Alright, so I'm half of a two-piece epic-folk duo. Both me and my bandmate play guitar and we both have about ten years experience under our belt. However, we want to add some flavour to some of our songs because we don't have a drummer or bassist and as a result we're fairly limited in what we can play.

So, instead of actually getting a drummer or bassist, we're looking for fairly cheap, obscure, crowd-pleasing instruments that we can play to add some variety to our songs. I play harmonica and we've also got a set of cheap bongos, but I was looking for more, preferably obscure instruments. Not like a didgeridoo, because we don't have the money or means to acquire such an instrument, but something along those lines. Instrument difficulty isn't a huge issue because we don't mind learning something new.

Does anyone have any ideas for strange but fun instruments that can liven up a song?
You could always get a mandolin.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
I made my didgeridoo for about five dollars. PVC and beeswax is all you need for a decent didgeridoo.
Quote by Wulver

I was actually going to get a mando a while ago but I went with a keyboard instead. I'm still learning it, so I guess I should have added that to the list above. A mando would actually work quite well if I could get a cheap enough one.
Quote by malokopeenow
I made my didgeridoo for about five dollars. PVC and beeswax is all you need for a decent didgeridoo.

Reeally? And it actually sounds good? I've gotta try that.
A Trumpet or Recorder. If you look in your local classified ads, They always have obscures instruments lying about for a good little bargain. Hope that helps.
one of the most fantastic instruments [edit] (bar the guitar) to ever grace the earth is the greek form of the lute, commonly known as the bouzouki...try having a look sii upon t'internet for some more info...
Last edited by lesbian_men at Apr 10, 2008,
Quote by malokopeenow

...HOW!!
Quote by AtThisVelocity
Metal_Hed_23, will you marry me?

Quote by drewfromutah
If she takes her pill properly and you still pill out or use a condom, just quit having sex altogether. The damn pill was built so that you can ride bareback and film your own creampie movies afterwards.
Quote by lesbian_men
one of the most fantastic instruments to ever grace the earth is the greek form of the lute, commonly known as the bouzouki...try having a look sii upon t'internet for some more info...

Gave it a look, seems pretty cool. A bit out of my price range though. I'm more into things that can be made for cheap.
Quote by CtrlAltDel
Gave it a look, seems pretty cool. A bit out of my price range though. I'm more into things that can be made for cheap.

sucks...got mine from greece for about 70 euro's, but i carried it home on me ole back...i guess shipping prices would be astronomical...
For adding a bit of flavor to your songs, there's nothing better than a saxophone. Go out and get yourself a soprano sax and learn. It's a really great instrument and there's so much you can do with it. If you don't believe me, just listen to Dream Theater's Another Day. You can't tell me that the sax doesn't add to the song.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by CtrlAltDel
I was actually going to get a mando a while ago but I went with a keyboard instead. I'm still learning it, so I guess I should have added that to the list above. A mando would actually work quite well if I could get a cheap enough one.

Check the pawn shops. I've found a few for fairly cheap in there. eBay's always an option as well.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Try going for some traditional folk instruments. I recently started playing the concertina, it adds a really cool element to the music. Or, as someone previously stated, you can never go wrong with a mandolin.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
'Epic-folk'?

'Like a bat out of hell, I'll be gone when the parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme comes...'

Maybe look for an autoharp, bouzouki, dulcimer, lute or Stylophone.
banjo!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
They're expensive, but a flugelhorn is pretty cool. I love that name!

A didgeridoo is a good idea. I made one. Here are some instructions to make a cheap one: http://www.didjshop.com/shop1/make_your_own_didgeridoo.html

And, I'm not sure how it's done, but manualism is always interesting. Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manualism_(hand_music)

There are some good examples of manualism on YouTube.
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
Melodica!
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by kyle62
'Epic-folk'?

'Like a bat out of hell, I'll be gone when the parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme comes...

Haha, yeah, we kind of coined the term ourselves. That's pretty much what we are though. We tell long epic stories in song with lots of intensity, but not so much that we actually have to plug in our instruments.

Great ideas so far guys. We've already decided to make our own didgeridoo, and I'm looking into ocarinas.
Quote by CtrlAltDel
Alright, so I'm half of a two-piece epic-folk duo. Both me and my bandmate play guitar and we both have about ten years experience under our belt. However, we want to add some flavour to some of our songs because we don't have a drummer or bassist and as a result we're fairly limited in what we can play.

So, instead of actually getting a drummer or bassist, we're looking for fairly cheap, obscure, crowd-pleasing instruments that we can play to add some variety to our songs. I play harmonica and we've also got a set of cheap bongos, but I was looking for more, preferably obscure instruments. Not like a didgeridoo, because we don't have the money or means to acquire such an instrument, but something along those lines. Instrument difficulty isn't a huge issue because we don't mind learning something new.

Does anyone have any ideas for strange but fun instruments that can liven up a song?

Perhaps a mbira ?
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Wulver

+1
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Oh, hell, why didn't this occur to me?

Slide guitar, man. Easy to learn, gives a new sound to what you're doing. You could get a dobro, just use an acoustic, maybe even a lap steel.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay