I'm thinking about getting a tele-style guitar and mod it to get humbuckers in both the bridge and neck (probably P90 pickups). Has anyone done this, or tried one? How does it sound? Still like a tele?

Also, do you know of any tele-style guitars that are H/H configuration? Maybe even semi-hollow?

The closest I've found is guitarfetish's xv600 and xv650: http://store.guitarfetish.com/xaxvandxvgu.html
But those aren't that much like teles.

thanks
check out the Fender '72 Custom Tele. It's Right up your street!

They sound not quite as " Glassy " as a regular tele, however they are very versatile and from what i have experienced very good to play!
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
thanks for the suggestions. But I forgot to say my price limit is about $400. Probably when I'm richer in a few years I can get one of those '72 teles, they look great.

Quote by andy331
sorry but why would u want a tele? i dont tihnk ive everr liked em

For some versatility. I'm getting a strat soon, and I already have a SG/LP style guitar, so the more variety in tones, the better. And it'll be good for classic rock and blues that I play.
Quote by andy331

Have you ever actually played one?

Threadstarter, the Squier Tele Custom is a great guitar for the price (Around $250 I think). The Custom II comes with Duncan-designed P90s and is a bargain, if you want 'middle ground' between a Strat and LP I can't think of anything better - or more unique sounding- than a P90-equipped Tele. Give it some consideration, it's a steal.
i wouldnt suggest getting a tele with humbuckers. they just arent telecasters anymore.
Quote by kyle62
Have you ever actually played one?

Threadstarter, the Squier Tele Custom is a great guitar for the price (Around $250 I think). The Custom II comes with Duncan-designed P90s and is a bargain, if you want 'middle ground' between a Strat and LP I can't think of anything better - or more unique sounding- than a P90-equipped Tele. Give it some consideration, it's a steal.

thanks, I'll consider that one too. Looks like it could be a good guitar for not much money.

Quote by werty22
P-90s are single-coil, not humbucking, btw.

Yeah, I actually meant "humbucker-sized", not humbucker.
Quote by andy331

I'm sorry but you FAIL at life now not just English.....Different people like different guitars, I myself don't care for Rhoads at all but it's obvious many people prefer them and I find Warlocks to be especially comfortable sitting down but I've never heard this from someone else...

Rondomusic has some but I'm not sure about the quality...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by andy331

im sorry, but i hate you and wish to kill you.
I'm sorry but you FAIL at life now not just English.....Different people like different guitars, I myself don't care for Rhoads at all but it's obvious many people prefer them and I find Warlocks to be especially comfortable sitting down but I've never heard this from someone else...

Haha, I assumed it was a troll, but trolls don't usually go to the effort of making a profile, complete with photos...
I am still laughing out loud, I couldn't imagine telling someone not to get something because "I never liked them", that's a lot of nerve if you ask me. I'd say Kyle62 should win a prize, not only has he answered your question (respectfully) but he found you exactly what you asked for, even for less money. You win,
andy331 "sorry but why would u want a tele? i dont tihnk ive everr liked em" FAIL
I'm interested in how this thread turns out since I like Tele's but I don't want to get one with humbuckers since that's no longer a Tele but I don't want to change the jangly pickup since that would also detract from the Tele'ness.......I want to play Metal on one though!
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The new J5 tele has three humbuckers. Check that one out, it looks real cool. Also the Jim Root signature has two EMGs.
Quote by BladeSlinger
I want to play Metal on one though!

then why don't you. If i can get a insane metal tone out of a gretsch hollow body then you can get what you want out of a tele.

TS
i'd recommend getting an HSS instead it keeps the teles sig sound yet allows for humbucker bite when necessary or even better keep the three singles and get a single coil sized humbucker
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
I have one with a humbucker and one set up "normal". I don't think that there is a right or wrong, just an opinion.
Quote by BAoxymoron
then why don't you. If i can get a insane metal tone out of a gretsch hollow body then you can get what you want out of a tele.

TS
i'd recommend getting an HSS instead it keeps the teles sig sound yet allows for humbucker bite when necessary or even better keep the three singles and get a single coil sized humbucker

I never could get much from a single coil that was too my liking so I assumed the Tele would get the same results as my Step dad's Strat...
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
A very, very nice Tele, with humbuckers, is the G&L ASAT Deluxe, which comes in solid body and semi-hollow varieties.
TS, get the Standard MIM Fender Tele. It's $400 and they're pretty much...amazing. I have one. Watch out for lemons, though.

Quote by BladeSlinger
I'm interested in how this thread turns out since I like Tele's but I don't want to get one with humbuckers since that's no longer a Tele but I don't want to change the jangly pickup since that would also detract from the Tele'ness.......I want to play Metal on one though!

Get a Standard Tele. Put a stacked SD Hot Rails in the neck, or route the neck for a humbucker and you have more options.

Having it in the neck position gives you more bass response(Teles are very bright).

Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
This might help the TS and I have a question about it. How much if any twang would be kept by this pickup? http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/telecaster/cutting-edge/hot_rails_for_t/
I kind of want the twangy sound to help diversify my playing but at the same time I don't want to have a twangy sound when I want a normal clean or distorted sound.....

Never mind, the person above me answered my question. Thanks
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Apr 11, 2008,
If I get a MIM standard tele, would it be a lot of trouble to modify it for dual P90s? Or just a P90 for the neck?
I don't know much about modifying guitars. Would I be able to get a tele and give it three pickups?
for p90s - you would need to check the pickup cavities. if they are big enough, you would just need to get a pickguard that fits p-90s. otherwise you would have to do some woodwork.

and for three pickups - you would need to do some serious woodwork, it wouldnt be worth it imo.

i would recommend trying out all the diff combos mentioned above, and also try a mim w/ texas special p'ups, nocaster p'ups and noiseless p'ups. see which one you like best.