i want to upgrade the seymour duncan 59' in my washburn x50pro to a more 'hot' pup, for metal. Obviosuly, EMG's seems to be the go to pick up for metal these days, but can a gd passive do as good, or better, how do they compare?
EMGs are the best for metal but they will kill the natural tone of your guitar
The price? lol

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Bare Knuckles are the HOLY GRAIL of pickups.

I <3 BK.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
EMG:
ALL EMGs are the same
Mass Production
Active
generally louder
have a sterile sound
cheaper

No two BK are the same
you can have whatever you want
custom made
better tone
tim will do whatever you want
more expensive
i'd go BK and if you do just pm tim and he will set you up with the perfect pickups
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Last edited by BAoxymoron at Apr 10, 2008,
It all depends on the tone you are looking for. If you like EMG's and that is the tone you want then, assuming you already have a good tube amp, EMG's are the only way to go. Nothing sounds like an EMG other than EMG's. If you are not sure if EMG's are right for you then there is a good chance you will want some passive pickups. BKP's are very nice pickups indeed but there other companies that are just as good for a lot less money.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
It all depends on the tone you are looking for. If you like EMG's and that is the tone you want then, assuming you already have a good tube amp, EMG's are the only way to go. Nothing sounds like an EMG other than EMG's. If you are not sure if EMG's are right for you then there is a good chance you will want some passive pickups. BKP's are very nice pickups indeed but there other companies that are just as good for a lot less money.

Is that shameless self promotion I see there?

OP: Just remember, EMGs aren't the be all and end all for playing metal. Both Dimarzio and SD offer equally good pickups. If you want to go active, consider the Seymour Duncan Blackouts.
would getting someone to fit an active pick up in a passive pic up body be quite costly, and end up cutting holes in my guitar? (for the battery)
You can put the battery in your current control cavity.

Actives take about 2 seconds more than passives to install.

Install 2 batteries in series (18v) to give the EMGs a more organic tone/feel.

EMGs can be perfect for ANY style of music with the right setup.

EMGs are incredibly sensitive to the tonewood of your guitar.
Quote by -MintSauce-
EMGs are incredibly sensitive to the tonewood of your guitar.

That statement seems to defy the seemingly consensus opinion. I've never played an EMG equipped guitar that didn't sound like a guitar with EMG's. There were subtle differences with drastically different guitars and different pickup models, but I couldn't get over how little of the tone of the guitar itself actually came through.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
That statement seems to defy the seemingly consensus opinion. I've never played an EMG equipped guitar that didn't sound like a guitar with EMG's. There were subtle differences with drastically different guitars and different pickup models, but I couldn't get over how little of the tone of the guitar itself actually came through.

The 'consensus opinion' is formed, for the largest part, by people who have never tried EMGs, but are jumping in the anti-EMG bandwagon, and chorusing the opinions of ignorant cynics around them.

My statement revolved more around the fact that EMG pickups are fairly 'static' in their contribution to tone - like you said, and EMG-equipped guitar always sounds like just that. Whereas, most passives are reasonably dynamic - complementing different tonewoods nicely. EMGs, however, sound downright HIDEOUS in light woods, but work well with medium-weight or heavy woods. In that way, they're sensitive to tonewoods.
so you think it will sound nice with the washburn (which is mahogony)
BK. No comparison. None. Zilch. Nada. EMG's Kill Tonewood colouring. that is not a good thing, even for metal.
I've almost finished.
EMGs in a Mahogany is a great combo. Tried a Gibson ZW and an ESP set up t hat way. Very warm full, and with a defined EQ range. To say EMG's don't kill your tone is crap. No moreso than any pickup with a well defined EQ.

EDIT: Where are you btw? If you're in the US, it's really not worth it to get Bareknuckles unless you are putting them in something high end. Everyone here says they are great probably has never played any either. Seymour Duncan makes some great metal geared pickups as well (JB, Distortion, Custom 5) along with DiMarzio (EVO, ToneZone, Super Distortion).
Last edited by CJRocker at Apr 11, 2008,
Quote by -MintSauce-
Personally, I think that EMGs sound great in mahogany.

Also, everyone knows that the Dimebucker is a marketing scam. Dime never used the damn thing.

He designed it and DID have it in his last few Deans. I think they advertise it as more of a "Dime designed" pickup than a "Dime used pickup" though considering it's basically a Bill Lawrence X500 with Seymour's name he did use it in that sense. I think the BL has a bit richer tone though. Less muddy too.
im in the UK so can easily get bare knuckes for £90 each. But if EMG's ruin the tone of the guitar, why are they used in so many metal guitars?
Quote by vitchb
im in the UK so can easily get bare knuckes for £90 each. But if EMG's ruin the tone of the guitar, why are they used in so many metal guitars?

In that case, I would go Bareknuckle of Duncan or DiMarzio. EMG's DON't ruin the tone. As mentioned, it's very much a band wagon type thing. Also can't ruin tone too badly if Prince, Dave Gilmour, and Steve Lukather use them.
even the low prices in UK for BK, getting them fitted on top would be pushing it price wise for me, i want to get pickups for the summer to record, with the EMG's i can get them fitted and payed for at £89. I just assumed, as many of the artists tones i like are using EMG, they would serve me well.
Quote by vitchb
even the low prices in UK for BK, getting them fitted on top would be pushing it price wise for me, i want to get pickups for the summer to record, with the EMG's i can get them fitted and payed for at £89. I just assumed, as many of the artists tones i like are using EMG, they would serve me well.

That tone comes from their amps for the most part. The pups are just a small piece of the puzzle that gets them there. Learn to solder and you can install the pickups yourself.
well then i'll hav to buy soldering kit, therefore not saving money at first
Quote by vitchb

Don't let price alone push you into EMG's. Go to a music shop and play a guitar with emg's and see what you think of it. If it's not exactly what you want the don't get them.

If you do go passive and money is an issue don't get Bare Knuckles. Like I said before, there are other companies that can make you what you need.

Swineshead makes some very nice pickups and they cost even less than my pickups. There parts aren't quite as nice as other British pickup makers which is why their price is so low, but production methods are a HUGE factor in the tone of a pickup and swineshead does it all by hand and they do it very well.

www.shedpickups.co.uk are also very nice. Spence is a sour old fart that seems to put mojo on a higher pedistal that fact, but that doesn't change the fact that he knows his stuff and makes a damn fine pickup. He tends to stick with more distressed vintage stuff but I'm sure he could work something up for you and it would cost a lot less than BKP.

Then there is aways me. My prices are between shed and swineshead. I'd tell you how good my pickups are but I'm bias. :p
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CJRocker
In that case, I would go Bareknuckle of Duncan or DiMarzio. EMG's DON't ruin the tone. As mentioned, it's very much a band wagon type thing. Also can't ruin tone too badly if Prince, Dave Gilmour, and Steve Lukather use them.

David Gilmour HAD to use actives. He didn't have a choice. Floyd's light shows caused far too much interference with passives. He never liked the EMGs.

I do believe he has switched to different pickups recently.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by CorduroyEW

Like yours, CorduroyEW?

TS, go to Rockmonkeyguitars.com. The pickups are custom hand-wound and won't burn a hole in your pocket.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments