so I went from 10-52's to 10-49's and I'm getting alot of buzz on the top 2 strings.
Is there a simple neck adjusting process or some kind of guide that someone can send the link that will tell me how to adjust my guitar to get rid of this buzz.

and does this always happen when going to a lighter/heavier gauge?
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Yes, it usually does.

Since the thickness of the strings changes, the amount of tension you'd need to keep them in tune changes, and the neck bends.

You'd have to adjust the truss rod, which is a tricky process, and I would recommend going to a tech for this.
usually heavier strings will increase bend. and cure any minor buzzing, UNLESS you took off all the strings at once.

in that case the neck might have relaxed a little anyway.

have you tried raising the strings at the bridge a little first?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
ok well, I got one free set up on my guitar, so would this be considered as a set up?
sorry for being so noobish:S
Gear:
Line6 UX2
i wouldnt have said buttholes, but yeah, they'll adjust it for you.

tell them how you like ur action, and if you want to emphasize certain bass or treble tones more. (they should adjust ur pups too)

they should also make sure it's in tune along the board.

things like that. they can reuse ur strings since they are new.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

awsome, thanks for the advice so far guys, its really helped, but I still have a couple more questions.

If i try doing any of this myself, is there a chance of ruining my guitar beyond repair? and if I choose to go even lighter, say 10-46 will it be harder to set up my guitar?
Gear:
Line6 UX2
well no, it's actually pretty simple. just try raising the strings a little.

tiny allen wrench. two pegs on the front face of each saddle. lower them to raise each string.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok so either way my actions gonna have to be raised
ohh and if could I take it into the shop with no strings on and then just tell them to set it up for _________ strings?
Gear:
Line6 UX2
Last edited by mrxtreme_4 at Apr 10, 2008,
no, dont take the strings off, itll be even harder to set it up.

and no. action doesnt need to be raised either way. if you want the buzzing to stop, first you can raise the action of the buzzing strings a little, and if that doesnt work then you can try other things.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

alright thanks jj!
so for now I'm gonna see which gauge of strings I really like before I use my one free set up.
Gear:
Line6 UX2
ok cool, makes sense

repost wt questions
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62