I was set on getting the windsor, but I'm unsure of its sound. I've heard clips but it sounds really thin, and I hear it's muddy, and doesn't respond to guitar volume or playing (so I can decrease gain via volume control), and in general I hear bad things about it, and its very loud, and I may be unable to play it at its peak.

The Kustom defender seem interesting, a 50W tube combo, so it should generally be less loud then the windsor, it sounds quite nice and can do clean, mid-gain and high gain quite well (from what I heard from a sound clip), plus I could always get a pedal. And it's £70 cheaper .

I enjoy playing mid-gain to high-gain-ish stuff (not too high, think Iron Maiden), and lead playing thats crunchy and quite thick, not thin, using my neck pickup, but the amp should be able to go clean easily with a small turn of the volume knob.

In my opinion, the kustom defender seems better off, as it seems able to do the mid gain crunchy stuff better, and can clean up, and has a nicer high gain sound.

But, I'd thought I'd come here and make sure I've made a right choice.

So, Peavey Windsor or Kustom Defender.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Apr 10, 2008,
Sure, that kustom looks nice.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
OK, thanks.
It does seem like a really nice amp, I look forward to getting one .
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I have a Kustom amp and am really happy with it. Mines only the 36 watt coupe. But the defender does have some nice features. Most people never get the chance to crank a windsor. But I get to crank my Kustom quite a bit.