Written things like this are boring and hard to follow after 10 minutes. I need decent, informative videos or websites with a fun layout.

I really want to learn theory, because I'll have to to take music as a GCSE as a self taught guitarist.

I heard that the people in 'Musician talk' really know their stuff, so please help me.

Luke (:
At the top of this page there are a series of links, one of which says "lessons". If you click on it, it will take you to the lessons area of this site, where you will find quite a lot of theory lessons, most of which are much shorter and easier to understand than that link you posted. Just pick a lesson that looks interesting and go from there.
The main thing is that you need to understand that you won't be able to comprehend it all instantly. It takes time. I've been learning music theory since 6th grade (in choir, though, not band. I wish I was in the orchestra or something...) and I'm still learning new things.

If you want to learn it quickly, just keep reading and re-reading it, while doing whatever you can to apply it to your guitar. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions here if something is bugging you, but make sure that you ask specific ones, since really general questions will get really general answers, and chances are that those answers wouldn't help very much.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Well that page look like a pretty ****ing good read if you want to learn theory, you propably wont be able to find anything better around.
Quote by 05t16
Written things like this are boring and hard to follow after 10 minutes. I need decent, informative videos or websites with a fun layout.

I really want to learn theory, because I'll have to to take music as a GCSE as a self taught guitarist.

I heard that the people in 'Musician talk' really know their stuff, so please help me.

Luke (:

Tough titty I'm afraid.

Theory is something you have to learn , and that means some old-fashioned studying. Videos and websites aren't going to help that much because no matter how somebody presents the information you still need to spend significant time assimilating it...just because somebody's made it more interesting won't make you learn it any quicker.

Read the Crusade articles in the columns section, they should help, but there's no getting away from the fact that the process of learning theory is kind of boring, however the discoveries you personally make along the way as everything falls into place make it more than worthwhile. However, until you start to understand it then yes, it's going to be boring.

If you honestly can't even spend 10 minutes on a subject then arguably you're not that interested in it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by dividedsky
Also working with a real live person who knows there stuff really helps. It's how I learned theory! It takes time to understand stuff, but you'll (probably) get it eventually.

+1

studying with someone will really help. if you can take a class that would great as well.

the thing is when you look at something like that page that was linked.......you have to keep in mind that the author learned that stuff over years, but is presenting it all on 1 page. its overwhelming, and hard to understand to anyone that doesnt already understand it. You will understand it alot more if you take a structured approach as in a class or private lessons. Take it 1 step at a time, and build on what you learn. youll probably enjoy it more that way, and may not find it to be so "boring".
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 10, 2008,