So. i have a fender mark hoppus j/p bass. my tone is pretty awesome but i hate the whole "not original" thing (anyone whose ever owned a signature would understand). so i was thinking about taking one of those duncan high output stingray style humbuckers in it. i know i'd have to cut out a big chunk of my pickguard and the wiring would probably be pretty screwy as the pup is made for a 3 eq active bass. but i dont think anyones ever done it before. im planning on getting an svt-3 classic and a 8x10 cab. what do you think?
i did it. it should be fine, you just have to mutilate your pickguard and cut off the extra wires.
top 7 bands to see before i die

sublime (seen)
nirvana (seen 2 times)
the beatles (seen)
jimi hendrix (seen)
bob marley (got tickets)
the doors (buying tickets soon)
frank sinatra
creed (seen 9 times)
ray charles (seen)
You're getting an Ampeg 8x10 and are speaking of originality. That's somewhat laughable. At any rate, my personal opinion on the subject is, if you don't have a reason involving tone of the bass, don't change the pickups. For the record Fender used to sell (I'm not sure if they still do?) a p-bass with a humbucker in it. I don't know if anyone's done it with that specific model but I would bank on it.
yeah cant see why its not do-able. it would definitely be an interesting mod job.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You're getting an Ampeg 8x10 and are speaking of originality. That's somewhat laughable.

im talking about the bass being original. not the amp.
Sounds like fun. Solder a mini 3p3t switch in there, and you can have series/parallel/single coil modes as a cheap bonus.
Fender never fitted that to the P-Deluxe, so that puts you one-up on Fender...
...eh?
As for the scratchplate - use a ruler and a craft knife to mark the cuts, cut with a fine blade hacksaw, and tidy it up with high-grade wet'n'dry. Should look ok if you're careful.

Keep us posted if you do it
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I'm just saying, it seems a little mental.

Aw come on, Im sure he's talking about the looks more than anything.

I mean, how often have you seen a Hucker in neck postion on a J body?
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
am i seeing 2 single coils at the bridge on that jazz bass, now that would sound tasty
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Yea, apparently Mr. Oakley liked his guild bass' tone, but disliked the playability. So, he threw the humbucker in a jazz.
you know, that sounds like a good idea, with just a passive 500k tone pot and a .047 um capacitor in there, and you'll be rockin' that thing more than the man wants you to (because mark hoppus was created by the man to make money)
Member of the "Shoop Da Woop" club, PM to Join
If you love the tone that you have now, why change it? Who cares if someone says you're not original? There's no point sacrificing your tone to be original.

However, if you think the tone could be significantly improved by changing the pickups, go for it.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Putting a pickup in for looks?...?!

didn't you get the memo, it's all the rage now, fashion over function and all that.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
So, you're trying to get the sound from the Dude Ranch era, but not in a music man body?

Nice!
once again, you were beaten to it
i love these basses though

http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/

look at some of the california P-style PM basses
gonna be hard to find them though

EDIT: save up, and buy this!
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=06052211244218&guitars=23

NOW!
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Last edited by Jonn0 at Apr 11, 2008,
Hmmm....my bad, I thought he used an old Hagstrom humbucker. Well anyways its the same size of a humbucker!

Berry kicked a**!!!!!!!!