Well, I'm rather unsure about my options for years 10 and 11, so I've come to the pit for help. I don't know whether I should take music or not (we have to write and perform 2 pieces of music we wrote and also do a group piece). I'm a self taught guitarist, and have been playing for around a year, my skills are improving at a fast pace. I heard we have to do a bit of theory somewhere, too. So I'm reading through this.

So, pit, what are your experiences with the music GCSE? What is required? And will theory help me as much as I think it will?

Thanks (:
I would also like to know this.

I've just handed in my options form and I've taken music so yeah.
If its bad I'm stuck with it
Girls exist on UG.
You're the same as me, I picked it. Its good.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
I got a C and I'm not very good. You seem confident in your skills, you should maybe give it a shot.
i picked it .... was best GCSE descision i made ..... that and pot.... but anyways yeah go for it not hard to pass n ull have fun plus it opens loads of doors for ure A levels
Sometimes the only friends you have are guitars n beer =D
from past experiences of my friends ( i didnt take it) it seemed pretty **** and totally pointless but ur school mite be better so good luck
Quote by spyriadon
i picked it .... was best GCSE descision i made ..... that and pot.... but anyways yeah go for it not hard to pass n ull have fun plus it opens loads of doors for ure A levels

u took pot for gcse? which sylibus is ur school using??!
I'm in Year 11, about 2 months away from my exam.

I found it to not be a theory-orientated as I'd feared, so that's a plus, and I've picked up basic theory along the way. However, this doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of theory to do.

The compositions and performances are a doss, really.
We get around 2 months on 140 minutes a week to complete them, there's really no rush.

It requires a lot of memorising composers (famous pieces, what period they're from, etc), and general musical fact. There's also a vocabulary sheet about 10 pages long that you're supposed to know, full of insane words like djembe, for all these different African / Asian instruments and techniques.

It's a fair bit of work, but still remains one of my favourite GCSE subjects, as well as one of my A level choices.

I'd recommend it. Hope this helps.
R E G G A E
Yeh i did it at GCSE but at that time i didnt give a damn about theory, now 2 years on and taking my grade 5 theory exam in June, i wish I had known all this before. It can help you but dont bog yourself down with it, try put it into use. I got A*'s and A's in my performances and compositions then cocked up my exam which left me with a B. Its an orite course, but u always get the kids who use it as a copout subject, as in they jus wanna mess about for abit and disturb everyone else. And I hope you have a nice teacher, i had 4 in the course of 2 years, all women, all either, useless, absolute bitch, strange or couldn't control the class. But good luck with it

Also a good site for learning theory is Here
My gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS McCarty 10 Top
+more
JCM900 Head and 1960B
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR ZW-44
Korg Pitchblack
Small Clone
Boss GE-7

Check my band
www.suicideblonderocks.co.uk
\i did it as gcse.
ii had to perform a solo piece and a group piece.
theory was crap. didnt leran any of it but my teacher was to busy sexy timing with a student. im learning the thoery in college.
so yeh its cool choise i guess, we didnt have a teacher for ther above reason for most of tthe year.
xx
Nathy
Quote by TheDarkestNights
I'm in Year 11, about 2 months away from my exam.

I found it to not be a theory-orientated as I'd feared, so that's a plus, and I've picked up basic theory along the way. However, this doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of theory to do.

The compositions and performances are a doss, really.
We get around 2 months on 140 minutes a week to complete them, there's really no rush.

It requires a lot of memorising composers (famous pieces, what period they're from, etc), and general musical fact. There's also a vocabulary sheet about 10 pages long that you're supposed to know, full of insane words like djembe, for all these different African / Asian instruments and techniques.

It's a fair bit of work, but still remains one of my favourite GCSE subjects, as well as one of my A level choices.

I'd recommend it. Hope this helps.

It did help so parts are a bit like history? cause I like history
Quote by 05t16
It did help so parts are a bit like history? cause I like history

As far as just plain-old remembering stuff goes, yeah.
Like you'll have to learn what years the Romantic, Classical, Baroque periods were, as well as some composers for each, and the aforementioned vocabulary.

But if you can keep down facts, it'll be a doddle.
R E G G A E
Quote by TheDarkestNights
As far as just plain-old remembering stuff goes, yeah.
Like you'll have to learn what years the Romantic, Classical, Baroque periods were, as well as some composers for each, and the aforementioned vocabulary.

But if you can keep down facts, it'll be a doddle.

Well, as long as I don't have to have any previous knowledge of it and get taught all this stuff
take notes and revise a bit, practice your listening skills. Coupled with good coursework its an easy a!
Quote by grungeisdeaduk
the preformances are great but the theory bit bored me

i agree with that ^^^
the composition isnt that bad, but intergraded assiments suck
Do you wanna do music at coll? if so then might be a good idea
music performance is great <3333
Quote by 05t16
Well, as long as I don't have to have any previous knowledge of it and get taught all this stuff

It's all taught in the first year.
Or at least it was for me.
R E G G A E
Quote by lexieangel
i agree with that ^^^
the composition isnt that bad, but intergraded assiments suck
Do you wanna do music at coll? if so then might be a good idea
music performance is great <3333

i might do it in college, gee, hadn't thought that far forward yet lol!
If you want to learn the theory, it is pretty cool, but if notm u will find it a bore
My gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS McCarty 10 Top
+more
JCM900 Head and 1960B
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR ZW-44
Korg Pitchblack
Small Clone
Boss GE-7

Check my band
www.suicideblonderocks.co.uk
The exam is piss easy (really) and I'm managing to get decent grades in the practice performances by just playing 5 chords and singing. It's okay but I don't feel that I'm much better at music because of taking it.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
I'm not blowing my own horn or anything, but I wasn't even taught music and passed the GCSE exam. I did Music Production (similar to AS Music Technology) and just got put in for the exam. At the time, I had played violin for approx 5 years, with no knowledge of the composers of each period of music. As long as you use common sense and keep your head in the exam, it should be fine.
^ Yeps. There's no foundation/higher for music, so they base the exam on the idea that everyone taking it knows nothing. Don't be too clever (don't over-analyse) and you'll be fine (you can give a perfect, really complicated answer and not get the mark, but like a 3 word obvious answer and you can get it).
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
its really not that hard at all apart from a little bit of remembering. go for it.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
You don't need to know any theory at all. I came out with a B in it for GCSE when I knew nothing about theory and stopped bothering to show up halfway through the year
Our class rushed through learning Music GCSE in a year, and even then, there wasn't a lot of work to do. Like people say, there's not a lot of theory, most of it is just learning facts. My advice is to try and get full marks on the composition and performance, as I found the exam quite difficult; the questions are plain stupid in some cases, and at the worst, don't even make sense.
Example: one part of a question asks the key signature of a piece. A question a couple of parts later, for the same extract reads: "this extract is in 4/4. That is similar to which other of the following keys?" WTF?
It's probably my favourite GCSE subject; unless you're a complete tone deaf retard, GCSE Music will be a breeze. Performing and composing were fun. Hell, even the Listening exam was pretty chill. It's definitely the most relaxing and probably the most enjoyable GCSE you could take.
You just need an average musicl ability, and you learn the theory as you go through. I mean, all I had was grade 1 piano in year 11 and I managed to get a sodding A in it!

My Website

Sometimes I make people spurt:
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
sigged for making me spurt guiness on my laptop...damn you!

Quote by imdeth

Jimmy that was pure awesomeness. WIN!
Music GCSE as far as I know is pretty boring. I take the BTEC course and thats much better
You don't really need to know theory to do well. Also you don't need to know the names of the composers but you need to know how to tell the difference between these weird types of music like minimilism and serialism.
I'm doing music, and its awesome, but if you haven't done alot of theory before its hard, me adn this other guitarist are doing it, and i find it so much easier because i play the piano and do music grades there.
lol@u