Poll: do you alt pick when muting
Poll Options
View poll results: do you alt pick when muting
yes
36 88%
no only downstrockes or upstrockes
5 12%
Voters: 41.
Ive recently been playing some good o'le at the gates (slaughter of the soul of course) and have been downpicking on the muted parts, this leads to my question, do you guys ONLY use downstroke when muting or do you guys alt pick?
I mostly downpick. If it's ridiculously fast, I alt. pick, if it's technical and slightly slower, I automatically downpick completely.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
i usually alt pick, unless its something that requires only downpicking. either works though.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
I alternate pick when muting and not muting. I dunno its natural to me now

I only downpick on those slow chugger parts. Even then i still sometimes alternate pick
I alternate pick with all my songs, i find it much easier, even if it's a slow song
If I want a more percussive tone, downpick. Otherwise, alt pick. I'm working on my upstroking technique though.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by Slaytanic1993
I mostly downpick. If it's ridiculously fast, I alt. pick, if it's technical and slightly slower, I automatically downpick completely.

That is me.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
it depends on the song
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
lol
always alt pick
it takes less effort lol
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
I never down pick. It took me a ****load of practice to e able to get the downpicked tone using altpicking. Its this odd bouncing at every time the pick hits a string.
Quote by StealthyHayze
For some reason i find it ridiculously hard to alt pick when muting suggestions?

Yeah a friend of mines has that problem. However, he down picks so fast, it is not really a problem except for fatigue that down picking causes on the hands.

My recommendation is alter your pickin slightly to allow you to palm mute. So change the angle of the hand that way the palm can go to the strings with more ease. Pick as perpendicular to the strings as possible when this way to get that downpicked type of tone in your alt. The rest is loosen up. When i alternate pick palmed, my hand looks like its bouncing, but i can do it really really fast.
I mostly downpick on muted parts but when it's straight 8th or 16th I alt. pick for a more consistent sound....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by nyandres
Yeah a friend of mines has that problem. However, he down picks so fast, it is not really a problem except for fatigue that down picking causes on the hands.

My recommendation is alter your pickin slightly to allow you to palm mute. So change the angle of the hand that way the palm can go to the strings with more ease. Pick as perpendicular to the strings as possible when this way to get that downpicked type of tone in your alt. The rest is loosen up. When i alternate pick palmed, my hand looks like its bouncing, but i can do it really really fast.

Thanks ill experiment with that, its just that i find i can get a much better sound downpicking
Quote by Waterboy799
it depends on the song

+1
REAALLY fast: Alt. Picking, normally you can tell if Alt. picking is used by the sound.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by StealthyHayze
Thanks ill experiment with that, its just that i find i can get a much better sound downpicking

Its true. Thats why my hand seems to be bouncing. The bouncing motion allows me to get the alternate picked tone. Petrucci does that too. Its really hard to explain.
Depends. I alt pick if I am just picking strings but if I have to play a muted power chord I do all downs.