Have you ever felt very much like writing something, but been unable to just find a starting point? Something, anything, to spark off some words. Do you have a way that you get around it? Would you like to post that method in this thread? I think you would.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Yes, I have. I've only been writing a short time, but its already happened to me. The main thing I did was to keep writing bull**** anyways. I knew what I was writing wasn't very good. But I kept writing anyways. I just recently came out of such a bout... theres no "good" way around it other than just plugging away until its over.
I get that alot, I usually just actually start a song like it was the beginning of a story. If you get what I mean. Like if you're writing a song about a girl or something. I'd start off with a few lines on when you first met and stuff.
Quote by aetherspear
If you have writer's block, just write about writer's block.

But that's the creative equivalent of having sex with a dead body...
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
But that's the creative equivalent of having sex with a dead body...

Haha. Lol. Nice one.

Live life some more. Read/watch/go out/get drunk/get your heart broken/shag/write. It'll all come back. riters block tends to just be an excuse for lack of inspiration or for little idea of how to turn inspiration into words.
Just ignore the writers block, and write anyway. Plan extensively, and don't care how bad it seems to be. Don't force it, just use alternative methods for a change - think very hard about how you're going to write it, rather than just letting it come out and then editing it.

That's what i do anyway...
I write fiction (novels mostly) and I find that if i listen to the same kind of music when i start writing it sometimes helps to get me going. another trick (this works very well with novel writing but i don't know about poetry/lyrics) is to read some of your old material before hand. I usually read at least four or five pages of my novel before i start writing again to pick up the threads and get myslef in the right frame of mind.

Also PLAN. plan it all to hell, over plan it so that whatever you're writing is falling out of your ears and nostrils. I only use about 1/10th of the stuf i write down in planning/keep in my head but it means i have a fuller understanding of things and have a better grounding for what I am doing

Failing that just write any old thing to start with. it makes no difference if it is pure unadulterated steaming horse poo. you can always chuck it later and just use the good bits of what you wrote and then hammer those into some kind of shape that you like.

Also read. read books, poetry ect. good lyrics should read like good poetry because that's all lyrics are. poetry put to music. So read around get a feel for what other people are doing and then start to aply those Ideas to your own work. Also if you find a phrase, word or Idea that you like take a look at it and expand upon it. For example there is a word that is largly redundant in modern english but has survived in poetry for the last few hundred years, the word 'darkling'. I took this word and wrote all the ideas i could think of to do with this word such as what it could mean, what it sounds like, it's implications, the imagaes it evokes and then managed to get a the stanza, eighteen line poem out of it.

the guy above me seems to use slightly different methods to me but different things work for different people. So experiment. see what works for you, but if it stops working for some reason do not be afraid to change your tactics for beeting qwriters block. for example used to listen to a band called Lumsk when I had writers block to try to shift it but after a while began to asociate it with not being able to write, so I changed the band I listen to, to what I'm currently using as my "anti writer's block band" which is apocalyptica.

They say that nesessity is the mother of invention so get inventing. be creative in your methods of getting over writer's block and you will encourage creativity in other areas as well.

EDIT: hmm.. perhaps i should add to this and turn it into an article...
Last edited by sillybuuger12 at Apr 15, 2008,
Writer's block is definitely a huge pain. But, like pretty much everyone else on here, I'll either write what I'm trying to express as it comes to my mind, or I'll try to do something else, read something related...anything to get the spark back. I have tons of unfinished songs because of this. A few of them I was able to collaborate with a friend and come up with something totally different.

Do what works best for you! There's more than one way to do it.