So I think I finally got it, but I'm confused about something. Is your tongue supposed to be touching the airholes when you bend a note?

A lot of internet sites just say to whistle backwards, which is what I do, but the tip of my tongue is still touching the airhole as I am bending the note. I can't find out whether or not I am supposed to be doing this.

I still am getting the sound of a bent note, but I would also like to learn the correct technique, which is why I am asking about it.

So is this the wrong way of doing it or what?
actually, anyone have, like, a guide on how to play harmonica?

ive got one, but i have no earthly idea on how to play it

like, how do you know what note you play?
Quote by ~Danny~
Must if they break for me, better sounds come from the way you play more-so than the strings.

Quote by ~Danny~
>hen I said 'must', i meant just.

Quote by ~Danny~
I think we've realised I can't type by now...
Quote by ilikeguitar90
So I think I finally got it, but I'm confused about something. Is your tongue supposed to be touching the airholes when you bend a note?

A lot of internet sites just say to whistle backwards, which is what I do, but the tip of my tongue is still touching the airhole as I am bending the note. I can't find out whether or not I am supposed to be doing this.

I still am getting the sound of a bent note, but I would also like to learn the correct technique, which is why I am asking about it.

So is this the wrong way of doing it or what?

To bend notes (and keep in mind, bending notes on a cheap harmonica is pretty hard) you more or less.. I don't even know how to describe it. I tighten up my mouth and my throat I guess. It just takes practice. I don't think my tongue hits the airhole though.

Also, the sound of a bent note is, well, the sound of a bent note. It slightly differs in pitch from the normal note. You can look for stuff on Youtube for examples if you want.

Quote by tomathy
actually, anyone have, like, a guide on how to play harmonica?

ive got one, but i have no earthly idea on how to play it

like, how do you know what note you play?

Harmonicas can only play notes from (I believe, I may be wrong) the major scale of the key that they are in. Other notes have to be bent to. Unless you have a chromatic harmonica, which is very unlikely, as chromatic harmonicas are usually $75+.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
To bend a note when playing harmonica you pull your tongue back while playing the note.
I was always told to just blow into the harmonica sideways really hard so you're actually bending a reed the same way you bend a string.