If I went from using EMG's to Seymour Duncan would I see a loss or an improvement in sound? I've heard EMG's ignore tonewoods and the circuit replaces any tone with their own sound and that sound is why people buy them, is that true?
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
i wouldnt say that it replaces all tone but it does impart its own tone on the guitar as basically all pickups do. the tone can be good or bad. it depends on your taste.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
It depends what you play. If you play cleans than It would be an improvement in sound for sure.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
not true, EMG's are the best pups imo, try the 18V mod, go 27V and you wont ever pick a crappy seymour duncan or dimarzio up again.

all opinion based btw
I personally think that Seymour Duncans will kick EMG's any day, but thats for my style and I play everything. But, if you play raucous metal then EMG's might suit you better. The pickups don't really compensate for the tone woods, it doens't work like that. If its not wood, then it won't sound like wood. You can't replace the real thing. People buy them because they have huge output and have plenty of gain.
But Seymours have more grit. If you can make a Seymour Duncan scream and turn it into a demon then your that much more metal than the guy who relies of battery's to reach that 'fake'(so to speakl) distorted sound.
Don't get me wrong, I love EMG's as well, just not my thing.
If you wanted to stay with the active pups you could try the Seymour Duncan Blackouts or Livewire. I heard their awesome for cleans as well!
My Gear:
-Washburn Idol 66 Pro
-Egnater Rebel 20
-Roland Micro Cube
-Ibanez Acoustic/Electric
Quote by CM_X5
...I've heard EMG's ignore tonewoods and the circuit replaces any tone with their own sound and that sound is why people buy them, is that true?
As I said in another thread (Quite possibly to a VERY similar comment), this couldn't be more incorrect if it came from George Bush.

Like Met92 said, try the 18V mod before you decide to give up your EMGs. You won't regret it.

Quote by metallica92
...all opinion based btw
Met, its not an opinion If you can't tell the difference between 9 and 18V setups, step away from your guitar.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Last edited by jm1681 at Apr 10, 2008,
I forgot all about the 18V mod...I'll give that a try later today. May as well just keep em and give it more time. Maybe the EMG ingoring tonewood thing was just a speculation that somehow got people thinking it was fact for all I know. Thanks for clearing that up.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Sorry if I seemed overly angered, but it gets to me in a bad way when people come down on these pickups for the reasons they do. Not quite sure why, nevertheless, it does.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"