this is a question mainly to people that are on record labels... how did you get signed???? were you playing at a gig and someone that works for them spoke with you after the show???? did you send a demo tape of your band to the company??? did you personally go to their building and play. how does it go down?
Send stuff to a bunch of foreign labels. My dad's metal band were on some Greek label.
Quote by Bluesbreaker7
DIY. Set up your own label.

I'm serious.

with the way the industry is headed. honestly you dont wanna be on a big label. your best option is to establish a local fanbase and expand and promote your band bigtime on the interweb.

its to the point where even GuitarCenter will be happy to put your songs on itunes.
but how are bands usually found? they send in a demo? jam in front of the company? or are found playin at gigs?
Quote by Swat Man
but how are bands usually found? they send in a demo? jam in front of the company? or are found playin at gigs?

I imagined a death metal band playing in like a board meeting in a office
United as One, Divided by Zero
Quote by Swat Man

Gigs(bigger the better) and demos to companies that have artists of your type is your best bet
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
lolz to sylosis

just myspace it dude

alot of artists (so called artists) in Britain get discovered from myspace (ie lilly allen was it? arctic monkeys?)
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
I made a really ****ing good demo, sent it off to a few labels, got accepted by the first two I contacted.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
There seems to have been a recent increase in the Pit of people wanting to get signed or 'make it'...

Don't get me wrong guys, Id love to make it and think that if people try hard enough it can happen and I hope that if i put in the hard work it'll happen for me to.

But do UGers not notice it more in the Pit now?

Anyway, I think the internet idea if probably the way to go now. Although personally Im gonna start my own label, I just like the idea moreson than others.
Manchester United Est. 1878

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by rabidguitarist
I made a really ****ing good demo, sent it off to a few labels, got accepted by the first two I contacted.

woah, well done dude. What happened when you got accepted?
Manchester United Est. 1878

Do you DIG?

Cos I DIG.
Quote by screwup30
woah, well done dude. What happened when you got accepted?

I broke it off with the first one, and went with the really tiny indie label. I'm friends with them now, and with all of the people signed to them, so it works on a 'I want to release my album now, lets do it' basis, not a 'we need money- write some songs.'
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
I broke it off with the first one, and went with the really tiny indie label. I'm friends with them now, and with all of the people signed to them, so it works on a 'I want to release my album now, lets do it' basis, not a 'we need money- write some songs.'

Hows the money?
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
I'll bump your mother if you're not careful
United as One, Divided by Zero
Quote by rabidguitarist

This is relavant to my interests also. Was it a solo thing? How many tracks? All originals? What are the basic terms of the contract?
There are so many levels of so-called labels out there, from biggies like Sony down to some dude in his mom's basement calling himself a label and releasing his own tunes on it to what amounts to his family and friends.

Virtually NOBODY sends stuff off to the majors and gets multiple offers on the first go. Not to discredit anyone here, as a lot of indie labels have pretty high standards, but just saying not to jump to conclusions.

Getting signed to a major:
-send package including photo, bio, CD, weblink, etc.

They are looking for:
-image (young and beautiful sells)
-great songs
-great hooks
-instantly accessible (sure, your curry-flavoured bran cereal might be really creative, but the hordes and masses will instantly jump at the strawberry chocolate graham cereal way quicker.... know-wad-I-meen....)
-great vocals
-commitment to developing your own fanbase (loads of independent CD sales, great attendance at gigs, lots of local hype, independent tours, etc.)

They won't take a chance on you unless they're pretty certain they'll make their money back, and a band that is not committed is generally not considered worth the risk. Your level of commitment is demonstrated (from the label's point of view) by going out and doing it, rather than sitting by and hoping for good luck to come their way.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.