I'm sick of those bloody useless bent metal string trees you get on old-style Fender headstocks - they cause no end of tuning problems on the E and B, and are a common source of string breakage. At the moment I alleviate the problem by smearing them with a mixture of vaseline and graphite powder.

But my question is, could a Floyd Rose-style string retainer bar across all the strings be more effective? I've never seen one used on a Tele but there's plenty of space, and the concept seems sound enough to me...any thoughts?
well if you think about it, its just a string retainer, it'll probably stabilise the tuning better than those horrible stock fender string trees
Haha, seems to be working very well. No string slippage on the top strings and seems to have reduced the string tension, which is something that's been bugging me for a while.

So any Tele or Strat owners having tuning trouble, well worth a try if you're reluctant to spend £7 on a little piece of graphite covered metal, and happen to have an old locking trem equipped guitar lying around.
pics?
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
That's a very good idea. I'll have to keep that in mind when I get a tele.
RIP Terry Kath (1978)