Hi, I have a 40w Randall RG40, and it has to be at 1/4 volume before it sounds decent. Anything less then this and it sounds quite poor. I am thinking of upgrading to a similar but more powerful Randall, probably a RX75 or something, but i am concerned that i will have to have it louder to sound good, and since i mainly only playing in my bedroom this may be a problem. I know tube amps are the prime candidates for this problem, but thought i should check it solid states are the same before i go out and buy one, i mean from my small knowledge base, i would suspect they are, as the more powerful a speaker, the more it has to move and the louder will be its optimal quality level.

Any advice would be great, thanks
RG's & Mesa's
Usually SS amps sound bad the louder they are, tube amps sound better the louder they are.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Typically... you need louder volume on a tube amp to get 'better' sound. (because people want the tube saturated sound that only comes from pushing the tubes, which only happens with loud volumes)

With an SS amp... there is no dynamic happening with increases or decreases in volume (in regards to the amp itself). Literally, at volume 2, the output should be the same signal as it is at volume 4 (though a larger amplitude, ie louder).

But... if the amp has more or larger speakers... it will move more air (which will give the impression of more volume). And it is possible you like your current amp at 1/4 volume because your amp is moving more air at higher volumes; and depending on your room setup, it might sound better at this volume level from frequency reflection (lower frequencies like bass can get 'trapped' so to speak, at higher volumes with this "added" bass, you might find it more likeable). But this is all speculative... I don't know exactly what you are getting or what is happening.
Last edited by CyBerAliEn at Apr 10, 2008,
Quote by CyBerAliEn
Typically... you need louder volume on a tube amp to get 'better' sound. (because people want the tube saturated sound that only comes from pushing the tubes, which only happens with loud volumes)

With an SS amp... there is no dynamic happening with increases or decreases in volume (in regards to the amp itself). Literally, at volume 2, the input in and output out should be the same signal as it is as volume 4 (though a larger amplitude, ie louder).

But... if the amp has more or larger speakers... it will move more air (which will give the impression of more volume). And it is possible you like your current amp at 1/4 volume because your amp is moving more air at higher volumes; and depending on your room setup, it might sound better at this volume level from frequency reflection (lower frequencies like bass can get 'trapped' so to speak, at higher volumes with this "added" bass, you might find it more likeable). But this is all speculative... I don't know exactly what you are getting or what is happening.

This is a pretty comprehensive answer.
Also depends on the SS amp. My Vox sounds pretty good at lower volume. My Peavey with transtube technology acts more like a tube amp and gets better the louder it is.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Generally an SS amp will sound better at a moderately loud volume than it does with the volume on the absolute minimum. But anything over around 7-8 (less on some amps) on the volume knob will start to sound crap.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Generally an SS amp will sound better at a moderately loud volume than it does with the volume on the absolute minimum. But anything over around 7-8 (less on some amps) on the volume knob will start to sound crap.

+1.

it's the nature of amps. wheter it is SS or tube; you'll always have to turn the up a little bit for them to sound decent. same with Hi Fi.
What you are experiencing is called the Fletcher Munson effect. Its a bit complicated but essentially applies to all sound sources and says that things wont sound right till they are of a certain volume.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher-Munson_curves
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso