Okay i'm a third year player and fairly experienced. My parents are offering to get me a guitar and i get to "help" choose, and since it's only my second guitar (my first is a squier strat) i'm not very experienced in the choosing of a new one, though i have a few specs.
I LOVE the SG's they are the best for me i believe after i've spent hours in guitar shops testing numerous varieties. i also would like a Floyd Rose trem because my band mixes classic rock style (think Boston and Kansas) with new metal (think Dragonforce) and it would allow me to go so far beyond bending strings. My favorite combo of PUs tonally is like either an SG-3 or SG Special Faded 3 way pickup. i've seen an ESP LTD Viper w/a Floyd Rose but idk about the pickups. i really want to kno if anyone has any suggestions as to what guitar i should look into, im not just thinking strictly SG here either, good imitators like the ESP LTD Viper are also wanted.
(just as a sidenote my fav paintjob is the Fireburst design on the SG SUPREME, but i also have a strong feeling my dad could buy a white guitar and then get a custom paintjob)
Amp? I'd suggest S2170 or LTD Eclipse EC1000.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Ibanez RG prestige or S series are always good, as are ESP MH series, and Schecter Hellraiser FR's.

Yes, we would like to know what type of amp you have. Good amp with decent guitar>bad amp with great guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yes

Get an ENGL.

and under a thousand if possible is preferred but i thnk they can manage monthly payments for those up and over a grand
Try ENGL Screamer 50 or Thunder. $1270.99 on MF but might be a lot more expensive if you buy locally since they are German amps and the import tax over here is ridiculous...

Well my amp has been working for me perfectly, with the two channels for clean and distorted, the effects built in are fine, and for what i need to do the distortion works great and the 100 watt output more than suffices. plus it's not very destructable and i have a ZOOM G2.1u Multi-Effects pedal to boot.
If you are not going to buy a new amp then buy a guitar with passive pickups... Active pickups are the worst things you can give to a SS amp (any amp in fact IMO).

Active needs batteries. Passives don't, like your stock pickups right now. A lot of players like the humbucking ability and good rhythm tone from actives, but they are rather dull and can only do cookie cutting metal and some clean.

New amp, maybe a peavey 6505 combo, or a Valveking 112.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
OK enough w/the amps, i just got my MG a year ago and it's all i need for right now, i'd really like to update my axe from my lame squier though, so if we could stick to that it'd be great
Again... S2170 or RG2550Z

if you want to keep it relatively cheap, go for an RG1570. A very good guitar for very cheap ($750 basic top-of-the-line Ibanez). Or, you could look at Jacksons from the Pro series and up.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
LTD Vipers

There's the new Epi Prophecy, it's worth checking out.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product763.html
It's kinda funky looking, but it's the closest you'll find. Sorry don't know how to make a link

EDIT: Oh wait, it is a link. Sweet!
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I've heard they make some good stuff. They're the same company that makes the Agile LP copies, which are supposed to be good.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
if I wanna do a custom paint job on it how should i go about it? step by step or a pre-made video would be wonderful!