I've been playing for a little under 6 months and every now and then I sit down and practice nothing but pinch harmonics for about 20 minutes. I understand the concept of you lightly hit the string with your thumb after strumming, and that's exactly what I do, and I can't get the squeal sound. Any advice is appreciated.
ive been playing for 2.5 years and i still cant do them but they are getting better, just keep practicing
Jackson RR3
ESP LTD MH-250NT (EMG 81-85)
Peavey Valveking 100 Head
Harley Benton Cabnet
Blackstar Distx Valve Distortion
Boss DD3
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss Noise-Gate
A Member Of The Jackson Players Group
There are different points on the strings u have to strum to get the pinch harmonics out so ur probs not hitting the right spot
Make Sure you move the point of your pick attack around. There are only certain spots (Harmonic Nodes) that you can pick on the string to cause a pinch harmonic. If that's your problem you should get it pretty fast.
Also be sure to use your bridge pick-up when you're first beginning. It makes it much easier to get the squeal.
i started getting them when i got my BC rich...it's probly the action i have on it
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
yeah what i do is around the bridge pickup
like if you were palm muting thats the
perfect position to do pinch harmnics
ive got them perfect that way
also
if you using only 1 pickup it will work
but if your usig both pickups it wont work
the bridge pickup words incredibaly well with pinch harmonics
also a good amount of treble and gain will make them really stick out as they should in my style of music
i've been using my single coil pickup, i guess that's why

i ordered a new guitar (ict700!) so when that comes i'll try to nail them w/ the bridge pickup.

thanks everyone
Last edited by nouOU at Apr 10, 2008,
it will work on a single coil, i learned on a starter pack strat. i have modded it now though...
anyways, key points to learning pinches...

you need to find that sweet spot on the string where it is easiest to hit a pinch. there are several spots on each string between the end of the neck and the bridge. but theres one spot thats real easy.

also, picking technique is very important, i would recommend something thick if your not already using that. my favorites are Dunlop Jazz IIIs. you need to makesure your thumb hangs off to hit the string immediatly after the pick. Pinch up really close to the tip of the pick to achieve this.

I find that the Gstring offers the easiest harmonic at first.
Just to throw it out there, and i say it alot, but Youtube.com can be a great resource. there are some good instructional vids on there... and some crappy ones...
CARVINITES UNITE!

7th

IV
easiest way for me to do it;

turn your distortion all the way up. some people recommend playing clean, it's much harder to get them to ring out through clean settings. so if you can do it clean, distortion is no problem.

but I use the jazz III's too, i usually put my pick dead center between the two humbuckers. then i slide my pick back towards the bridge just a tad, a milimeter or two at the most. then hold the 3rd fret, i find it easiest to do it on the 4th or 5th string, and when you pick, flick your wrist to the side a bit so your thumb hits the string and immediately retreats.

probly a retarded technique, it's sloppy and leaves a bit of a delay afterwards if you're not used to it but it's how i learned.
Quote by nouOU
I've been playing for a little under 6 months and every now and then I sit down and practice nothing but pinch harmonics for about 20 minutes. I understand the concept of you lightly hit the string with your thumb after strumming, and that's exactly what I do, and I can't get the squeal sound. Any advice is appreciated.

Practice, although to be honest I wouldn't expevt you to be able to do them after 6 months.

I wouldn't worry about them yet, concentrate on sorting out your picking accuracy first...showboat stuff like pinches can wait till later, you need a cake before you can start thinking about icing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I could do them after a month, but that's due to alot of trial and error. I discovered on my les the perfict spot is about 1-2mm right behind the neck pup.
You have to find the right spot with your thumb and the right spot on the string....Do it with distortion first then practice it on clean...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
if you hear a "thunk" your on the right track
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks