I've spent sooooooo long searching for the right and affordable tube amp for me but can't find one. Well...

I need something that can handle a bit of high gain, the types of tone I'm inspired by is:

Dave Navarro - One Hot Minute (RHCP)
Mike Einziger - All albums (Incubus)
John Frusciante - Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magik (RHCP)
Mike and Stone - Most albums (Pearl Jam)

The highest gain I'd me looking for would be RATM and AiC kinda gain.

I'm looking for something 15 - 30 watts, no more.

My price range isn't a lot as my family is on a huge budget. I'm probably looking at $500 - $700 AUD.

I play anything from jazz to alternative metal.

So yeah, any good suggestions (and maybe some good website with cheap stuff that sends to Australia) would be great.

Thank UG
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Last edited by sebastian_96 at Apr 12, 2008,
I dont like orange amps but the tiny terror just popped into my mind. Should get those sweet pearl jam tones. Are TTs 15w? haha I dont even know.. ****. Im in Aus too but Im not sure how much they are.

Are you looking for a head or combo?
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
peavey VK
peavey C30
AC30
JCM800
crate palomino V32
rocker 30

food for thought
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I'll check them out...I'll report back once I'm done researching.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
^ You'd only get some of those used for $500-700 though. The AC30 is like $2,000 here.

Oh yeah and I forgot about the rocker 30, that could go well for you.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
man I'm in AUS and you should go used, way better.
or go to big sales.

just go to a music store and try everything within your budget and see what you like.
then go on ebay or something.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Sounds like a JCM800 is right up your alley.
I think every one of those artists, at one time or another, used or currently uses an 800. Go 2204 - 50 Watt version if you do and find a good OD pedal for it.
jcm800 combo is over a grand in AUS brand new, so go used.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Quote by demea
Sounds like a JCM800 is right up your alley.
I think every one of those artists, at one time or another, used or currently uses an 800. Go 2204 - 50 Watt version if you do and find a good OD pedal for it.

JCM800 for jazz ?
Any good links of places or websites that sell used JMC800 combos?

the muffin!
Hey man, since you live in Aus your shipping costs might not be too high and I think they fit your budget, so check out www.ceriatone.com They got JCM 800 kits but also other low wattage kits which may serve your purpose better.
You can also customise them so just email the guy telling him what you looking for. There are a few youtube videos if you wanna check it out. I would have defintely gone this way if I hadn't got my JCM 900 so cheap.
Good luck dude!
Gear Now:
Epiphone G400
JCM 900 4100
1960a cab
SD - 1

Next:
EQ Pedal

Go! Go! Bronco

You won't ever see me falling to my knees
I won't live for something I can't see
^I'll check it out, thanks buddy.

EDIT: After looking at that website I have no idea what I'm looking at.

Is the JCM800 2204 a combo amp or just a head?

but yeah, I'm throughly confused.

the muffin!
No, no no no no no..

Don't order from overseas. We run our voltage currency thingy on 240 volts, where America is mainly on 120volts, meaning you'll **** up whatever you have plugged into our power points if you use stuff from America.
Hmmm touche'.

I hate trying to find an amp.

EDIT: How would Laney LCs go?

the muffin!
^ I'd say that if You want a Laney, buy VC not LC. For me it's far better. and great for RHCP
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
Yeah, you aint gunna get that much here in Aus. The laney LC and VC series are pretty good. You'd only get the 15 watter though, unless you go used. Boosted by an overdrive they'll get pretty nice overdrive, and the LC has nice cleans.. not sure about the VC. I've seen Peavey Classic 30s go for the used.. Though i have next to no experience with them. A tiny Terror would be great but you'd only really be able to afford the head, unless you go used.
Quote by okaykiddo
Hey man, since you live in Aus your shipping costs might not be too high and I think they fit your budget, so check out www.ceriatone.com I would have defintely gone this way if I hadn't got my JCM 900 so cheap.
Good luck dude!

It's not too late to sell...hell...if anything, you'd be making money.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
Quote by Karol1701
^ I'd say that if You want a Laney, buy VC not LC. For me it's far better. and great for RHCP

That all well and good, but I don't just play RHCP...I play a lot of different stuff (see main tone inspirations).

I'll try to find a cheap VC15 but probably wont happen.

So no one has any links to cheap JCM800's?

the muffin!
What is your price range? You can get a complete working chassis (no cab if you want to build your own) w/out tubes from www.ceriatone.com for about $600 USD. I've known people who just leave the chassis out and don't even use the cab. Hell, it gets better cooling that way anyways. Most people can't even distinguish the sound of a ceriatone over the original JCM800. I'm thinking about getting the matchless DC-30 clone myself.

I always see GuitarCenter having one or two JCM800 combos for less than $800 all the time.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
I can get pretty sweet RHCP tone from my VK.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Grrr, I'm getting so confused with this.

the muffin!
Quote by sebastian_96
Grrr, I'm getting so confused with this.

Is it the fact that there's a bunch of American's not paying attention to detail, or the fact that you can't make a decision on which amp to buy?
Both really.

I just need an affordable tube amp (that actually sounds half decent) and I'm getting so many suggestions all of which I can't find anything of...

Would an AC15/VC15 be good for my stuff? (I have pedals)...

I guess I could find a used one for fairly cheap?

the muffin!
I think the AC15 is a rather clean amp. I'd be looking more at the Laney.
Isn't the Laney a clone of the AC15?

the muffin!
Quote by Moe.
Is it the fact that there's a bunch of American's not paying attention to detail, or the fact that you can't make a decision on which amp to buy?

you do realize that Ceriatone is not based in America right? I'm sure that Nik would make it workable for someone in Australia, seeing as its not just US customers. Shipping would probably cheaper anyway (is Malaysia closer to AUS than US?)
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
That Ceriatone website just confused me even more

the muffin!
Quote by igotabcrich32
you do realize that Ceriatone is not based in America right? I'm sure that Nik would make it workable for someone in Australia, seeing as its not just US customers. Shipping would probably cheaper anyway (is Malaysia closer to AUS than US?)

The JCM800 on the Ceriatone site is around 750USD dollars though. (for the whole amp package, minus tubes.) That's what, 900AUD dollars? Then there's shipping, which might add to, let's say 200 dollars. Then there's the customs tax for bringing it into the country, 50 - 100 dollars. Then of course there's the need for tubes, 50 dollars. And a check up from a technician if needed due to the voltage difference.

That's around what, 1300 - 1350AUD dollars? Considering the thread starters budget is 500 - 700$ Aud, I wouldn't think that would be worth it.
Thanks Moe.
You seem to be the biggest help here.

So got any suggestions or websites with some used amps?

the muffin!
Quote by Moe.
Open mouth, insert foot.

Users who replied previous to the reply I just quoted:

andrew.tran - Australia
guitarist_with_ - Australia
stevo_epi_SG_wo - United Kingdom
b00m_ - Australia
demea - United States
The red Strat. - Belgium
okaykiddo - South Africa
Moe. - Australia
Karol1701 - Poland
nirvallica - Australia
omghi2u - United States
Kozlic - Slovenia

There were exactly TWO Americans who replied.
Calling two "a bunch" is a gross exaggeration.
Or perhaps in your haste to smear the reputation of Americans, you weren't paying attention to that detail.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^Someone clearly has too much time on their hands

I'd look for the Laney VC15 and possibly invest in an overdrive pedal at a later date for the modern rock tones
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
The VC 15 is a 15 watt version of the AC30. The AC-15 is a cleaner amp than the AC-30
Yeah... and I said earlier that VC15 is good for RHCP... it was just an example. I can have a pretty nice tone from it like Guns N Roses and all that more rockish stuff. So it's not just a good amp for RHCP.

SomeoneYouKnew - when I saw my name in Your post and Poland I was soooo proud of myself and my country... I don't know why but I was
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.

Well yeah, the cheapest way to go will be a VC-15...thanks for everyones help

the muffin!