I sent my guitar in today to get a pro set up and string change. Went with a slightly heavier string gauge with 12-56. I used to a 9-42. I think the 12s are used for Drop B tuning, whereas I play Drop D. Should be fun! =D

Is this a crazy change?
It will probably take you some time before you get used to it, but other than that I don't think it's anything.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
^^^ he got it professionally set up so i dont think that will be a problem...
MY GEAR!
Fender Starcaster
Epiphone SG Custom Shop LE
Vox AD15VT
Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell

Kirk Hammett = my half filipino metal idol :P
slightly heavier? lol

anyways, there's a chance they won't even fit with your nut. going that low you may as well just grab yourself a baritone.
i used to play my strat in standard with that gauge, my fingers payed with blood for my noobality
Ibanez RG1570
Randall RG75G3
EHX Metal Muff
^^ like he said above.. the nut was probably filed to get those strings to fit. If not, the strings will rub away at the nut until they fit properly. That means you can't go back to 9's unless you buy a new nut.

The fact that it was professionally set up isn't going to stop the massive tension of those high gauge strings pulling the headstock towards the body.. meaning you're going to have to adjust your trust rod on a weekly basis to keep your neck straight.
I play with 13's,tuning stabilty is great and they don't hurt your fingers...
Epi Lp Custom-->Ernie Ball VPJR-->Visual Sound Jekyll And Hyde-->Boss TU-2-->Boss Tr-2-->ISP Decimator-->Dan-Electro Reel Echo-->MXR Micro Amp-->Laney VC-30 2x10

The Cubists
Quote by p2fyre
your neck will warp. bad mistake

I don't know why all of you dumbasses think this. IT DOES NOT WARP YOUR NECK. Why the hell would they make strings that would screw up your guitar? Think they would have a large market?

I went from what he was at up to a 60 and my neck didn't even move. Its a load of crap.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
they don't warp it if they're used in open B or a lower tuning. Using those string in drop D is too much tension on the neck.

Jesus, dont you know anything?!!?!
Obviously you know nothing because I played the 60s in D standard and my guitar is perfectly fine. That or your guitar is a piece of ****.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
switching from 9's to 12's is definantly gonna take a few days for your fingers to adjust to the tension of the string for sure. But after you get over that you should be good if you like it.
Quote by p2fyre
they don't warp it if they're used in open B or a lower tuning. Using those string in drop D is too much tension on the neck.

It depends on the neck, really. If it's a one- piece neck, it's probably going to warp a bit, but nothing that can't be fixed by a quick truss rod adjustment. If it's a multi- piece neck, it's quite possible that nothing will happen.
Quote by p2fyre

No it's not too much tension. It's called a truss rod ya silly.

Geez, don't ya know anything?!

The neck will take some time to adjust though. Keep an eye on the bow of the neck.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
9-42 in E standard has the same tension as 12-52 in B standard.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Tarzan_man
I've a gig the next day.

Yay for short deadlines!

Out of interest, were you going for thicker strings for the better tone in the low end? Cause really, two steps thicker would've worked a charm already. This might seriously be overkill...
^ Yeah pretty much. The guy recording with said it's the business with thicker strings. TWO STEPS? Nien. Overkill is my style. Considered 14-80. But that just seems silly :P
Quote by Tarzan_man
^ Yeah pretty much. The guy recording with said it's the business with thicker strings. TWO STEPS? Nien. Overkill is my style. Considered 14-80. But that just seems silly :P

Ok, well I'm sure the tech will tell you all about it though.

You're playing it in standard?
Quote by Tarzan_man
Drop D ^

Yeah, that's basically the same... well, Tarzan Man, you're gonna be thankful for swinging around trees all your life, you'll need the finger strength!

Harhar.
Is a 12 gauge set of stings tougher on electric than acoustic? I use them always on my acoustic without bother
Damien Rice === Legend