This is directed to Propagandhi fans out there

The song "Rock For Sustainable Capitalism" is apparentely directed at Fat Mike of NOFX
and with lyrics such as

"When did punk rock become so safe, well you'll excuse me if i laugh in your face
as I itemize your receipts and PowerPoint your balance sheets"

and...

"where by mere chance he's caught on film shaking hands
with an incredibly diverse collection of patriotic skins.
I like the message it sends"

That does seem the case

but i dont understand

Propagandhi are on Fat Mikes record label and apparentely good friends with him, so for one why would Fat Mike let them release this song on his record label, and why would they write it in the first place?

The opening line of the song makes me think its not about Fat Mike tho

"I ****in' love that one rock video where
that ****ing jack-ass mohawked millionaire
prances around by far the worst sausage party on earth"

As Fat Mike doesnt and has never had a mohawk

Can someone clear this up for me

oh and dont tell me to go to the pop punk forum
as NOFX and Propagandhi are both amazing punk bands, who yes, do use nice melodies in their songs, that doesnt make them un-punk

NOFX have been doing it the right way for years

Im sorry i dont have the frame of mind were the best bands of all time are the UK Subs and The Exploited =]
We had a thread on this like...5 days ago

Also, nice generalisation of the punk forum in the last sentence. We're way more awesome than that.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
the exploited?! I think a lot of here think the exploited suck...so...
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Well then a lot of people have good taste
It was just directed at the sort of people who live in the 70's/80's and cant appreciate any other music
I highly doubt that Fat mike NEVER had a mohawk.

He must have had just a little one for a while.

Hell, even I had a mohawk for 6 weeks!
I like music in the 70s and 80s, just not the UK Subs or especially The Exploited. Street punk stuff sucks imo.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
I do not like NOFX.
I don't hate Propaghandi.
I hate the exploited, and most street punk in general.

However, Propaghandi can release whatever song they want to on their albums, they're on Fat Wreck, it's not like they're on Hellcat or something.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

pix pls?
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I highly doubt that Fat mike NEVER had a mohawk.

He must have had just a little one for a while.

I've never had one. They look stupid.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by original=punk
Superblob, you sig is so metal.

You're like...2 months too late for that joke
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by Ska Wars
pix pls?

+1
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
I don't know much about this.

All I know is I think Propagandhi are pretty cool, I hate the exploited, but I'm admittedly not a NOFX fan at all.
Quote by original=punk
However, Propaghandi can release whatever song they want to on their albums, they're on Fat Wreck, it's not like they're on Hellcat or something.

I remember reading on here before (I think johnnynemo might have said it) that Propaghandi refused to contribute to Rock Against Bush, something about the person who helped fund it or something. As the song is titled "Rock For...", I would infer that it is somehow related to that whole incident.

I've never listened to Propaghandi though, so I can't say anything for certain. I've been meaning to check them out, but always forget.
I loved the song and did the research more than a year ago

Basically here it goes:

NOFX: seperation from church and skate

Question " When did punk rock become so safe?" It was a part of the lyric.

Propagandhi:Rock for sustainable capitalism

" "When did punk rock become so safe?" Excuse me if I laugh in your face. Itemize your receipts and power point your balance sheets"

And look at this harsh attack. read the little quote next to fat mike and John kerry pic (which was chosen to highlight Punkvoter's aim)

NOFX: One celled creature:

this song is directed at chris hannah

"[Melvin]
Life on a mattress in a room-
in a room full of emptiness

The above is a reference to a picture in the cd booklet of propagandhi:

The problem is that chris hannah is joking and playing a fictional character called glen lambert. An idiot. So it must be a joke, or Nofx was on the buttend of the joke.

Glen lambert would take pictures with his fake rifle in a robe in his home.

[Fat Mike]
Knowledge has much better uses
than self-pity and superiority

It's a reference to the rock for sustainbale capitalism lyrics and his posts online

[Melvin]
Maybe you are or could be the next
Hoffman, Mahatma, or Chomsky,
But no one will ever know.

[Fat Mike]
Are you saying that music can't have a positive influence on society?

[Melvin]
Not with ****ty melodies it won't

The sum of your parts
are not gonna change any hearts,
not with hate in your eyes.

[Fat Mike]
In order to lead by example
you have to show
a path to a better world,
not a cell"
Please note that you shouldn't take it seriously and that they're friends.

It's punk rock.. you're meant to be cool like that.
Quote by neidnarb11890

I remember reading on here before (I think johnnynemo might have said it) that Propaghandi refused to contribute to Rock Against Bush, something about the person who helped fund it or something. As the song is titled "Rock For...", I would infer that it is somehow related to that whole incident.

I've never listened to Propaghandi though, so I can't say anything for certain. I've been meaning to check them out, but always forget.

I thought it was joke against Rock Against Communism.
ive already posted this once but.......

it was all over a song being dropped from the "Rock Against Bush" compilation, not because of the lyrics, but because of the liner notes which took a swipe against the cash cow, George Soros, a billionaire with a very shady past whose only goal in life now is to oust Bush.

"Okay, so this is really not the message that I am trying to convey because I believe that Democrats are a bit better than Republicans, and I think that Bush is ****ing the world worse than anyone possibly could. But, I still want the song on the comp. So we get the liner notes from the band and at the end it says, "This message was not brought to you by George Soros". This is where the problem starts. George Soros is a Billionaire who got his money from exploiting the foreign currency exchange. He screwed a bunch of countries to make his money. It is also important to note that he is also a member of the Carlyle Group, which is a company that makes money from selling weapons. Okay, that sucks. Meanwhile he has been giving close to 500 million dollars annually to progressive causes and has founded a network of philanthropic organizations in over 50 nations throughout the planet. He is spending a good part of his fortune trying to get Bush out of office. Maybe he feels guilty or something, I don't know. The point is that he has given money not to us, but to many great organizations such as Moveon.org and America Coming Together, and these organizations help support us. I didn't want an anti-Soros message on the first Rock Against Bush comp, because I don't want to make enemies within our movement. I am trying to unite people not alienate them from each other. So I asked Chris from Propagandhi if he wouldn't mind taking that last Soros comment out of their liner notes. He said he wouldn't take anything out. I said okay, then asked if they would mind being on the Rock Against Bush vol. 2 comp instead of the first one, which will be coming out 3 months after the first one." - FAT MIKE

http://www.brendastardom.com/arch.asp?ArchID=387
yeah after reading up on this band, I assume that everything they do is a joke
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Taking NOFX or Propaghandi seriously tends to lead to a bunch of logical fallacies and an overall loss of any sense of direction.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
I don't get the Propaghandi hate, other than being on Fat Wreck. They're a good band.
Thanks a lot Fuzzybear
That cleared things up quite a bit

I had heard it had something to do with Rock Against Bush

and yeah, Propagandhi probably are joking, it is all they do
That Bukowski quote is epic.

Bukowski almost makes me want to drink beer 24 hours a day and have sex with slutty unatractive women because I just assume it will make me as awesome and wise as he was.
Quote by sargasm
I don't get the Propaghandi hate, other than being on Fat Wreck. They're a good band.

If you're going to take the time to argue with/fake argue with NOFX, I don't really know how serious anyone can take you.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by sargasm

I don´t dislike them because they are on FatWreck.....they just make ****ty music.....I once tried to listen to them again, there where some breaks etc. after which I though it´s good, but 3 good seconds in a 3 minute song are not enough, because the rest is ****