i feel like ive been making good progress teaching myself but i see myself hitting a wall and i need guidance.

my problem is.......how exactly do i go about finding a good teacher? i personally dont know any guitarists near me(i live in queens, NY) for any recommendations or anything. i dont know if i should search online.....or what.

so yeah i am pretty confused
I thought the thread title was 'How should I go about fighting a teacher?' :L

Sorry but I felt it necessary to tell the world...
Epi Lp Custom-->Ernie Ball VPJR-->Visual Sound Jekyll And Hyde-->Boss TU-2-->Boss Tr-2-->ISP Decimator-->Dan-Electro Reel Echo-->MXR Micro Amp-->Laney VC-30 2x10

The Cubists
Hmm, you don't need a teacher.

Just learn your chords, scales, etc. all that good stuff.

You have the whole internet full of information. Even youtube gives lessons, try those out for now dude.
....i didnt just start today. obviously being at this website ive been utilizing all i can. the are some things that are difficult to understand that i think a teacher could help with i guess

its been several months. i just feel like i should be progressing much faster then i am. im not expecting to be jesus or anything, i just feel like its all coming reallllyyy slow this way
Quote by nan0
Hmm, you don't need a teacher.

Just learn your chords, scales, etc. all that good stuff.

You have the whole internet full of information. Even youtube gives lessons, try those out for now dude.

I agree... I have had no formal teaching, and I don't see anything that can't be learned without a teacher... The internet is wonderful, and you can find all of music theory on the web, as well as just about every guitar technique imaginable... "the wall" you hit is just that you need to keep practicing regularly and you'll see improvement... It's not a wall its just a slow down... it happens to everyone
Yes, the internet is a great thing for people who are just starting out. But getting a teacher is ALWAYS the best way to go if you're really serious. You'd be suprised at how much more quiclky you'd progress with sombody who's able to help you adress specific problems in your playing, as a lot of the information you might find on the web is very sparse and general. If you have the money and time for a teacher, it's definitely worth it. If you live in New York, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a teacher. Ask at a local music shop.

edit: but that isn't to say that you can't teach yourself. I've just found it more effective to study with a teacher, and if this guy wants to get a teacher as well, there's no reason to tell him that a teacher is useless.
Last edited by Slash 602 at Apr 10, 2008,
Quote by Travlembo
I agree... I have had no formal teaching, and I don't see anything that can't be learned without a teacher... The internet is wonderful, and you can find all of music theory on the web, as well as just about every guitar technique imaginable... "the wall" you hit is just that you need to keep practicing regularly and you'll see improvement... It's not a wall its just a slow down... it happens to everyone

This is not a thread about getting a teacher or teaching himself. He doesnt care about your opinion on that topic.
He wants to find a teacher.
Have you tried craigs list? I know they have stuff like that on there all the time. All specific to your location of course.
just make sure you find one that teaches you theory not just songs
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
Well...

Here is what I did. Now mind you I was younger and lived in SF Bay Area.

I went to see live bands, the underground bands in my local area.
If I saw a guitarist I liked and had soemthing I was interested in whether he was trained or not I asked for a couple lessons and I would pay em for his time. 9 times out of 10 I got the lesson. 9 times out of 10 I ended up with a new friend kinda as well.

I think what I am getting at is do not find just any teacher find a teacher that works in the style of music you want to play or find someone that plays somethign that interests you and soemthing you will work for to learn.

Taking alot of information from the net also works, that is what I do now mostly because locally where I live now there is not much of a local scene except some 12 and 8 bar blues guys which do not got much of a thresh hold for heavy metal or teaching it none the less.

But find a teacher that has something to teach you, not someone there that has no interest in your style of music.
Having a teacher does have its advantages I guess but I wouldn't know about that cause im self taught, just go to a music store by some theory books and pratice and have fun with it.