Hi folks.

I have a Framus Diablo Custom guitar with Swamp Ash body and Maple top, and the following Seymour Duncan PUs: (Hot Rails:Neck, SSL-1:Middle, STB-4 Jeff Beck: Bridge)

Looking at various reviews of the guitar, I read several complaining about the Seymour PUs, esp that the Jeff Beck is a bit harsh - and I also wasn't completely satisfied with the Hot Rails with distortion - it tended to sound hollow/glassy - not very bluesy...

Now with my Engl Classic Combo and Digitech 2112 I got a very, very good distortion sound with the bridge pickup - but I thought "maybe I can do even better"..

So I delieved the guitar to a guitar rep (don't have the time to bother learn change PUs etc right now). He immediately said that he thought SD was superior to dM, dM using cheaper electronics and sounding more "screamy".
After having put in Tone Zone (bridge), True velvet and pro track (neck) I have to concur.
Although on paper they should sound warmer (freq chart), through my equipment they actually sound harsher and more "icepicky".
Am I imagining things here or does other also have the same experience?

I'll never get diMarzios again. These were supposed to be the most "fullest" and warmest sounding PU AFAIK, and they were inferior to OK Seymour Duncan PUs.
I just wasted several hundred bucks on nothing...oh well..

Does anyone know if the PUs that originally came with the guitar are the optimal ones?
I generally prefer a warm, smooth and full sounding distortion, and also a nice jazzy-sounding neck-pickup for standard jazz playing.

Thanks!
Maybe it's the wood of your guitar.
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-1000 w/ EMGs
Ibanez S470DX w/ Duncan JB & 59'
Schecter C-1+
Peavey 5150 Combo
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD-808
MXR 10 band eq

WTB:
-Delay Pedal, 2 Veteran 30 Speakers, Duncan Blackouts set, Reverb Pedal
I'm not sure you really did much for yourself swapping the Jeff Beck with a TZ, to be fair, but most DiMarzios tend to be punchier, in my experience. Though I have an Air Norton at the neck combined with an Evo at the bridge and when I've got them combined I generally get a nice warm smooth distortion. For a jazzy sound at the neck, you might want to rethink though. But you can probably resell those DiMarzios on eBay for at least a little return.
You should have got a Breed.

I dont really like the Jb, I find it is to trebly.
man go with EMGs personaly i think thay have best tone, they best for metal and hard rock but if u have an amp with some good settings you can get a jazzy sound
Well, of course you had a bad experience. You bought a Tone Zone. That was a mistake...

As for "optimal pickups" for you guitar...It always depends on what you're looking for. Unfortunately, you have a SSH guitar, as I'd recommend a humbucker (full-sized, so there's more options), if you want to play Jazz. Jazz tends to demand very warm tone, and single coils can often be too spanky.

BTW, your guitar tech is a moron, spreading uninformed propaganda. Dimarzio is just as much of a quality mid-level pickup company as Duncan. "Inferior" electronics - sheesh!
The JB IS harsh and trebly, that's what it was designed to be like.

You can't base an opinion on an entire product range from one specific model - you bought completely the wrong Dimarzio. In fact the tone zone is probably the closest model to the JB, it's got more low end but it's pretty much all upper mids, it's designed to cut through for solos. It's the high output and focused tone make it sound somewhat dry and brittle, whilst the clarity and responsiveness mean you really have to work for your tone. It's not as brutal as an Evo but it's still a pretty unforgiving pickup. I certainly wouldn't call it warm by any stretch of the imagination...bassy yes, but not warm.

Based on what you've said you should have got the Breed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Interesting comments!

I know I made a rather "black/white" statement regarding dimarzio vs. duncans, quite frankly I was very disappointed after having listened to the guitar with the new pickups. There's a lot of ignorants and 14-year olds on the net who talk like their seasoned experts, so you're almost bound to be misinformed when trying to find information. Obviously tone zone was a miss...
I've used this forum before, and it seems more credible than say... harmonycentral..

Anyway I got the impression that the Tone Zone had a lot of bass and mids, to get a very full tone. I hear mostly lots of harsh mids. Actaully the JB had more bass and sounded much smoother. After hearing Tone Zone in my guitar, I wouldn't call it "harsh" or "trebly" at all.
Actually it sounded very good, but I thought I could get something even better.. oh well..

I actually think I'll keep Pro Track, it certainly didn't blow me away - but it sounded a bit more "balanced" than the hot rails. It certainly isn't an ideal jazz PU, but not bad..

Do you have any good advice for a jazzy neck pickup? I'm gonna keep the pro track and put the other Duncans back in. The guitar sounds excellent clean with duncan PUs though, that has to be said...

Really apprecaite the comments and help. I'm rather new to this changing pickup stuff, but I have pretty strong ideas about what I like and don't like.
Last edited by steinar29 at Apr 10, 2008,
Quote by steinar29
I know I made a rather "black/white" statement regarding dimarzio vs. duncans, quite frankly I was very disappointed after having listened to the guitar with the new pickups. There's a lot of ignorants and 14-year olds on the net who talk like their seasoned experts, so you're almost bound to be misinformed when trying to find information. Obviously tone zone was a miss...

My comment was mostly just an explosion from a bunch of comments in other threads over the last couple of months.

I'm going to support the Breed in the bridge, and I don't have much experience with single coil sized humbuckers, much less, ones that sound good for jazz, so T can't help ya there.
I find the JB in my Dinky a bit bright and I've read several reports here that the ToneZone is good for guitars with an Alder body. However, JB's get consistantly rated higher than ToneZones, go figure. In my case I think I'm going to stick with the JB's and buy an EQ pedal in the future.
Having read some reviews about the breed, it sounds like the best dimarzio alternative for me (= biggest sound).
Tone Zone was really bad...it did the opposite of what I thought it would do.

But what do you guys think about the Pro Track?
Thanks!
Last edited by steinar29 at Apr 10, 2008,
Quote by rhettro
I find the JB in my Dinky a bit bright and I've read several reports here that the ToneZone is good for guitars with an Alder body. However, JB's get consistantly rated higher than ToneZones, go figure. In my case I think I'm going to stick with the JB's and buy an EQ pedal in the future.

Consider putting in a 250K pot for one of your potentiometers.
Ok, just delievered the guitar again to the rep (this was a huge waste of time and money).
Quite frankly I'm gonna be hesitant to buy another diMarzio. All the three PUs had a thinner sound than the duncans, but yeah..I'll probably try the breed..sometime.

I did decide to keep the pro track, although it had a thinner sound than the respective duncan (hot rails), it had a more laidback, balanced sound to it. The attack seem less "compressed" and more even bass-response between the high and low strings.
Have you tried raising the pickup height at all?

And don't Dimarzio have a good "return" policy? Look into it.
Pickup height was optimal. I've heard about the return policy. I will look into it!
thanks.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Have you tried raising the pickup height at all?

And don't Dimarzio have a good "return" policy? Look into it.

yes they do! just call them up and you can switch pickups for the same list price for free, or pay the difference for something higher
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus