Page 1 of 4
Some of you may remember the thread i made about a faulty vox da5 of mine, which i can't get a replacement for. so I am trying to screw it up so i can get a new one that properly works with my warranty, but I can't break the damn thing !
i tried:
°beating the **** out of the control panel
°disconnecting the speaker and cranking it
°pouring water over the control panel and into the input
°hanging all sorts of metal plates and boxes and stuff against the speaker's magnet

and it still ****ing works fine !

how the hell can i break this thing ? (in a way that i can still use my warranty off course)
Play a bass guitar, into an overdrive pedal that's cranked, into the amp, while the speaker cables are all disconnected, at a high volume. Preferably in a bath.

Doing it all at once should work, whereas you were doing it individually.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
why dont you open it up and break a couple of wires inside, but not a clean cut, something that ppl wont notice if its inspected?
Quote by Simsimius
Play a bass guitar, into an overdrive pedal that's cranked, into the amp, while the speaker cables are all disconnected, at a high volume. Preferably in a bath.

Doing it all at once should work, whereas you were doing it individually.

+1
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
They won't let you use your warranty for user inflicted damage. That said, it's always entertaining to throw something out a two or three story window on concrete.
^ I think he's trying to break it purposely but in a way that is not obvious so he can get another amp.

Did you pour water in while it was on? If not, you need more.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Try pouring some Coke on the control panel. It'll probably be sticky afterward, so clean it up.
Quote by CJRocker
They won't let you use your warranty for user inflicted damage. That said, it's always entertaining to throw something out a two or three story window on concrete.

not if they can't see it
Quote by MrCarrot
^ I think he's trying to break it purposely but in a way that is not obvious so he can get another amp.

Did you pour water in while it was on? If not, you need more.

indeed.

i used quite alot.....
Get you a high voltage power adapter like 28v's solder it to a 1/4 input and plug it into the guitar input... then turn up the volume and watch her go... That should be enough to smoke that thing.. It should overload everything in there..
Quote by fender&gibson
indeed.

i used quite alot.....
Try salty water then, and make sure it enters the chassis. Water isn't actually particularly conductive, it's the internal ions that are, so salty water should definitely add a lot more conductivity.
Quote by MrCarrot
Try salty water then, and make sure it enters the chassis. Water isn't actually particularly conductive, it's the internal ions that are, so salty water should definitely add a lot more conductivity.

OK.

is it good if i pour the water over the solderings on the pcb on the bottom to ?
Probably... keep in mind i'm more of a person for keeping things together rather than breaking them. xD

Also, on your own head be all this!

But yes. If you can drown it it will all short out, probably.
Quote by MrCarrot
Probably... keep in mind i'm more of a person for keeping things together rather than breaking them. xD

Also, on your own head be all this!

But yes. If you can drown it it will all short out, probably.

hehe

what does that mean ?

alrighty then.
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
Would pressing metal against the PCB not do anything, Carrot?

it does apparently. i rubbed it back and forth a few times and i saw 2 large sparks.
let's see if this bugger is still working....
Use soda or pop (whatever you call it) instead of water. You're going to have to drench it in water and leave it on before it does much damage. My brother dropped his cell phone into a glass of Coke, which I'm still not sure how he managed to do that, but his phone was shot after that. It would turn on, but it would turn right off or freeze up and turn off. Make sure you clean it up if the outside gets sticky.
Quote by fender&gibson
it does apparently. i rubbed it back and forth a few times and i saw 2 large sparks.
let's see if this bugger is still working....

I'd guess those sparks were it shorting out...
Find someone with a high wattage head and plug it into the input. That should work real nicely. I did that using a crate powerblock through a Spider II and it completely fried the thing.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
Would pressing metal against the PCB not do anything, Carrot?
Probably, but if he really wants to go with warranty then it'd be a good idea not to damage any screws at all...
Quote by MrCarrot
Probably, but if he really wants to go with warranty then it'd be a good idea not to damage any screws at all...

Well, they can usually tell when somethings been water damaged. And most companies exclude water damaged products from the warranty...
Quote by Guitarmiester
Use soda or pop (whatever you call it) instead of water. You're going to have to drench it in water and leave it on before it does much damage. My brother dropped his cell phone into a glass of Coke, which I'm still not sure how he managed to do that, but his phone was shot after that. It would turn on, but it would turn right off or freeze up and turn off. Make sure you clean it up if the outside gets sticky.

i'm quite positive they will be able to tell i used soda if i do...

the damn thing is still working after those sparks !

Quote by mafropetee
Find someone with a high wattage head and plug it into the input. That should work real nicely. I did that using a crate powerblock through a Spider II and it completely fried the thing.

aha. I have a fender hot rod 410. can I use the preamp out into the vox to fry it ?
Quote by fender&gibson
i'm quite positive they will be able to tell i used soda if i do...

the damn thing is still working after those sparks !

MOAR

Edit: Hold them on for a while...
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
Well, they can usually tell when somethings been water damaged. And most companies exclude water damaged products from the warranty...
Aha, I see...

Might be feasible then to plug into a hugely overpowered adaptor and blag it as a power spike or something? I forgot the DA5 ran on rather low voltage, that'd make it far harder to fry by shorting it, yeah go with the big PSU.
Quote by MrCarrot
Aha, I see...

Might be feasible then to plug into a hugely overpowered adaptor and blag it as a power spike or something? I forgot the DA5 ran on rather low voltage, that'd make it far harder to fry by shorting it, yeah go with the big PSU.

If you're going to do this, remove the fuses out of the amp first. (if it has any)
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
If you're going to do this, remove the fuses out of the amp first. (if it has any)
Wouldn't the fuses removed just make it not die?
Quote by MrCarrot
Wouldn't the fuses removed just make it not die?

Well fuses are there to stop the device from being damaged...
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
Well fuses are there to stop the device from being damaged...
And they also conduct electricity... No fuse = no conduction = it doesn't work. That's how they work? Unless you jumper the fuse holder or use a hugely overrated one.
Quote by MrCarrot
And they also conduct electricity... No fuse = no conduction = it doesn't work. That's how they work? Unless you jumper the fuse holder or use a hugely overrated one.

Yeah... Didn't think that through.

No fuse = no power.

NEW PLAN

Bigger fuse first.
What i find funny is if the amp was/is faulty you could have sent it back to vox via the vendor you bought it from for an in warrantee repair. If you really have done anything suggested here you have voided your warrantee and will have to pay get a repair...Vox will notice the additional user damage too.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
What i find funny is if the amp was/is faulty you could have sent it back to vox via the vendor you bought it from for an in warrantee repair. If you really have done anything suggested here you have voided your warrantee and will have to pay get a repair...Vox will notice the additional user damage too.

He didn't seem to pick up on that in his previous thread. I still don't really know what the original problem was, probably wasn't anything worth purposely trying to damage the amp.
I think he just doesn't like the amp. o.O
I think I remember him saying he was getting volume fluctuations and the store wouldn't exchange it since they weren't experiencing the problem. That left me to believe he has a faulty cable, but I guess that concept didn't go through either.
if its already faulty, cant you use the warranty?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by timi_hendrix
Connect a pair of wires to a 9V battery and prod the speaker with it a lot.
That damages it? o.O

Haha, I've only done that on my broken AC30 speakers to see what it did. Just makes a ''thump" noise when you make contact.
Quote by MrCarrot
That damages it? o.O

Haha, I've only done that on my broken AC30 speakers to see what it did. Just makes a ''thump" noise when you make contact.

Probably not, but the thump is funny, and they pop inwards or outwards sometimes.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Page 1 of 4