ok so im looking at buying a used gibson lp custom.This guy sent me me some pics of his.

Is it just me or do the letterings and the diamon shape thing look a little off?

or does that just happen over time?

heres the link

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c328/infuturewithoutfail/?action=view&current=Headstock.jpg

thanks!!
Guitars- Gibson SG Stanadard (stock)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Emg 81/85

Amp- Marshall Jcm 2000 DSL/1960 Lead Cab

Pedals- Boss TU-2, Ibanez TS-9, Boss NS-2, Line 6 DL-4, Boss Ph-3, Boss GE-7
well, it doesnt look like it says 'les ' on the truss rod cover , it looks like Laos or something, but imo is doesnt look real

edit,
the gibson logo etc looks like a ****ing sticker lol
gear:
Custom built Strat
Esp ltd EC-1000
Gibson les paul fadded dc
Line 6 spider II 30watt
Boss Ds1, DD6,Tu-2, NS
Alvarez af60ckelectro/acoustic
That's a real one. One of the things all copies have is 3 truss rod cover screws. That one has two therefore it is authentic!
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
How much is he selling it for?

And has the serial number checked out?
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by redwing91007
That's a real one. One of the things all copies have is 3 truss rod cover screws. That one has two therefore it is authentic!

not nessisarily, the truss rod covers can be bought TS, ask him to send you a pic of the serial num on the back of the headstock
gear:
Custom built Strat
Esp ltd EC-1000
Gibson les paul fadded dc
Line 6 spider II 30watt
Boss Ds1, DD6,Tu-2, NS
Alvarez af60ckelectro/acoustic
yeah you can buy those covers for pretty cheap...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by redwing91007

quite

you can slap a 2 hole cover on anything really

pickup cavities painted black=fake
check the serial
the headstock looks the right shape at least
the wiring is probably neater on a real one than a fake, check that
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
he says the headstock number is 82358565 but he didn't include a picture of it

hes selling it for $2000 canadian (because its had 2 repairs on it)

the only thing that loooks sketchy to me though is the headstock
Guitars- Gibson SG Stanadard (stock)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Emg 81/85

Amp- Marshall Jcm 2000 DSL/1960 Lead Cab

Pedals- Boss TU-2, Ibanez TS-9, Boss NS-2, Line 6 DL-4, Boss Ph-3, Boss GE-7
The truss rod cover is definitely wrong, and the inlays look way too sloppy to be Gibson. The serial number indicates that it would be an 88 if it was real, but that doesn't mean anything, anyone can put a serial number on a guitar.
Do you have more pics of the body/electronics? I really doubt it's real but it would be easier to confirm with more info.
Maybe the guy he had repair it did a ****ty job.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
The inlay work looks real dodgy. The chinese are catching on to how to make a guitar look more authentic. So the 3 screw cover dead give away doesnt work so good anymore. They have the same info we do. For 2 grand I would pass.
yeah, if the serial number says it was made in '88, ask him when he bought it. hopefully he won't be clever enough to say he got it used himself. actually, ask him if he's the original owner first.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Dude, get a picture of the serial, no matter what if you get the picture with a hand written paper just to make sure its real, you wont get bullsh!tted.

Safety first =P
Quote by Tackleberry
The chinese are catching on to how to make a guitar look more authentic. So the 3 screw cover dead give away doesnt work so good anymore. They have the same info we do. For 2 grand I would pass.

Agreed, all it takes is one of the counterfeiters to read one of Gibson's 'how to spot a fake' articles, and we're back to square one...

I for one would say the 'Gibson' inlay looks a little rough round the edges, not much but enough doubt to pass over the offer without a second thought.
Quote by redwing91007

counterfeiters caught on to that a LONG time ago. Go to the Gibson.com forum/Les Pauls for more info.
Quote by Roc8995
The truss rod cover is definitely wrong, and the inlays look way too sloppy to be Gibson. The serial number indicates that it would be an 88 if it was real, but that doesn't mean anything, anyone can put a serial number on a guitar.
Do you have more pics of the body/electronics? I really doubt it's real but it would be easier to confirm with more info.

Actually youre wrong
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-Truss-Rod-Cover-Black_W0QQitemZ150232468256QQcmdZViewItem
Same exact thing.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
THis is my view, it might be wrong.

Judging from the headstock photo, the logo looks a little sloppy, but still looks liek a real Les Paul Custom. The truss rod looks passable.

And to the person that said that ONLY 3 screwed truss rods are the fakes, they're wrong. I've seen Gibson Replicas that have 2 screws.

Try to get more pictures!!
lol
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground