I'm in the market for a new amp at the moment. I bought a Pro Junior but if you click my sig, you'll see why I'm getting rid of it.

So what I've ben looking for is a new amp and obviously there are a multitude of choices out there.

I must state from the start that I don't want another Blackheart: Aye, I had one and it was sublime but I really do need some extra bells and whistles I think, so unfortunately it is out of the race.

Basically, I want a nice valve combo between 5 and 22 watts (in case I find a Deluxe Reverb or 1974X on the cheap!). Some kind of master volume control would be great too for anything over 10 watts.Ideally, I would like an effects loop too. I would usually just play in the bedroom but bands play at the pub I work/live in sometimes and I enjoy a jam with them so it would need to be jammable. I try my hand at a lot of different music but I don't play metal so I don't need a high gain monster. The heaviest I go is probably The White Stripes or Black Sabbath, but generally I'm a mid gain, AC/DC, Rolling Stones type of guy. Voicing wise, I really don't mind if it is American or British voiced as most of my influences mixed and matched throughout their carreers, but I expect to end up pushing EL84's as it's usually an expensive Fender you're buying in the UK when it comes to American voiced amps, and the Hot Rods are definitley too loud for my needs! I would like the amp to really have some excellent vintage sounds, like nice jangly clean, with some nice gritty overdrive.

Anyway, don't think I haven't done any research, I do have some candidates!

*Fender Blues Junior - Hampered a bit by no effects loop though. I haven't played it but I can and will before I buy. It looks gorgeous too, but I hope it isn't just a Pro Junior with some added gizmos

*Vox AC15CC1 - What has to be said? Obviously it's a classic, I've still yet to play it but I can't see me not liking it. It lacks an effect loop, however, I do like the sound of an onboard tremolo. Also, I've heard this thing is insanely loud for 15 watts and I don't really want my ears to be bleeding when I rock out at home! This amp has been used by many of my favourite artists though so it's always been on the back burner!

*Laney VC-15 - A modern classic (provided it works!) So far, this is the winner, as it ticks all the right boxes, especially price, as I need/want a new guitar! I have played this before and I loved it, but I never got round to buying it as I had caught the Blackheart bug, and the local shops didn't stock it at the time. If it doesn't turn out to be reliable, then obviously I will return it and get something else so it's no big deal. Musically, I think this is right up my alley too. Having 2 channels is a godsend as I like using my Double Muff through a clean signal for a nice effect.

Out of the 15 watters, these are the main three I'm looking at but any other suggestions are welcome

On to the 5 watters, I could really stretch my budget (or sell my beloved LP Junior) and get the Laney Lionheart L5-T. It seems like such a great little amp, but can I justify buying it, considering my skill level? Also, at that price, the f*cking thing should be handwired! But it's PCB, albeit gold plated. How important is this anyway? I can find this for £500, is it worth it.

The only other lower wattage amp that tickles my fancy is a Cornford Harlequin, but only a used one. I missed out on one on eBay that went for £400. I know it's lacking in features that I'm looking for but dammit it's a Cornford!

These amps are at the top and probably a bit beyond my budget however, whih is why I haven't mentioned the Tiny Terror in any incarnation. I need a new guitar and driving lesons so these would only be luxury purchases. I should mention, budget wise, we're really talking about £400 MAX.

Sorry for so much text but that's too bad!

Thanks anyway!
tl;dr

laney if your UK and dont want to play metal
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
i think soundcontrol have the V series, theres one of them in scotland, isnt there?
Orange are releasing a tiny terror combo at some point soon, tho im unsure what price it will be
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Snapple
Orange are releasing a tiny terror combo at some point soon, tho im unsure what price it will be

£480 for the TT combo
a friend of mine has the blues jr. and ive pleyed it a bunch of times. its way to trebley for me and too thin sounding. but it is a fender so that is what they go for. personally, im an orange man, but the tiny terror might be too far out of your price range.
Quote by gallagher2006
This one time I went out at night and sexually assaulted 2 girls then murdered them and hid their bodies never to be found.

I pwned as a 7 year old
Not to mention the TT has no effects loop.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
VC15. I've read many reports of unreliability but my VC30 has been brilliant for me.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
i think soundcontrol have the V series, theres one of them in scotland, isnt there?

According to the website they only have the V-100 and cabinets.

And yes, they have Scottish stores as they are a Scottish company!

ALBA GU BRAGH!!!!

By the way, just ho important is an effects loop? I want to use chorus, delay and reverb especially, but I've heard that going straight into the amp sucks tone, and makes some effects different.
The TT isnt built with effects in mind, its a guitar > amp sorta deal and is excellent at what its made for, versatility not being one of those things.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Reverb pretty much must be in the FX Loop or it sounds really distorted, as does delay but to a lesser extent. I'd say it was very useful.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
oh and my vote goes to the laney VC15 ask in the laney thread, they spend all day talking crap but are a nice bunch if u ask about a laney.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by PendulousThread
oh and my vote goes to the laney VC15 ask in the laney thread, they spend all day talking crap but are a nice bunch if u ask about a laney.

tru dat
Quote by PendulousThread

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Get the Laney. I also got it last month... and I'm glad I did, it's absolutely perfect for my needs

I've just found that my love for Laney is growing day after day, since they make "wonderfulous" amps and are pretty cheap compared to other brands here en Europe (I got my new VC-15 for just 400 € )
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by PendulousThread

Assuming we're not stuck in an in-depth conversation about batcaves or megadrives, in which case we'll just ignore ya

I'd go for the Laney, but i really wanna know about the Vox personally....
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Well, the Vox is also an amazing amp, but it sounds somewhat different. In my experience, the Laney is capable of more gain than the Vox, so it would be better suited for his style.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
You forgot Traynor YCV20. If it wasn't because the fact that it is so difficult to find a used one even on craiglist, I would have prefer that one.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Quote by Jestersage
You forgot Traynor YCV20. If it wasn't because the fact that it is so difficult to find a used one even on craiglist, I would have prefer that one.

That Traynor is about £500 here i the UK and nowhere I can get to sells them anyway. I'm definitley thinking that the Laney is my best answer.

I'm most likely looking for a Telecaster or Strat when I get it too. What do you think would be the best model to bring out the best in both guitar and amp? I'm leaning more toward the Tele due to the bridge pickup which I love, but am open to all suggestions.

Thanks everyone!
Quote by greggybhoy
That Traynor is about £500 here i the UK and nowhere I can get to sells them anyway. I'm definitley thinking that the Laney is my best answer.

I'm most likely looking for a Telecaster or Strat when I get it too. What do you think would be the best model to bring out the best in both guitar and amp? I'm leaning more toward the Tele due to the bridge pickup which I love, but am open to all suggestions.

Thanks everyone!

Teleeee
Go for it
How much you looking to spend?
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by cmakkidguitar
Teleeee
Go for it
How much you looking to spend?

Well, if I get the Laney, it frees up more buget for guitar, and I think my limit wil be around the £400 mark. Going used isn't a problem either.

Tele wise, I'm interested in the Lite Ash, Baja, Highway One, Custom, Deluxe, and the good ol' MIM Standard and the Classic series.

Strat wise, basically the equivalent models where applicable, but also the Fat Strat.
Quote by greggybhoy
Well, if I get the Laney, it frees up more buget for guitar, and I think my limit wil be around the £400 mark. Going used isn't a problem either.

Tele wise, I'm interested in the Lite Ash, Baja, Highway One, Custom, Deluxe, and the good ol' MIM Standard and the Classic series.

Strat wise, basically the equivalent models where applicable, but also the Fat Strat.

Well, owning one, i can recommend the Deluxe but the humbuckers put a lot of people off
Other than that though, I think the highway 1, Baja and Lite ash are your best bets
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

The thing with the deluxe is that I'll have to go used cos it's quite pricey. The Custom might suit me more, but I've heard people say the bridge pickup on the custom doesn't sound like a traditional tele.

Reagrdless, I will be trying out whatever I buy.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Skip the VoxAC15CC. It's NOT a classic. Not if you're looking either the original AC15 tone, or the AC30 tone.

.......could you explain this for me? I've been considering getting one of those modern AC15s, but if that's the case, I've become more hesitant. What IS the tone, if it's not like the vintage Vox?
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
I would say get a palomino v32 or a peavey classic 30.

I just got my v32 today in the mail after I bought it on ebay, and I love it. It's got a very marshall-like distortion and a clean that's AMAZING for blues. It's a great amp for classic rock and blues rock, such as jimi hendrix, led zeppelin, black sabbath, the who, and ac/dc (ESPECIALLY ac/dc)

the palominos are being made overseas now, and supposedly are lesser quality, so try to find one used made in the US if you decide to buy the palomino (There are many used USA made models on ebay; I got mine from ebay and it's american made)

the v32's main competitor from what I understand is the peavey classic 30. Try them both out side by side in stores and get whichever one you like more. From what I hear, they are both equally as good, so it will just depend on your personal tastes as far as which one you want. I tried them both out and decided on the palomino.

Good luck
i like my blues jr...

for all these 15 watters, consider a speaker swap and a tube swap (i guess u have to) in the future.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I also <3 my Fender Blues Junior. Give it a little bit to break in the speaker and it sounds quite lovely. I have the tweed version with the upgraded speaker, so I can't speak on behalf of the normal one, but overall, I like it a lot.

Strat vs Tele is really just preference. They're both awesome, you couldn't go wrong with either. It just depends on what you like. Try them both out with the amp you choose and decide which you like best.

The reason people may not suggest the Vox AC15 is because many people think the newer reissues of the old AC15's don't sound very good at all. The way to get a better sound out of them would be to get the one with the Blue speakers, but those are around $1000. It's just not reasonable to get that sound that many people love from AC15's without paying at least 1 grand.

Maybe a Classic 30 is up your alley. It's a bit more wattage, and it's a very loud amp but the one I played was very nice. I liked it for different reasons than the Fender. The overdrive was very very nice and it had glassy cleans.

Just try a bunch out. You probably couldn't go wrong with a lot of the amps people have suggested. You just gotta try a bunch out and decide what you like the best.
Quote by Wulver
.......could you explain this for me? I've been considering getting one of those modern AC15s, but if that's the case, I've become more hesitant. What IS the tone, if it's not like the vintage Vox?

Well, the handwired ones, IMO, sound fantastic. I've seen a couple of artists live with them at intimate coffee shop gigs. I thought they sounded great!

The Custom Classic ones, AFAIK, aren't meant to be reissues of the original AC15, and don't really sound like the handwired version, to me. Haven't played one in a while.
Plus, a lot of people go to the AC15CC looking for a smaller AC30, which of course, is an erroneous move.
Mojave Coyote

I forget who here turned me on to these but, this is probably the absolute sh*t for low-volume recording. Variable from less than 1-Watt to 12-Watts. Expensive, at about $2,200 USD.

Mojave Coyote <1-12 Watt EL84 Tube Amp
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto