Ok so for anyone going to a music festival I've started a little guide as regards stuff to bring etc.
I'm sure The Pit will be only too glad to put in what I've left out.

1) A tent
... Duh.
Get a decently sized tent, and don't for the love of God get a two man tent and then try to fit two people in it. Remember that you'll have bags and stuff and you might want to move at some point. I reckon bringing a 3/4 man tent for 2 people is wise, I'm open to correction on this one.
Also, practice setting up your tent before you go, you don't want to be standing there like a Gob****e figuring out that you're missing a pole and a tent peg when you get there.
Finally, try to get a good spot for your tent. Near the portaloos is a bad idea, I can't emphasize that enough. Don't go anywhere near them. You are liable to wake up in a river of poo and when the lorries come to empty then early in the morning the smell is awful. For the same reason don't be too near a ditch, you tent is more likely to get peed on. Near the path is also a bad idea as it makes you more of a target for thieves. Try to get a nice spot on relatively high ground, it'll save you from flooding.

2) A sleeping bag, blankets, Something to rest your head on, an inflatable mattress if you're a pussy
This one's fairly obvious, you want a place to sleep and you'll want to be reasonably warm and comfortable.

3) Babywipes, deodorant, liquid toothpaste, Hat/hair ties/dry shampoo (girls )
The first is essential as for the 2/3 days these will pretty much be your only shower.
Make it a heavy duty deodorant.
Liquid toothpaste because you'll never remember to bring water back with you when you're hammered and brushing your teeth with vodka isn't as cool as it sounds.
The last ones are for your hair, just wear a hat or tie it back and if you really really must then bring some dry shampoo.

4) Something shiny or distinctive (flag?) to tape to the top of your tent
This one's because all the tents will look the same, especially late at night (I'm trying to find a glow in the dark one). I highlight tape because some knob will invariably try to steal it.

5) Toilet paper, disinfectant hand-gel

The former because they probably won't have any, unless you're in Glastonbury and even then it's better to be safe than sorry and the latter because the portaloos will give you aids by day three.

6)A torch
For if you want to be able to find your way home at night. Also, bring batteries for it.
Or get a torch that works by the energy it gets when you shake it

7) Some basic first aid stuff
Just 'cause.

8) Clothes
I.e. Wellies, something waterproof, nothing too expensive and some layers. Zips are preferable.
Also, underwear, socks and towels.
Lots of towels.

9) Food
You will be robbed if you try to buy too much food there. Bring some stuff you won't mind having to survive on for a few days, bars crisps etc.
If you must bring a little stove thing to boil your pot noodle on.
Suggestions here are very welcome actually.

10) Drink
I can't see you getting in with glass bottles so plastic is a must. Bring water.
In Ireland at least you won't get in with your own alcohol, or you won't if you're an idiot. Bring spirits in (empty) shampoo bottles and the like. Be creative.
Also take ones that you don't mind drinking warm.

11) Sunscreen
You probably won't need it but wouldn't it be a ****er if you did and didn't have it.

12) Padlock
Unfortunately this is becoming more and more needed as more and more people are robbing stuff from tents (and occasionally tents) and generally acting the maggot.
I recommend a small lock so that you can lock your tent and if someone tries to rob stuff from it they will probably just move on to the next one instead. The fact that it's small means it won't draw too much attention. Use it for while you're sleeping so no-one can come in and pee on you.
Ideally though don't bring too many valuables with you, no MP3 players or the like, and certainly don't leave them in your tent.

13) A disposable camera
Unless you're gonna be really careful with a good one.

14) Money and a Phone
Kept on you at all times, most places will have a place to charge your phone but be ready to queue.

15) Condoms
To make you look cool.

That's all for now, 'cause I'm tired.

Add as much stuff as you can
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Apr 11, 2008,
Great list. Bring a shank tho. Just in case
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
Quote by audiorapist
awwwwwwwesome man, going to my first fest this year. everyone should build on this

That's the idea.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Ok, maybe I'm not getting this, but how can you effectively padlock a tent?
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in

You can lock the zippers together. People are less willing to cut it open, I'd guess.
Quote by break-me-in

Through the holes in the zips.
The hope is that they won't go through the trouble of cutting the tent open and just move on to the next one, especially as you're not allowed bring sharp objects in anyway.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
that's nice, thanks
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
making a windows machine look like a mac is like putting lipstick on a pig.

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Quote by break-me-in

Padlock two zips together. Like with a small padlock, not a massive one.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by break-me-in

Well provided that its pitched into the ground, it'd be too much effort to go underneath, and if the tent closes with one of those zips that has 2 pully things that you can pull together, then just padlock those together.

Thanks for this though. I'm planning to get tickets for Reading this year and this should prove useful.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru

Thanks for this though. I'm planning to get tickets for Reading this year and this should prove useful.

Hate to tell you this, but Reading is already pretty sold out. Even eBay has run out of tickets, I think.

Also, to all those who answered my question, you don't even need anything particularly sharp to get through a zip... It seems as though the padlock is just a deterrant, and will not really help much.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in

Also, to all those who answered my question, you don't even need anything particularly sharp to get through a zip... It seems as though the padlock is just a deterrant, and will not really help much.

Oh I know, the point is that they hopefully won't bother with the trouble when there's hundreds of other tents to rob.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Fair enough.

I've got a torch that works by the energy it gets when you shake it. It's pretty effective. I recommend it for the torch section of the OP.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
Fair enough.

I've got a torch that works by the energy it gets when you shake it. It's pretty effective. I recommend it for the torch section of the OP.

Will do.
*edits*
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
everytime I go to a multi day festival I just come in an RV, much less hassle and more privacy.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
You say that bringing an airbed is for pussies, but it's actually a very good place to hide valuables, food, etc. Take note of that.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
everytime I go to a multi day festival I just come in an RV, much less hassle and more privacy.

This man is genius.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by break-me-in
You say that bringing an airbed is for pussies, but it's actually a very good place to hide valuables, food, etc. Take note of that.

I know
I'm bringing one of these things

But only because I have a girl with me of course
<_<

>_>

<_<
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by break-me-in
Hate to tell you this, but Reading is already pretty sold out. Even eBay has run out of tickets, I think.

As far as I know, the tickets are being released in batches, the first lot are the ones that have sold out and apparently there are 2 more to come.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
id advise against the padlock the thieve will see it and think if theyve gone through trouble to padlock it something valuble must be inside it then theyll just cut into your tent like a hot knife through butter trust me dont padlock your tent just take all valubles with you
NO ONES GONNA TAKE ME ALIVE
THE TIME HAS COME TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT