ok im starting to fix up my 1975 les paul guitar body and the first part is repainting it. it was really scratched up when i got it so there's no way around it. but there is binding on it that is damaged too and i was wondering how do you get it off the guitar without damaging the guitar?

also does les paul guitars have to have binding? i was thinking just painting it all over without it bc one i think it would be cooler and two i dont know how to put binding on it. if its easy ill do it.

thanks
the paint on it is horrible dude. its really really bad. i have to so itll look nice. so please help me out
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Awww don't repaint a 75 bod. Leave it

We beg you, please.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
so i should just leave it like it is all scratched up with a crack near the top of the neck pocket? what about sale value when i fix it up?
Clean and repair if possible. Binding is pretty easy to repair. Repainting should be a last resort IMHO.
Quote by leader01
so i should just leave it like it is all scratched up with a crack near the top of the neck pocket? what about sale value when i fix it up?

A repainted body is worth much less than an original scratched finish. A crack is more serious though, and repainting won't fix it. If you want your guitar to retain some value, you should take it to an experienced guitar repair shop or luthier.
If its painted it loses value on vintage stuff. Doesnt matter if its really nice paint job. And no there is no way to get the binding off without tearing the wood up. And if you did get it off there would be the channel running around the body that would be really hard to fill.
ok so from what i have read i have a few questions:

1. does anybody know any good luthiers or repair people to get the scratches and stuff fixed on it?

2. is there anything esle on the guitar i shouldnt mess with?

3.if i decided to just paint the body as a last resort is there a way to paint it with the binding covered wiht painting tape or something so it doesnt get painted also?

4. what do you think this guitar will go for when fully working?
Quote by leader01
ok so from what i have read i have a few questions:

1. does anybody know any good luthiers or repair people to get the scratches and stuff fixed on it?

2. is there anything esle on the guitar i shouldnt mess with?

3.if i decided to just paint the body as a last resort is there a way to paint it with the binding covered wiht painting tape or something so it doesnt get painted also?

4. what do you think this guitar will go for when fully working?

1. I'm not in your area so i have no idea.

2. Dont screw around with anything on the guitar, let it keep its vintage mojo brother. (just clean her up. dont replace anything, if you really need to, get the gear off another 1970's les paul, just watch ebay, stuff comes up all the time)

3. Ima say this once, and once only... DONT REFINISH YOUR LES PAUL!!!!

4. that really depends on the model of les paul (and where it was made, they started making guitars in TN around 1975). an all orig (meens not screwed around with by idiots thinking of repainting/sticking emg's in them) 1975 deluxe is worth 1.5-2.5(depending on condition)? 1975 les paul customs are starting to push up around 4(depending on condition)?

I know my vintage pretty well...

so, post some pics and we'll see how bad she really is in the condition department
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Apr 10, 2008,
here is the picture of the guitar body. the guy tore out the humbuckers, the screws are rusty, the knobs are torn to bits because he let his guita fall down a flight of stairs. the wiring looks really really really old. anything else just let me know what u wanna know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Early-Mid-70s-Aria-Pan-Japan-Made-Project-Guitar-Body_W0QQitemZ300209979918QQihZ020QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and so if i get this baby all fixed up its guaranteed to bring me what a couple of thousands?
Last edited by leader01 at Apr 10, 2008,
The Les Paul you posted the link for on e-bay is a cheap Japanese knock-off, not a Gibson. So to answer your question, no it will not be worth a couple thousand when you fix it up.
oo my bad. so then i can do anything i want to it because it isnt worth a lot then? i thought it would be worth something lol
sorry, i thought it was a gibson. nah, its not worth alot, would be a great player though, those 70's japs are beautiful intsruments. body isnt too bad at all. It's got beautiful grain, would make a nice stage guitar. A player might pay a few hundred for it (arias arent as collectable as ibanez's)

sorry if the news dissapoints.

personaly, seeing as you only payed 50 for the body, im thinking if your not in a rush to put it back together, you could have it as a player for another $300-500 (just wait for the bits you need to come up on ebay). not sure what the bridge is on them, you should be able to fine out easy enough, get some gibson nobs (their about 20 bucks). A neck of your choice, just measure the pocket to make sure it'll fit. as for pickups, what do you wanna play on it?

i wouldnt bother with a refin, cost too much and it doesnt need it, its not too bad, as i said earlier, its got nice grain, the scratches just add to the vibe.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by R.D at Apr 10, 2008,
no im not disappointed. i thought it was strange that an old les paul would go for that price.

but yeah ill just fix it up the way i want and may keep or sell. not sure yet.

so whats making you think itll cost 300-500 to fix it back up?
mostly the neck and pickups.

what do you wanna play on it?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Do you have any idea what kind of wood the body might be? I don't know if you would be able to sell it for much, you probably wouldn't be making any money by selling it. If the body wood is good you could definitely fix it up into a nice playing and sounding guitar. If nothing else, it would be great practice for building/working on guitars. As for cost to fix up, I'm not really sure exactly how much it would be, depends on the quality of parts you buy.