i have recently become a pink floyd/david gilmour fanatic ive grown obsessed with their music, and i fricken love em.
now, i really like Gilmours tone while he solos, and iv eread he uses EMG single coil pickups.
now, on my main guitar(fender strat) i was thinking maybe to get a set and put em on there to get closer to his sound. good idea? you tell me

thanks for any replies
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

They're probably good, but I don't think he actually uses them anymore. Apparently, he only had them because they cut out some of the buzz produced by the ridiculous amounts of lights he used to have around him live.
Quote by webbtje
They're probably good, but I don't think he actually uses them anymore. Apparently, he only had them because they cut out some of the buzz produced by the ridiculous amounts of lights he used to have around him live.

lol wow i didnt know that.
is there anything else i can do to get closer to his sound with any sort of equipment?
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

They have a really full sound and very little noise (he installed them because of the imense amounts of lights & electronics he used as previously stated)

http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Guitar&categoryid=11&catalogid=56

They are (in england) £200 a set though
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Joey-Tribiani
lol wow i didnt know that.
is there anything else i can do to get closer to his sound with any sort of equipment?

He said you could get close to his sound with Boss pedals...

also check Gilmourish
Amp/Effects:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Tc-Electronic G-system
Line6 DM4

Guitars:

EBMM JP6 BFR
EBMM JP7
Taylor 314ce
Lace Sensors work quite well for Gilmour though for other styles it's hit-and-miss, I'd suggest you use one in conjunction with two traditional singlecoils for a wide range of tones.

But yeah as _Marooned_ (who I'd guess is a Gilmour fan from the name alone...) suggested, if Gilmourish can't help, no-one can.
Gilmour currently uses, I think, the original passive pickups in his Black Strat, aside from the bridge pickup, which I think is a Seymour Duncan of some sort.

The EMGs will get you one sound, really: the Momentary Lapse of Reason/Division Bell sound, plus Delicate Sound of Thunder and PULSE. They're not going to work for the rest of it, or at least, not as good as they could.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Do you like the Pulse guitar sound? If so, buy them! You won't be getting the 70s tones, but you'll be able to nail the Pulse Shine On tone.
Hey, I'm Mike.
i had them on my Strat - the best cleans of any pups - bar none!

OD is very modern, thick, sorta buzzy - very very high output pups, too much for me - but if you are into any Floyd, get them - for a good price

guy from the Aussie P.F tribute has them - sound amazing
Best example I can give for the difference is the recent Remember That Night DVD. Compare any track he uses his Black Strat on to SOYCD, where he uses his red Strat. it's a noticeable difference.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay