The screw holder on my Epiphone Les Paul for my shoulderband (sorry, I don't know the english name, but you get it?) is "broken".

I can't screw the screw far enough into the wood to make it stuck.

It doesn't stay in, it justs starts to unscrew itself when I stand up and play using my shoulder band. It's quite frustrating as I don't want the hold to brake when playing and smash my guitar into the ground...

I've tried with a longer screw, to see if it could find threads further into the wood, but the holder didn't stay on with that one either.

The pics will hopefully explain what it's all about.

Do you think I should try to use a screw combined with glue (like epoxy?) to make it work?
Or use a thicker screw to make whole new threads in the wood, as the current ones seem bad?

Thankful for help
For future reference: Shoulderband = Strap.

And, your problem isn't the length of the screw, it's the girth. ("Hey, that's what she said!" No.) Some people in here will tell you to go and glue some matches (without the head, obviously) in there and force the screw in there, so it has more wood to thread in.
thats a bummer you could try glueing a coupleofmatch sticks in the hole and then use a bigger screw could work?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Break up some tooth picks and cram them in there with some wood glue.
Then screw the screw back into the toothpicks
Wow, thanks for your fast replies!

But to stick matches/tooth picks in my beauty doesn't sound very appealing

Some of you say glue, some of you say bigger screw. Maybe a combination of both would be best then?

Quote by Y00p
For future reference: Shoulderband = Strap.

hehe, thanks
Quote by Disco Volante
Wow, thanks for your fast replies!

But to stick matches/tooth picks in my beauty doesn't sound very appealing

Well, you never mentioned your nose for the fine aesthetics.

Also, for a LP, something like this (guitar falling of strapbuttons) is gonna occur more often, may I suggest using some sort of straplock?

Look 'm up on a site from wherever the hell you are, they're handy!

But, aren't those just locks that prevent the strap from falling of the hold? Not keeping the holds attached to the guitar?
listen.

toothpicks and match sticks are wood.

you need to add wood and glue. not just glue.

all you need to do is cram as many toothpicks in there as will fit. add the wood glue and screw in thru the toothpicks. let it set and u'll be fine.

adding a larger screw, just eats away more wood.

trying to add strap locks wont work either. even with a larger screw you should always add more wood.

even a top luthier will add wood. usually in the form or tapping in a wood dowel, then redrilling in thru the dowel for the new strap peg.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you use a bigger screw; it will make it a lot worse than it already is, just glue; won't work.

You must add some wood and glue, toothpicks and matches are the easiest for you (that's what I did with mine), but if you really want it to hold long, you must do what^ said a luhier would do.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
More wood: matches toothpicks, it's worked for everyone so far , you're no exception.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
fill the hole with a fake wood or you can fill it with glue then screw it back in
get a match
dip in in PVA glue
shove it in the hole
snap the head off
screw strap pin in

simple
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by Disco Volante
But, aren't those just locks that prevent the strap from falling of the hold? Not keeping the holds attached to the guitar?

Nope, it won't.

I was just pointing out, LP's are heavy, and they tend to slip of of your strap more easily. Straplocks prevent that from happening.
^like said, a good time to add strap locks IS NOW.

in other words, you have the screw out already, so why not swap for locks.

rather than fixing this problem, only to have to take the screw out again one day to add locks then.

but yeah the locks wont solve the problem, adding wood will, like said ten times.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Alright, I'm convinced

I'll go with the match/tooth pick + glue options.

And I will probably buy those locks aswell, as the strap HAS slipped off once or twice
where are you from? i'm from udine...
timeo abstemios et dona ferentes

- lovermate: fender american stratocaster sunburnst
- powermate: marshall mg 30 dfx

- seiko tuner (sooo useful)
- korg metronome (keep fingers bleeding...)
You can also try a wooden dowel pin instead of the toothpicks. Its a solid piece of wood. Press it in and just screw things back together. I did it with my schecter. You can find dowel pins at a hobby or hardware store.