I've asked this 100 times and pulling the trigger today unless I get a reason not too. Liked the sound of the vox more than the cube, even though I'll play a lot of metal, it's traditional stuff like Maiden, ozzy, VH, Priest, Metallica plus hopefully some classic rock stuff and some kids songs for my daughters. I know a lot of people say the cube may be better, but I should be fine with the vox right....and since I don't like nu-metal/modern really high gain metal, the regular vox should suit me better than the XL, right?

Sorry for bugging everyone the last few weeks, but I really appreciate everyone's help.
Last edited by Eddie NYC at Apr 10, 2008,
I think it's a good move.

The original is much better than the XL. The XL isn't even that great for what it's marketed towards. It tends to get muddy.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Yeah, the AD30VT is a good choice
Sharing is caring
Fuck the RIAA

- Gear -
ESP LTD MH-400
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AD30VT
Zoom G2.1u
yes, i think you are making a good move.
vox is a great brand of amp and you are definetely getting your mones worth

i recently bought a vox ad50vt, pretty much the same thing. It has a lot more versitility than the marshall, and you can make marshall kind of sounds with some of the presets of the vox. then again if you really dig that marshall tone, then you could upgrade to a 30w marshall. i think the vox covers a lot of different styles of playing, hence its great versitility.

vox all the way i say.
tld;dr

judging from title, great move (Y)
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Quote by TomPlaysGuitar
yes, i think you are making a good move.
vox is a great brand of amp and you are definetely getting your mones worth

i recently bought a vox ad50vt, pretty much the same thing. It has a lot more versitility than the marshall, and you can make marshall kind of sounds with some of the presets of the vox. then again if you really dig that marshall tone, then you could upgrade to a 30w marshall. i think the vox covers a lot of different styles of playing, hence its great versitility.

vox all the way i say.

Honestly, most bands I listen to play marshalls so I think I'll end up playing the UK settings 95% of the time. I just know there's a massive disconnect between the JCM800 that I would love it it was miniature and an MG. So I'm hoping the vox sound gets me closer to that sound than the MG will. I really don't need the 30 watt, but having the wattage control on the back seems like a good idea in case my kids play with the master on the front without me knowing it and also to try to get a little better gain by cranking.
May be a better move, but I don't know about good. Seriously, before you drop your cash look at a cheap tube amp and some pedals. I'd be very surprised if you don't find vastly improved tone for the same price or maybe just a few $$$ more. My G/f's Vj combo with a cheap Multi pedal is superior to most SS amps in the $300 range. With stuff like the Palomino, Blackheart, and Vj running around I'm surprised they sell as many SS amps as they do.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Just got the AD15VT. Would have been nice to get the 30 with the wattage control, but my wife will think it's way to big. This one is closer to the old MG size. I don't remember it being that big, but wow, the vox's are a lot bigger than the cube and MG's. Hoping will be fine. Never went past 2 on the MG's master volume and that was an MG15.

Thanks everyone.
Quote by perkristian876
tld;dr

judging from title, great move (Y)

Go back to msn.
haha i love how us men are having to get amps that suit our SIGNIFICANT OTHERS' expectations (not too loud...not too expensive....NOTHING FUN!) lol

i'm jus glad my gf will NOT have control of how loud of amps or price range of my equipment in the future when we are married. told her we're having a "sound" room in the house strictly for instruments and recording. maybe even get that sound proof glass expensive, but worth it!

i have that same amp, it's beautiful little practice amp. great tone. the effects are quite good on it, just not a fan of AUTO wah....the real deal is more fun. very tweakable. just make sure u don't use presets....use "Manual" and everything is much more responsive!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
haha i love how us men are having to get amps that suit our SIGNIFICANT OTHERS' expectations (not too loud...not too expensive....NOTHING FUN!) lol

i'm jus glad my gf will NOT have control of how loud of amps or price range of my equipment in the future when we are married. told her we're having a "sound" room in the house strictly for instruments and recording. maybe even get that sound proof glass expensive, but worth it!

i have that same amp, it's beautiful little practice amp. great tone. the effects are quite good on it, just not a fan of AUTO wah....the real deal is more fun. very tweakable. just make sure u don't use presets....use "Manual" and everything is much more responsive!!

I'll let you talk to my wife then.

So you don't think that when playing at low volumes (usually 1-3), there will be a big tone difference between this and the 30 watt that you can drop the wattage down on and push up the master volume? I'll never use 30 watts or probably even the full 15 and I'd rather have more than less portable, but I don't want to give up a sound benefit by not getting the 30 after selling the MG.
haha different wives, different personalities! sometimes i think others should have more consideration for their husband/wife's hobby....that's like tellin' ur wife "hey you can only have FIVE pairs of shoes....and nothing fancy and expensive!" lol....no point in fightin' it rite now, it's just my analogy in order to bring sense to the stubborn.

i'm not sure if i quite get ur question. are you asking if there's a big tone difference in the 30 watt vox vs. a smaller wattaged one? if so, then i'd say the tone is BETTER in the 30 watt, bigger speaker an all. if ur asking if there's a big tone difference in that at a low level vs. an MG at same volume then YES. the MG at full volume wouldn't compare to a Vox at even the lowest.

i'd go w/ the 30 watt vox, it's nice to be able to jam w/ a drummer every once in a while. otherwise you can just keep the wattage control to the quieter side till you need more.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005

i'm not sure if i quite get ur question. are you asking if there's a big tone difference in the 30 watt vox vs. a smaller wattaged one? if so, then i'd say the tone is BETTER in the 30 watt, bigger speaker an all. if ur asking if there's a big tone difference in that at a low level vs. an MG at same volume then YES. the MG at full volume wouldn't compare to a Vox at even the lowest.

i'd go w/ the 30 watt vox, it's nice to be able to jam w/ a drummer every once in a while. otherwise you can just keep the wattage control to the quieter side till you need more.

Thanks. I don't think I asked it the right way. If I don't crank 15 watt (which I won't), will the tone not nearly be as good b/c it has a tube in it. If so, putting the speaker size aside, the 30 with the wattage really low would probably be a better bet b/c it seems like I'd need to crank the master volume (on top of the amp, not the back) to have a decent tone.....which would be too loud on the 15 watt for normal usage at night.
to be completely honest, the Vox doesn't quite work like a full tube amp. you dont HAVE to crank it to get a good tone at all. that's how it works when POWER tubes are used to increase volume. Vox only uses a tube in the PREAMP, so it's volume is still increased like any other SS amp. so therefor you don't have to crank it to get natural tube breakup. some say the preamp tube doens't make much difference in the tone and that the amp is just a really great sounding SS/hybrid. that's up to you to decide.

keep in mind that a FULLY tube amp WILL have more natural sounding distortion b/c they have POWER tubes instead of transistors. hence why they sound less "digital" or "fake." but the vox will sound great nonetheless. i say keep w/ ur decision, and if down the road you want something that sounds more natural, get a blackheart/epi valve junior and an OD pedal. but if you take that route you will have to purchase effects seperately. that's a BIG plus of the vox, the built in effects are really nice.

you will be happy w/ ur decision i'm sure of it. what stuff do you play again?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
to be completely honest, the Vox doesn't quite work like a full tube amp. you dont HAVE to crank it to get a good tone at all. that's how it works when POWER tubes are used to increase volume. Vox only uses a tube in the PREAMP, so it's volume is still increased like any other SS amp. so therefor you don't have to crank it to get natural tube breakup. some say the preamp tube doens't make much difference in the tone and that the amp is just a really great sounding SS/hybrid. that's up to you to decide.

keep in mind that a FULLY tube amp WILL have more natural sounding distortion b/c they have POWER tubes instead of transistors. hence why they sound less "digital" or "fake." but the vox will sound great nonetheless. i say keep w/ ur decision, and if down the road you want something that sounds more natural, get a blackheart/epi valve junior and an OD pedal. but if you take that route you will have to purchase effects seperately. that's a BIG plus of the vox, the built in effects are really nice.

THANK YOU. YOU HAVE BEEN EXTREMELY HELPFUL. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.

I'm still learning, but will mostly Maiden, GnR, Priest, Metallica, Ozzy etc. The funny thing is, the more I dink around, the more I like to play the Stones and other classic rock that isn't as power chord driven. I'm also working on trying to learn some kid songs for my young daughters, that's why this seemed a better option than the XL for me. Can't wait to get it home!
i tried the XL, not for long tho, just a few minutes tinkering to see what all the fuss was about. i didn't really notice anything i couldn't get on the original. i've played all those bands w/ the vox and know it will do just fine. one of my favorite models was the AC30 one. really great for classic rock sound, just not for your 80s metal like metallica and ozzy. and the boutique OD is GREAT, i LOVE that one just as much. really really crunchy gain. great blues and rock w/ that. UK 80s is my favorite for just all around heavy gain stuff like G N R and all the other 80s metal type music. i use the nu-metal setting for drop D and hi gain metal, though it wont quite do death metal!! doubt that really dissapoints you lol.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005

The tube is in the power amp sir, and it does sound better with the master cranked.
really? as far as i know it's a 12ax7 PREAMP tube. in the preamp. if it were powered by power tubes rather a transistor, it'd be PRETTY HARD to miss the one or two big ass power tubes! lol.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
really? as far as i know it's a 12ax7 PREAMP tube. in the preamp. if it were powered by power tubes rather a transistor, it'd be PRETTY HARD to miss the one or two big ass power tubes! lol.

Manual says it's a power amp, not a pre-amp. Should I take it back to get the 30? Now I'm worried that I'm not going to get a good tone b/c I'm going to play at low volumes with the 15. Any thoughts?

Can I roll back the guitar volume and raise the amp volume to get the same effect of the drive, but at a lower volume??
Last edited by Eddie NYC at Apr 10, 2008,
dont worry about it.

if you want the 30, because you want something you wont grow out of too fast then fine. but vox hybrids arent the same as tube amps and either vox will sound ok at lower levels, unlike a 5W tube amp, which sounds like dog until cranked.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
dont worry about it.

if you want the 30, because you want something you wont grow out of too fast then fine. but vox hybrids arent the same as tube amps and either vox will sound ok at lower levels, unlike a 5W tube amp, which sounds like dog until cranked.

Hope so. The manual keeps talking about cranking it to sound good and turning down the wattage.....then says I can't on mine!!!
okay, let's clear some things up, I own the AD30VT

The 12AX7 tube is in the POWER stage of the amplifier...

It does sound slightly better cranked with the wattage control down.

A FREE UPGRADE to you're tone (found by experimenting ) can be achieved by taking the back off, i know theres like 12 screws but it's worth it.... it actually cleared up some muddyness in the distortion and really brightened up and made the cleans better.

I'll edit this post with some the two channel presets I use.

EDIT:

Danyellenik's VOX AD30VT Settings

All these settings use a 1-10 scale... In Manual mode

Chan 1

Clean:

AMP: Black 2x12
GAIN: 4
VOLUME: i have it at 10, it's up to you
TREBLE: 5
MIDDLE: 4
BASS: 6

EFFECTS: tremolo+reverb
EDIT1: 2-3
EDIT2: 5
EDIT3: 2-3

and no noise reduction when I'm splitting between two single coils, i use some reduction when using my neck P-up only.

Chan 2:

Dirty:
(crank up the gain if you want more metal, i don't like lots of gain though.)

AMP: UK 80's (the only good 1 IMO)
GAIN: 4
VOLUME: 5 ish? again, up to you
TREBLE: 6
MIDDLE: 7-8
BASS: 7

EFFECTS: Comp (adjust to liking)

Those are the setting I use after lots of tweaking.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
^ok let's clear some things up. dont you have tubedudes avatar?

and if you want to clear that tone up you should swap out that speaker.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

see my post on the tone, take the back off = improvement
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by slash_rocks2005

As clearly stated in my sig, I have a AD50VT. The manual says that it's in the power stage of the circuit. It sounds WAY better cranked.

and danyellenik, how much better is the tone without the back?
they also say the mg has crushing OD. but you know. this is a 15W practice amp here.

it's not volume dependant like tube amps.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

well I was home all day today, and I decided i would see what taking the back off does to the tone. So i did and I find it got rid of some of the muddyness in the gain channels, and the blues channel AC30, really sounded better, it sings now. My clean preset shown above sounds great now too, slight sparkle but not harsh to the ears with the middle SC. Sort of fendery cleans now, much clearer.

EDIT: haha i forgot to mention, the 3 guitar picks that where inside my cab SOMEHOW (pretty sure they fell in the vents on top?) aren't rattling anymore since i took them out
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by jj1565
dont worry about it.

Yup, yup, yup ^^.
You'll be happy with the vox 15 watter, and there won't be much tone difference in that and the 30 watter. Also I thought the tube is a 12AX7, but its not used in the preamp, its somewhere else thats not gonna make much difference(probably wrong). But anyway its a nice amp and will sound good for what you want.
Quote by scott58
My G/f's Vj combo with a cheap Multi pedal is superior to most SS amps in the $300 range. With stuff like the Palomino, Blackheart, and Vj running around I'm surprised they sell as many SS amps as they do.

wait... I'm sorry....what about your girlfriends VJ??
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!