Page 1 of 2
So I was over at my drummers house a few days ago, and he got Rock Band. He plays on expert and all that jazz cause well...he's a drummer. I played on medium for ahwile till I got the hang of it and then I started hard. That kick drum owned me for about 2 hours. Then I got it down. So I go to my local music store, and try out a drum set. Lo' and behold, I can play! Of course, its a simple beat in 4/4 time, but holy Jesus Christ of America! I can play! Anyone else have this amazing one time fee drum teacher? I'm picking it up pronto when I get the moola.
Is this what you want?
is it that realistic?
Quote by Darth_Qurashi
Man it feels just like anal sex, I think; I'm still a virgin

Quote by nebiru
Goose is my Hero.

Quote by Xeus
Yeah, if you get the shag in before she's your legal sister the incest is over turned
Omg yes. I couldn't believe it. My drummer just picked up the sticks and played expert. It literally taught me how to play drums in like 5 hours. If I Play that game like I played the first GH, I could become a real drummer.
Is this what you want?
Yes, it can help teach you the fundamentals of drumming.

No, you cant become a real drummer off Rock Band alone.
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"
What the **** are lady lumps? What does she have, breast cancer?

Bacchus basses FTW!
www.japanvintageguitars.com
that's like masturbating for five hours, and then saying 'well, i guess i'm ready to go have sex now"
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
You can learn a few simple, decent 4/4 beats plus a couple of fills within 45 minutes on a real kit.

It doesn't matter because the basics are the same in rock band and on a real kit.
the same thing happened to me, but in a different type of way... in year 8 music we had to be assessed on the drums and i physically couldnt play them... i had only just started guitar at that time, but anyways, after about 6 months of guitar playing i went back to play the drums and amazingly i could play the standard rock beat no problems!!! i think guitar got my timing better and my co-ordination better
New Playlist On My Profile

Quote by chll
i think she's a horny type girl

cuz 1 tym io remember she asked me to kiss her
my mates been playin the guitar for like 3 years then stopped now he started playin again about 1 year ago. we play stuff like children of bodom and he cant play the drums at all. he cant get timing right or anythin but he gets timing right on guitar. i was good at drums ever since i played on one for the first time. i dont even have a kit lol
I play drums as well as guitar and rock band is very similar. It keeps rythm and teaches you basic beats.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Yeah, Well its not like im expecting to become the next keith moon on this thing, but it is pretty nifty.

P.S Leony03
Children of Bodom rock!!
Is this what you want?
My bro plays drums, I play guitar, bass, drums and i sing so We're both thinking about getting Rock band simply for kicks, but if it's actually good we may really get it.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Quote by druz15_UG
that's like masturbating for five hours, and then saying 'well, i guess i'm ready to go have sex now"
when you can masturbate for five continuous hours, you can do anything.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Zugunruhe

'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
i used gh 2 to build up strength in my pinky whilst not playing real guitar
Quote by Darth_Qurashi
Man it feels just like anal sex, I think; I'm still a virgin

Quote by nebiru
Goose is my Hero.

Quote by Xeus
Yeah, if you get the shag in before she's your legal sister the incest is over turned
I think drums are a really mental thing, as in you can think about it to learn basically. For a while when I couldn't drum at all, I was thinking about how the hell they did it, so when I had an actual drumkit, I could keep a 4/4 beat. I was both happy and surprised.
Drums aren't a difficult instrument anyway. If you have a good natural rhythm, you're all set to go once you're familiar with how it works.

For example my friend, never owned a drum kit in his life, absolutely pwns ass on them v-drums in Sound Control. I, however, cannot play the drums to save my life.
A friend of mine quite a good drummer, playing with my schools senior rock & tech band. That being said, he can't beat anything on easy on Rock Band drums. So it's not always the same for drums and Rock Band I'd assume.
rock band helped me learn the essentials of drumming. I like how it allows you to do fills then you have to go back to the rhythm that is good practice for real life fills because after fills inexperienced drummers tend to go off tempo
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
I'm gonna buy it when it comes out here for that very reason. I don't expect it to make me awesome at drums, but It'll get my rhythm and coordination to a good level.
Everyone becomes a genius when they join UG
Quote by Vermintide
Drums aren't a difficult instrument anyway. If you have a good natural rhythm, you're all set to go once you're familiar with how it works.

For example my friend, never owned a drum kit in his life, absolutely pwns ass on them v-drums in Sound Control. I, however, cannot play the drums to save my life.

What you mean to say is. Drums aren't difficult if you have natural rhythm.

It frustrates me when i say how i play drums and how long i've been playing and people just go they are **** or easy.

They aren't easy at all. You can play any instrument but it all varies with how well you can play it and what type of music you are playing.

All rock band does it teach you how to play in time (and if your on this forum and can't play in time well...) and play simple beats.

There is alot more to it than just wacking them and sorry that i included you as a quote this isn't aimed directly at you it's just a small rant.

Like the thing i find hilarious is when guitarists are like

"Drums are easy, anyone can play them"

heres a good example - drums aren't that difficult? excerpt of tools schism:

13/8                       9/8
C |X--------X--X-------------|X-X---X-X---X-X---|
R |----x-x-------x-x---------|------------------|
S |------o-------o-----f-f---|o-o---o-o---o-o---|
t |--------o--------o--------|------------------|
T |-----------o------o-------|------------------|
f |------------------------oo|------------------|
B |o---o--o-o--o--o---o-o-o--|o-o--do-o--oo-o-o-|
  |1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+0+1+2+3+|1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+|

Then they sit behind a kit and can't play jack **** and have to use stupid computer programs to write them and what they write is usually basic stuff anyway.

Even if you had grade 8 theory it wouldn't really help you with drums considering all the extra drums theory you need to know.

/rant over

but in answer to the thread yeah it could teach you some of the basics but there is alot more to it than what people assume, like feel and technique you couldn't really get out of it.
Last edited by str84ever at Apr 10, 2008,
all rockband will do is teach you some basic coordination skills and that's about it. it doesn't even feel realistic in any way.

my cousin's a really good drummer and he can barely play on medium in that thing while i barely manage to keep simple beats on drums but can play hard/expert on rockband.

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by str84ever
What you mean to say is. Drums aren't difficult if you have natural rhythm.

It frustrates me when i say how i play drums and how long i've been playing and people just go they are **** or easy.

They aren't easy at all. You can play any instrument but it all varies with how well you can play it and what type of music you are playing.

All rock band does it teach you how to play in time (and if your on this forum and can't play in time well...) and play simple beats.

There is alot more to it than just wacking them and sorry that i included you as a quote this isn't aimed directly at you it's just a small rant.

Like the thing i find hilarious is when guitarists are like

"Drums are easy, anyone can play them"

heres a good example - drums aren't that difficult? excerpt of tools schism:

13/8                       9/8
C |X--------X--X-------------|X-X---X-X---X-X---|
R |----x-x-------x-x---------|------------------|
S |------o-------o-----f-f---|o-o---o-o---o-o---|
t |--------o--------o--------|------------------|
T |-----------o------o-------|------------------|
f |------------------------oo|------------------|
B |o---o--o-o--o--o---o-o-o--|o-o--do-o--oo-o-o-|
|1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+0+1+2+3+|1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+|

Then they sit behind a kit and can't play jack **** and have to use stupid computer programs to write them and what they write is usually basic stuff anyway.

Even if you had grade 8 theory it wouldn't really help you with drums considering all the extra drums theory you need to know.

/rant over

but in answer to the thread yeah it could teach you some of the basics but there is alot more to it than what people assume, like feel and technique you couldn't really get out of it.

+1
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
The thing with drums is that it's easy to think, 'wow I can play a beat, drums are easy!' Its deceptive. In order to be a solid, on time, professional level drummer you have to have a lot of experience under your belt. Theres WAY more to drums than meets the ear.

The sad thing is that most people don't realize this. %95 of the drummers I know can't even friggin tune their drums... oh, and they HATE metronomes. I guess its that whole playing solid thing, gets annoying.
We're only strays.
Pinky19 - I've always wondered what drum tabs looked like! I'm glad you've posted it!

As to Martyr's' comments, you're right. I can play a simple (really simple) beat on drums, and there is no way I could do anything else. Playing the drums well is something you seldom see in local music. In my hometown (Harrogate, not Leeds), there have been hundereds of bands, out of which I can honestly say there have been only 2 good drummers.
Quote by Vermintide

try some jazz or tech death drumming. not easy. and it's not all about getting accurate like lead guitar playing. it's very physically demanding.
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

My Last .fm page: http://www.last.fm/user/mcgelie
Quote by Zugunruhe

That is so goddamn siggable...
its easier for real drummers to play on expert because you just play along with the song bassically. but on easy it slows it down and simplifys it for you so its confusing to real drummers
Quote by Ross724
whats harder than nailing a dead baby to a tree

nailing a live baby to a dog
Well seeing how it has a lot of the stuff on real drums unlike GH which only has 5 notes, it could help you a lot with synchro and rhythm issues.

But you would probably catch bad habits so I'd recommend a teacher.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Vermintide
Drums aren't a difficult instrument anyway.

Just because most people can learn to play a simple 4/4 rock beat in 1 day doesn't mean it's not a difficult instrument. In fact, I'd say that in a lot of types of music (particularly jazz) drums are one of the most difficult instruments. It takes a lot of skill to become a good drummer.
Quote by benco

True, to an extent.

There's a video of Kevin Pereira from Attack of the Show! and he got interview Coheed and Cambria, and he told them that her can get solid 97 and 98% on "Welcome Home" on the drums, and the drummer challenged him to play the song, since Kevin had no real prior experience.

So he put Kevin behind the kit, told him a few things to get him started, and Kevin played the song near perfectly with no trouble.

In fact, I found the vid.

http://www.kevinpereira.com/?p=37

So, yeah, I agree, it teaches you fundamentals, and it in no way makes you a REAL drummer, but it's a good starting point, IMO.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by Zugunruhe

One of those things being testicular cancer.
Father ov Terror!
Abu ol-Hol
enter the pylon
thru' the galleys ov past
catacombs ov night
into the starry womb

www.belphegor.at
I learned how to play drums a lot more quickly than guitar...that's for sure.
Quote by burrit0
Pshh, Christians rebel against evil.

-Gibson Les Paul Custom -
-Random acoustic guitar that's 36 years old -
-Epiphone Dot Deluxe -
-Gibson Les Paul Studio -
-Epiphone PR200E -
Quote by fallenangel20
True, to an extent.

There's a video of Kevin Pereira from Attack of the Show! and he got interview Coheed and Cambria, and he told them that her can get solid 97 and 98% on "Welcome Home" on the drums, and the drummer challenged him to play the song, since Kevin had no real prior experience.

So he put Kevin behind the kit, told him a few things to get him started, and Kevin played the song near perfectly with no trouble.

In fact, I found the vid.

http://www.kevinpereira.com/?p=37

So, yeah, I agree, it teaches you fundamentals, and it in no way makes you a REAL drummer, but it's a good starting point, IMO.

Thats frickin crazy
Quote by benco

thank you! there is absolutely no substitute for the real thing. rock band is fun, but give me my les paul anyday.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
you're right TS, same thing happened to me. I never had anything resembling skills on drums, then played rock band, and even though it's not even close to a real teacher, it really did help me learn some fundamentals.
Quote by IwannaBeSadated

I would have any sort of sex with any sort of animal.

My brother played on expert for a while, and he wanted to play on my friends pearl export, so we let him, and he could actually play better then our drummer. He plays the hell out of the game though, he's ranked in teh top 200 in the world:/
Page 1 of 2