which better to use (in mono terms) 4 or 16 oms?

just incase, i have a b-52 at-100 and a marshall 1960s cab, england i think.
www.myspace.com/wearedraind
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
ESP LTD EX-400BD (two of them)
Peavey 5150
Mesa 4x12 Straightback Slant cab loaded with v30's
using different ohmage is not "better"....you need to use the CORRECT ohmage. how many ohms is your cabinet? or...how many ohms is each speaker, and is it wired is series or parallel?
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
its parallel. my head can switch between 4 8 and 16. my cab can go from 4 and 16 mono to 8 stereo
www.myspace.com/wearedraind
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
ESP LTD EX-400BD (two of them)
Peavey 5150
Mesa 4x12 Straightback Slant cab loaded with v30's
then you run it at 4, simple as that.
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
I'd run it at 16 personally...

why though? not challenging you haha just curious
Quote by evening_crow
i am wondering this too. when you can choose between 4 or 16 ohms does it matter which one you choose?
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by htsktim91989
why though? not challenging you haha just curious

Well, it's only a tiny amount, but think about the resistance in the cable... It probably wouldn't be noticeable if I'm being honest but I'd use 16 anyway.

yeah im sure thered be no noticeable difference, just wanted to know you're reasoning! to get off track though, im glad i said im not challenging you, because have you noticed that when you ask someone "why do you do that instead of this" it usually results in a giant argument, when i was really just curious haha
Quote by evening_crow
Quote by htsktim91989
yeah im sure thered be no noticeable difference, just wanted to know you're reasoning! to get off track though, im glad i said im not challenging you, because have you noticed that when you ask someone "why do you do that instead of this" it usually results in a giant argument, when i was really just curious haha

Meh, I've no problem with curious people anyway... I'd have answered the same if you didn't say you weren't challenging me...
i enjoy people like you.
Quote by evening_crow
Quote by htsktim91989
then you run it at 4, simple as that.

I have a 100watt JCM 900, cept I've taken out one of the fuses to run it at 50 watt. I was running my cab at 16 ohms but I read somewhere that I should lower the head since I've halved my wattage, so now I'm running the head at 8 and cab at 16? Is this right or wrong? Sorry if I sound like a complete n00b.
Thanks.
Gear Now:
Epiphone G400
JCM 900 4100
1960a cab
SD - 1

Next:
EQ Pedal

Go! Go! Bronco

You won't ever see me falling to my knees
I won't live for something I can't see
Quote by okaykiddo
I have a 100watt JCM 900, cept I've taken out one of the fuses to run it at 50 watt. I was running my cab at 16 ohms but I read somewhere that I should lower the head since I've halved my wattage, so now I'm running the head at 8 and cab at 16? Is this right or wrong? Sorry if I sound like a complete n00b.
Thanks.

The ohm load is now twice what the selector is set for on the head, i.e. if it says 8 the amp is actually running at 16, so you should keep the cab at 16 and switch the head down to 8.

To the threadstarter: Use the 16 ohm setting. That way you're using all the transformer windings. It's a minor thing, but it's technically the "best" way to run the amp and you may notice an improvement in tone.
Ah thanks so much dude.

Cheers!
Gear Now:
Epiphone G400
JCM 900 4100
1960a cab
SD - 1

Next:
EQ Pedal

Go! Go! Bronco

You won't ever see me falling to my knees
I won't live for something I can't see