I was looking at this and it seems to only tune your Low E string up and down. What's the point in that?

ps. I know this probably a super n00b question but I don´t know any better so go easy on me

Thanks
lol its for drop D tuning, so ure low e goes to d.
its not suppose to de-tune all of ure strings its so u can play powerchords easier only using the one finger
To drop D. Unless you have a non-recessed floyd rose, it's not worth it though.

Quote by Blanco
l its so u can play powerchords easier only using the one finger

There's a lot more to drop D/C/A/whatever than that, man.
its use to tune your E to drop D,without having to actually turn the tunning pegs.
Its usually a tunning used in metal but not always.
And your power chord would look like this
e--------
b--------
g--------
d----2--
a----2---
e----2---
what is D-Tuna D tunning...drop D tunning is just your 6th string tuned down to D..D tunning is dropping all your string down 1 step..so it woulde be
DropD-DADBGe
D-DGCAFd
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
The purpose has already been said. It's a lazy man's tool in my mind - only takes a second to use your ear and tune down or up.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I agree, it tales 2 seconds to hit your D string and then drop your E down, then hit your high E to step it back up.
I never heard of this but wouldn't pay money for it.
Quote by stangconv
you dont have a floyd rose

Not to burst your bubble, but if you have a recessed, full floating bridge, your 5 other strings would go all over the place.
Quote by webbtje
Not to burst your bubble, but if you have a recessed, full floating bridge, your 5 other strings would go all over the place.

I dunno what you are talking about?

I was replying to the guy who said it takes 2 seconds to tune by ear and change.

The D-tuna is for a Floyd rose, and to change tuning on MY floyd it takes at LEAST 2 minutes. and that is if, like you say, the rest of my strings stay in tune. IF they go out then its around 5 minutes at least to fix

It is pretty much impossible, for me anyways, to change tunings on my Floyd between songs in a timely fashion.

The D-tuna is designed so that you can go from Standard or Drop D fast without messing up the rest of your strings. If it works... I dunno i never used it before.
Quote by stangconv
I dunno what you are talking about?

I was replying to the guy who said it takes 2 seconds to tune by ear and change.

The D-tuna is for a Floyd rose, and to change tuning on MY floyd it takes at LEAST 2 minutes. and that is if, like you say, the rest of my strings stay in tune. IF they go out then its around 5 minutes at least to fix

It is pretty much impossible, for me anyways, to change tunings on my Floyd between songs in a timely fashion.

The D-tuna is designed so that you can go from Standard or Drop D fast without messing up the rest of your strings. If it works... I dunno i never used it before.

this guy is right - the rest who say its a lazy mans tuning - know your stuff before making a comment - imbeciles
It's the lazy simple metalhead's tuning. For metal, most people use it for fast or easy powerchords.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Strangconv has it right. In a floating trem, if you drop one string, the rest of the strings will go sharp, throwing your entire guitar out of tune..

The D-tuna is supposed to maintain tuning stability accross the strings, and make it easier to drop tune your guitar, which is great on stage if you're not switching axes.

Also, drop tuning is NOT a lazy mans tool. There is so much more you can do besides power chords in drop tuning.

And I hardly consider it lazy if I want to nail a pull-off through 4 consecutive chords, which is impossible to do clean in standard tuning. In standard, it requires you to slide, which is something completely different. Just an example...

And some people fail to realize that drop tuning increases the scale length of the guitars neck by a full step from open low string to highest fret of the high string.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Last edited by Reildeal at Apr 10, 2008,
Quote by Slaytanic1993
It's the lazy simple metalhead's tuning. For metal, most people use it for fast or easy powerchords.

Retarded man. Drop tuning isn't just used in metal. And a statement like this is like saying that Open tuning is the lazy simple slide guitarist tuning..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
My last point.... I'd like to see you play something like this in standard....
Dropped
------------------------
--3---------------------
--5(bend/release full step)--
------------------------
--3---------------------
--3---------------------

Standard
------------------------
--3---------------------
------------------------
--3---------------------
--1---------------------
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
Retarded man. Drop tuning isn't just used in metal. And a statement like this is like saying that Open tuning is the lazy simple slide guitarist tuning..

of course, the people who are making these points know their stuff

people say capos are for beginners - learn things beforehand for gods sake!

drop D is used in so many great songs and is used to vary not only heaviness but clever changes, vocal changes, dif. types of octave changes and more

this D-Tuna topic has just brought up the so-called n00bs from the depths of ignorance!
Quote by Reildeal

Which is why I said FOR metal. By this, I meant that when people drop tune FOR metal, they usually are doing it for speed...
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Which is why I said FOR metal. By this, I meant that when people drop tune FOR metal, they usually are doing it for speed...

well you should probably ask your boy, fan.

i aint your buddy, guy. you aint my guy, fwend. you aint my fwend, buddy - and so forth

watch south park....
Quote by Reildeal
My last point.... I'd like to see you play something like this in standard....
Dropped
------------------------
--3---------------------
------------------------
--3---------------------
--3---------------------

Standard
------------------------
--3---------------------
--3(bend/release full step)--
------------------------
--3---------------------
--1---------------------

fixed.

Now, tell me again what's so hard about that?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
fixed.

Now, tell me again what's so hard about that?

what did you fix? It's wrong. that bend is from the 5th fret, not the 3rd.

the whole point of that bend is to bend from C to D, to match the note played on the 3rd fret of the B string, then release back to C.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
And here's the same formation used in picking:

Dropped

--------------------------------------------------
--------3-----------------------------------------
--------5^full/release-----------------3------
-----------------------------------------------5--
-----3--------------------------------------------
-3------------------------------------------------
*let ring

and in Standard

--------------------------------------------------
--------3-----------------------------------------
--------5^full/release-----------------3------
-----------------------------------------------5--
-----3--------------------------------------------
-1------------------------------------------------
*let ring
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
what did you fix? It's wrong. that bend is from the 5th fret, not the 3rd.

the whole point of that bend is to bend from C to D, to match the note played on the 3rd fret of the B string, then release back to C.

My bad, I misinterpreted your post then. It looked like it was two sets of powerchord riffs, this is how I saw it....
Quote by original

Dropped
------------------------
--3---------------------C
--5(bend/release full step)--G(A)G
------------------------
--3---------------------F

Standard
------------------------
--3--------------------C
--5(bend/release full step)--A(B)
------------------------
--1---------------------F

I just replaced the A note in the standard tuning example with a G note so it would be the same riff.

Which would have been fine if it had been what I thought it was....but it wasn't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by davedoom
i was also confused by the first tab post - now i get it!

Nice to know I'm not the only mong round here
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Nice to know I'm not the only mong round here

well, i wouldnt go that far

stupid bird.....shooooo shoooo
Slaytanic, the man in your avatar plays in drop D and I wouldn't call him lazy or playing for speed. Drop d has a dark sound even though it is still technically power chords. There is something about that tuning that just comes off darker than standard down one step.
Quote by steven seagull
My bad, I misinterpreted your post then. It looked like it was two sets of powerchord riffs, this is how I saw it....

I just replaced the A note in the standard tuning example with a G note so it would be the same riff.

Which would have been fine if it had been what I thought it was....but it wasn't.

Oh, no prob man. I threw it up pretty quick, didn't mean to make it confusing.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
D-tuna will ONLY work on a non-floating top mounted Floyd unless you block a floating Floyd with a Tremel-no or a block of wood into dive only mode. If its floating and you engage the D-Tuna all your other strings will go sharp cause the bridge will drop slightly into the recessed body. How is that so difficult to understand? Besides how is it a lazy method? Its for Floyd Rose bridges. Change easily to drop D mid song or you can do it the normal way. Unlock nut, tune E to D, re-lock nut, adjust with fine tuners if needed then keep playing
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
****, some of you people are useless! Good work to the guys who got it right though!
The D-Tuna is for applying drop d in floyd rose equipped guitars without effecting the tuning of the other strings. It's not a 'lazy mans tool' It's a great idea.
I have one of these, very useful.