments people have mentioned recording 16-18 channels simultaneously but im not sure if that's separate tracks or not...

or this which is firewire...

http://www.alesis.com/multimix16firewire
GEAR:

EHX Metal Muff
Line 6 PODxt Live
B-52 AT-212
Martin D12X1
USB will not and can not send every channel to a seperate track. You are limited to 1 stereo/2 mono tracks.

Firewire mixers are geared for live use with recording on the side. Firewire interfaces are geared for recording an recording only. The Firewire sends on most mixers are pre-bus anyways, meaning any EQ, panning, FX, routing etc done on the mixer is completely ignored.
your best bet is to get an interface with firewire connection and nothing more than 8 inputs with phantom power and a preamp on each input.

mixers are nice but not needed these days, you can use the software to mix and automate and if you need more hands on control later down the line you can use a control board.

plug mics direct into the interface and use the software to set the levels. USB should be kept out of this type setup, firewire I feel is mandatory when it comes to recording more than 2 mono tracks at the same time.

Im sure that alesis mixer would work but for less money or even the same price you could get a better interface and preamps such as this product:

PreSonus FireStudio

One step up IMO is the MOTU 8pre firewire interface.
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 10, 2008,
yeah that presonus looks like the best choice for me, everything about it just looks and sounds awesome! i was considering the FP10 before but they're more expensive until you mentioned this one to me... thanks!
GEAR:

EHX Metal Muff
Line 6 PODxt Live
B-52 AT-212
Martin D12X1
Do you think I'd be able to run the FireStudio through GarageBand? Or is it only compatible with Cubase?
GEAR:

EHX Metal Muff
Line 6 PODxt Live
B-52 AT-212
Martin D12X1
Moody, I'm curious about your praise for MOTU over Presonus. In all my experience Presonus has noticeably better preamps, with more stable conversion. I've often heard references to the "MOTU veil" that the somewhat IMO lackluster preamps with minimalistic gain ranges put over any sound. I recently added a Firestudio to my rack, and I must say it puts my 896HD to shame, even if I track it at 192khz 24-bit. I finally have enough gain to power my ribbons as well =P
I would say sound quality is important but with the reports I've heard on drivers for the Presonus interface I would have to say it's second place in my book for the price range.

I'm sure it works well on most PCs but there will always be those computers where the drivers will be a problem, (like that UX1 toneport I had a while back).
Understood. But then again, if you go MOTU make you sure you DON'T have a Texas Instruments firewire card, or things could get fubar'd rather quickly.
I'm gonna say that a lower end USB equipped mixer isn't going to do it for your 6 tracks to record individually. I would recommend something along the lines the others have been recommending: an 8-track firewire preamp. The PreSonus FireStudio is popular but I only have experience with the PreSonus FirePod (the earlier version).

I would recommend scouring eBay for a used FirePod or FireStudio from a reputable seller. I bought my FirePod for 330 I believe. It works great, has phantom power, individual input levels, and can be daisy chained for more tracks (8+8+8+8... etc.).

If you want some quick examples of how the FirePod sounds, check out this unfinished demo of my band Glass Cannon's funk song Monkey Hat. 2 tracks for piano, one for guitar, one for bass and four for drums (one snare, one kick, two overhead).

Another quick example are the jam tracks in my Jam Corner, they've all been recorded into a FirePod (minus the drums, they are simple loops).

Hope this helps!
Quote by bryanhelmig
I'm gonna say that a lower end USB equipped mixer isn't going to do it for your 6 tracks to record individually. I would recommend something along the lines the others have been recommending: an 8-track firewire preamp. The PreSonus FireStudio is popular but I only have experience with the PreSonus FirePod (the earlier version).

I thought I should mention you mean an 8 input interface.
an 8-track is just a MTR, usually analog when mentioned like this.
a preamp does nothing to get audio into the computer in separate tracks.

A simple mix-up of words can really mess someone up when buying new gear
bryanhelmig your song was really nice sounding. the drums were clean and natural, i think i'll have to check eBay for a firestudio, i've had good luck with ebay so far.
GEAR:

EHX Metal Muff
Line 6 PODxt Live
B-52 AT-212
Martin D12X1
Quote by moody07747
I thought I should mention you mean an 8 input interface.
an 8-track is just a MTR....

Touche, thank you for pointing that out. I meant to expand on that saying how great it is having what is traditionally a preamp as an interface, but alas, I get rather distracted.

Quote by nxtvanhalen
bryanhelmig your song was really nice sounding. the drums were clean and natural

Thanks, they were recorded with two AKG C1000 condensers overhead, an SM57 on snare and an AKG D12 dynamic on kick. I feel like that is sufficient drum coverage that leaves other tracks open for bass, guitar, and vocals.

If you need any advice about equipment and recording, shoot me an email at bryan at betweenthelicks dot com anytime.